Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

greatn posted:

There is actually no official 3.5 Darksun, we're using a fanmade one. That actually allowed turning of undead for clerics and templars, but my GM said it is stupid for clerics with no gods to have the ability to turn undead, so he didn't give it to us. As a concession he gave us the ability to turn or command elementals of a given type. That's come up exactly zero times.

Both Dungeon and Dragon have released translations, drat near enough to play with actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Sock posted:

Why did Haley shoot Roy in the balls? :raise:

I can't for the life of me figure out what the point of that was.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Choke Babies Now posted:

I'm still hoping that Vaarsuvius happens to have a few scrolls of something-or-other tucked away for a rainy day like this. What wizard doesn't, really?

It's certainly possible that at this point he's even out of them. It's been a long fight after all, and the last time he went scroll shopping it was only booster packs, so he may be left only with Feather Fall scrolls.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Sam Hall posted:

Go gently caress yourselves; Wonderella is fantastic.

I'm with Sam Hall here, I enjoyed the crap out of Wonderella.

Remember Order of the Stick? That's a great comic.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

GigaPeon posted:

Does being Good aligned prevent you from running in fear/self preservation?

No Alignment prevents/compels you to do anything, it's an indication of how you are likely to act, perhaps even the way that your character should act by their own standard of measure. Really alignment works the other way, Alignment doesn't dictate actions, actions determine Alignment.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Endrite posted:

Who casts Magic Missile at level 1? That's just 1d4+1 points of damage per day. Any level 1 wizard worth his salt is going to be at least rocking Sleep.

Any level 1 Wizard who knows what he's doing is going to have more than one 1st level spell. Magic Missile is automatic damage, no roll to hit, no saving throw and at first level you're not dealing with Spell Resistance so it's a guarantee. Magic Missile certainly gets better when you're unloading more than one, but Sleep gets a saving throw and doesn't effect a lot of things that you're likely to be facing at first level like undead and elves. And undead elves. And once you hit second or third level you're going to be up against things with more than 4 hit dice and Sleep becomes useless.

Therefore Magic Missile is entirely superior to Sleep :colbert:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Talkie Toaster posted:

d4+1 damage averages 3.5, d8 damage averages 4.5. As an elf, you're better off just shooting them (unless they're behind cover). And even if they are behind cover, that's three of them a day, against the recommended four encounters a day on average.

Assuming you hit, which is far from a guarantee as a 1st level Wizard. You use normal ranged attacks against the shock troops, but when it comes time to kill the boss of the dungeon, a Magic Missile is going to do more good than Sleep or Arrows.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Why they didn't just give them fighter bonus feats, I have no idea.

So you had your choice of playing Legolas or Drizzt.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

That's the weird thing; the ranger is based mostly on Aragorn and Legolas, neither of whom used two-weapon fighting in the books, at least not that I can remember.

I'm not entirely sure. Aragorn had Anduril and didn't really need an off-handed weapon, and it's been too long since I've read the trilogy to recall Legolas using anything but the bow, although I seem to recall him getting a knife from Galadriel. Aragorn really is the proto-typical Ranger if you go back far enough, I mean after all they call him a loving ranger in Fellowship. Aragorn does do a little TWF in the Fellowship film when fighting the wights but that's about it. Rangers have always had it rough combat-wise, hell even in 3.0 they got TWF at first level and that was pretty much it, you took one level and then went back to Fighter. I like the changes they made in 3.5, they really made the Ranger distinct from Fighter.

Talkie Toaster posted:

I've seen quite a few good rangers who make use of their class skills- I think they get Hide and Move Silently? And with track and their spells they're better than fighters if you're in a more skill-oriented campaign.

That's really the key and why it wouldn't work to make their features Feats for Fighters, it's the skills that separate the Rangers from the Fighters, the stealth and recon aspects in addition to the tracking and killing.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I tried to follow Goblins and I liked it for a little while. The thing that killed it for me is that the author has absolutely no sense of timing or pacing.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

bgaesop posted:

Warlords the CCG. Fairly good game, but losing popularity rapidly. It also suffers from having too many expansions making it too complicated (kind of like DnD!) but this is one of the first cards ever made for it.

I miss Warlords, it's a fun game but I never played after the first expansion. I actually have a card that's me, I know two of the three creators, so it's always been near and dear to me. I've never played the actual RPG though, I wonder if it's any good.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

bgaesop posted:

Whoah, like an official card or a custom card?

An official one; Murgan. He was based on an old Changeling character I used to play, a redcap named Jack Morgan who was a warlord in a past live called "The Murgan". There's no picture at the link, but here's the card image:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

NutShellBill posted:

I think it's something simpler, like Roy and his little brother playing somewhere they shouldn't have been, after Eugene told them to go make up their own fun, while he did "important" things.

Roy's little brother drowns/is eaten/is trampled/falls on a sharp object, and the wedge is driven between Roy and Eugene.

I dunno, read Roy's dialog again, "I know it wasn't my fault. I know that. I was just a kid, it wasn't my job to watch the grown-up. But... I should have done something. I knew it wasn't safe." Roy didn't do it, Eugene did. Roy was just an unlucky bystander. Now I really hope something awful happens to Eugene.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Vanadium posted:

What, something like dying and not being allowed into the afterlife?

There are far, far worse things that can happen to a soul outside it's body and home plane, Outsiders have plenty of horrific things that they can (and will) do.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Gassire posted:

I wonder if there will be a strip whenever they level up or if it's just been happening silently. Belkar is confirmed to be 13 during the Mizo fight so I would assume since then he's gotten enough xp to be 14 or so.

