Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Gumby posted:

Yeah, I'm officially gay for Roy now. I also hoped for more combat prowess from Shinjo, but hey. If Miko's a star villain, NPCs can't be the ones to put her down.
Didn't he say at one point that he's a high-level Aristocrat? Unless he has some kind of Chosen of Whoever prestige class, an artifact, or something like that, he's not going to be worth much in combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Am I the only one amused by the Gobwin Knob comics?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Fuego Fish posted:

None of the classic elements are actually elements. You've got air (mixture), water (compound), earth (mixture again) and fire (reaction). Also, if you go by the Turner hypothesis, you have heart (internal organ) which isn't an element at all.
Robert Boyle? Is that you?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

gothfae posted:

A skeletal dragon would not fly, there would be no meat.
Human skeletons shouldn't be able to stand, either. It's magic.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

gothfae posted:

Except the concept of flying skeletal dragons with leather flaps has been addressed in a dragon article about uses for dragon parts. Rght before the section on boats made out of dragon parts.
drat, I wish that instead of going on a date last night I'd read a magazine article about dragon skeleton boats.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I like Erfworld a lot better now that they have "bonus Thursdays" that explain the plot so the characters don't have to.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

greatn posted:

Oh, I thought a Death Knight would just use the same HP as the Paladin he was before he died.
Nope. Characters like fighters and barbarians actually end up with less HP if they become undead.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I like OotS and you guys are taking this all way, way, way too seriously. I can only assume that the real reason Dragon magazine collapsed was because they were buried under the weight of the angry fan letters they got after they started publishing OotS.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Ferrinus posted:

Homocide would probably mean killing you specifically and that's not evil at all :owned:
He didn't say homocide, he said homomcide, which means your mom's a whore and I killed her :iceburn:

Hey, anyone else thinks it's funny that Belkar mocks Elan for taking bard levels, when Belkar's a hilariously badly-made character?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Gyges posted:

They were flying away. Shockwaves, much like falling, rely on impact with solid objects to harm you through sudden deceleration. If you're flying away from the blast however, all it's going to do is increase your flight speed. The Doppler effect on Xykon's evil cackling should be pretty rad though.
Not that it even matters, because A)this is D&D physics where all explosive effects are 100% effective within a certain radius and 0% effective outside of it, and B) what is wrong with you people, it's a stick-figure cartoon comic strip! :psyduck:

Ferrinus posted:

I-I-I j-just wanted to talk about Alignment, I'm sorry :(
Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > D&D Megathread

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
See, this is funny.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I am positively beaming. :D :gibs:

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 12, 2007

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Redcloak will abandon the hobgoblins now that they serve no purpose. And the hobgoblins will revive Roy just because. And after he proves himself to them, he will become a master of the Iron Heart style. And Ray will be a Warblade and Xykon will be FUUUUUUCKED.

I wish.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Despite what others have said, I really like Erfworld. I just wish it didn't update at a snail's pace.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Calaveron posted:

New Erfworld, too.
The loving retarded cutesy names for poo poo really riles me up. It makes the whole strip unreadable.
It's sort of part of the joke.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

:hist101:
So basically, his troops attack, then run away from the fight before they can get counterattacked?

It sorta reminds me of a trick in Heroes of Might & Magic (oh how I love this game). Send a hero out with just a single weak troop to engage the enemy, but then just have them cast a damaging spell on the enemy's troops. Of course, you lose the 2500 gold you spent to hire the hero, but you can easily kill off more than 2500 gold worth of troops if the hero is armed with a good spell.

Edit: You know, now that I think about it, I'll bet the levelling system is just like the one in HoMM: The unit as a whole doesn't level, just the warlord. Stanley says as much.

I would enjoy Erfworld a lot more if it updated more often and moved through the plot at a quicker pace. I don't think that the cutesy names are ZOMG ROFL hilarious, but I don't know why everyone hates them. I think the comic would be more boring if Parson wasn't a huge geek and the troops were standard knights and dragons.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 19, 2007

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
New Erfworld.

It appears that Stanley's reliance on uncroaked troopers is going to bite him in the rear end. Worse, it could screw up Parson's masterstroke.

Of course, I was never a big fan of Ender's Game type plans, anyway.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
You guys get a billion pages of faggotry about D&D alignment, I get one or two pages about Erfworld. Deal. t:black101: t:hist101:

NutShellBill posted:

The fact that the arkenpliers can take down undead is a minimal concern; all of the overlords in the dragon group are expendable, and the arkenhammer ensures that Stanley could order a full withdrawl if he needed to. Anson's welcome to engage dragons head on to get to them as well.
What does the Arkenhammer do, exactly?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
And now we're arguing about which crappy discussion is crappiest; talk about progress!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I just hope Vinnie Doombats doesn't bite it. He's the most likable character on the "good guys" side.