There was, Belkar was a little short and gave a weepy speech to earn the last few XP as a roleplaying award. Then he went to the Barbarian's Guild and had a side-plot there.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Eckertmania posted:

I'm looking at it right now and it doesn't say anything about only being able to use Sneak Attack only once per round. As long as the person is flat footed (or denied their DEX) and they aren't consealed in anyway or immune to Sneak Attack, you can do it to your heart's content.

This is correct, smart rogues are going to do ungodly amounts of damage.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Ashcans posted:

So enough about it and more about OotS! I need to know what's going on with Haley and Belkar! Are they alive? Do they still have Roy's body? Are they leading the resistance of a few brave fighters left behind, or are they disguised as an aging goblin couple that sells souvenirs and 'I razed Azure City' shirts?

Well Haley and Belkar are totally still alive, I don't think there's any question of that. I don't think they're still hauling Roy's dessicated carcass around though, I suspect they've stashed it someplace safe.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

ZorbaTHut posted:

How long do level drains last? Because they've always seemed horrifically powerful to me, especially if they're permanent.

It's not a level drain yet, just a negative level so he may not be completely hosed just yet. Of course, he is going to be hosed because it's funnier.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

greatn posted:

Level drains really are a steaming pile of bullshit. I think it is a lot more lax in 3.5 though.

And thankfully when 4e rolls around they'll be gone entirely. Because gently caress them.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

SlimGoodbody posted:

In order to make a somewhat relevant post, what do you think Rich is gonna do when 4th ed comes out? I know OotS started with the dawn of 3.5. Do you think the Snarl is gonna somehow gently caress everything up, causing the in-world rules to evolve into 4th ed, sort of like how Vecna (I think it was Vecna) begat 3rd ed in the Dead Gods 2nd ed campaign?

Well to no small extent, he can't update it without killing off at least one major character; Elan. The Bard class isn't going to be in the first PHB, we likely won't get the Bard until PHB II in 2009, and there's no way that Elan can be anything else, it just doesn't work. I hope he just keeps going on with things as they are, it's more than a 3.5 comic, it's a comic about fantasy gaming really and that can stand fine as it is. If anything there's humor to be mined about it not being 4e. It's a finite story from what I've heard and there is an end planned so I figure he'll just keep going on as is.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Gary Gygax died today. I hope he gets to hang out with Roy for a bit.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

team overhead smash posted:

:siren:New strip is up:siren:

Whoever called Roy hanging with Gygax was dead on.

I'm glad I was right, but dammit I'm getting all weepy over here. :unsmith:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Foodpie posted:

Okay, so based on the size of the box, and the shadow cast by the umbrella, and the level of strength displayed in the past, what possibilities exist for the creature in the box?

Super-mega-Skrull. In Terrasque form.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

gothfae posted:

- Pft...

Why is this not a purchased smiley? (I wish I had a job so I could buy it myself :()

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

That goes well beyond evil, that's just loving petty. And this is how you create a satisfying villain.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Kahrytes posted:

Not really. If Captain America, the ideal Paladin

That's way too meta to be useful here. Captain America isn't a Paladin, he doesn't have an alignment and the reality is this; Paladins have a Code that they are obligated to follow but obligation is not the same as compulsion. They can choose to go against the Code and may well suffer consequences for it. O-Chul has no few levels of Fighter under his belt, more than he does Paladin and so if lying to a creature who is purely evil and malevolent does indeed strip him of his Paladin abilities, it may be worth it in his eyes. He'd have a pretty strong case to make when he at some point gets free and asks a Cleric for an Atonement spell.

Besides, his actions clearly have proven an inspiration to the slaves. O-Chul is the man.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Mr. Moon posted:

Are those the guys out of the Book of Nine Swords? cause I'm pretty sure they took pointers from those classes/books for 4e Fighters and Warlords.

Book of Nine Swords was a field test for a lot of the mechanics and design concepts that are crucial to 4e, albeit more simple in a lot of ways.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

To be fair, revealing information to a clearly evil enemy that would result in further damage to reality and therefore untold innocents could be seen as an act of evil. O-Chul is trying to stonewall them wholesale, to give them nothing that could further their cause, while at the same time trying to stay alive so that he can help defend his people and his city, which he is sworn to do. To me, it sounds like tremendously reasonable behavior for a Paladin.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

It sounds to me like Monster-san was just commenting on the weather and on what his friend Mr. Stiffly had told him, I don't think there's anything suggesting that he caused the weather.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

ZorbaTHut posted:

Vaarsuvius is not looking so good.

Banjo, on the other hand, is looking better than ever. Until it all goes to poo poo.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

The man knows his plot elements that is for sure.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

drat. You tell him Elan!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't mind the speed of things and is just enjoying seeing where things go?

Nope, I'm with you. I'm still enjoying the hell out of the strip, it's the characters that are the draw for me, far more than the over-arching story.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

The Werle posted:

I fail to see how he could sneak attack her when she was expecting to be attacked.

She was flanked, it's an exposed weak spot. Sneak Attack isn't necessarily a matter of surprise, it's not that you were hit, it's where you were hit.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

:rock: YES MOTHERFUCKERS. This is going to be the tits on the bee's knees.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

:siren: New Strip! :siren:

A valuable lesson for us all.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

That was a tremendously satisfying strip. That was french toast and bacon satisfying.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

You know, I didn't fully get the "mobs" joke until just this very moment, which actually makes me appreciate it more. Also, it makes me feel a little dumb, but I'm used to that.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Commissar Lord posted:

What happens to all the people who are standing below where the flying dragons just died?

Something not all that dissimilar to the dragons themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Cabbit posted:

Psionics has been a part of D&D for awhile, albeit an option one, going back to whenever Dark Sun was introduced at least.

In fact, since AD&D 1st Edition.