Edit: No pun intended.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Tupperwarez posted:

And of course knowing the writer's track record with Nice Things, we'll find out five issues in that Vinnie is a homopedonecrophiliac.
Would that last part really be a big deal? :drac: :j:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I think they'd have been fine if they stuck to the update schedule. Since they don't, getting one of those feels like getting cheated out of a regular comic.

Honestly, most of Erfworld's problems would be fixed by a consistent schedule.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

ZorbaTHut posted:

Side note: I am amused by The Arkenhammer's occupation.
Which is oddly incorrect; if it does something, it's not a MacGuffin.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Yeah, I'm sure Stanley's ability to make dragons swarm around and threaten to toast Parson was due to the Arkenhammer. In fact, for all we know, Gobwin Knob may not even produce dragons; he may only have them because of the Arkhenhammer.

(Or, if the "game" is anything like many other games of its type, like Heroes of Might and Magic, his town would only be producing one colour of dragon if it produced them at all. I'll bet him having several colours of dragon is due to the Arkenhammer.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Because he shits on them?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

So they just got a cool 4k if they remember to pick up the gems - which is a lot more common a problem than you'd think. The PC's supplication: "Of COURSE I would have done that! Except I didn't say I did, so I, you know, didn't! But I totally WOULD have, so my intention of doing something is clearly equivalent to actually doing it!"

Some DMs relent on poo poo like that, but I ain't one of 'em. Which leads to hilarious situations like desperate runs from the police whereby nobody managed to remember the car keys.
You actually make the players say "I turn off the ignition, turn off the headlights, roll up the windows, get out, lock the doors, and put the key in my pocket?"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
New Erfworld is up, unless that hurts anyone's feelings.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Guys, we need to stop making GBS threads up this thread with Erfworld discussion, so we can get back to arguing over D&D rules minutiae or whether Haley killed 23, 24, or 25 hobgoblins.

Anyway, I still really hope Doombats doesn't get croaked, and btw, those treant things are loving creepy. "Uhuhuhuhuh!" :haw: (neck snap)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Is anyone keep track of how often the comics really get updated? Because it ain't M/W/F.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Out of curiosity, is there a way to reverse vampirism?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
The way I ruled it is that when someone gets undeadified, their soul is captured or held in a sort of stasis, and what's running their body is basically an evilfied version of their personality, like a corrupted copy of a file. Killing the undead releases the soul so the original person can be raised.

But Idunno how it works according to official rules.

Edit: :doh: True Resurrections specifically says that it can revive someone who's been turned undead and then destroyed.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 12, 2007

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

LuchadoresDelNixon posted:

Possibly, but
that's not what he was referring to.

D10's Ahoy!

It took me awhile to get it. I was like "but he'll be switching from d10s to d12s..."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Piell posted:

It has to be at least 9, since he only needed a single Owl's Wisdom to use scrolls of Cure Serious Wounds, which as a third level spell requires a 13 wisdom.
See, this is a line we shouldn't be crossing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Dude, there's been a whole new edition.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I am really annoyed by everyone's tendency to have to play some sort of goof-rear end creature/template combination just because it makes them a badass in combat. Yeah, it's super-cool that your half-dragon half-fiend minotaur riding a dire elephant is unbeatable in combat, dude. How about play something that can actually communicate with the people he meets, instead of inciting every commoner in sight to run for torches and pitchforks?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 15, 2007

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Actually, I don't think that emphasizing the dungeon thing contributes to it, if you do it right. Usually the same people who are doing this stuff aren't packing basic equipment when they go into dungeons.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

greatn posted:

I used to enjoy Bob and George honestly, mainly the way the characters would gently caress with each other when it came to time travel mechanics. But man in retrospect it sucks. Then ending really sucked, too. The whole arc was mary sueing his characters versus another character that out mary-sues them. It's over now though, and I like the subcomic MSPaint Masterpieces by another guy on that site though.

I liked B&G when it was actually about spoofing the storyline of the Mega Man games. Later in the series, once they were done with that, it just degenerated into endless crap with stupid new characters and "I hate time travel" over and over and over again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
How could a high-level paladin not make that save? Dang.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
More AD&D weirdness: For those of you who don't know, the reason Rangers get TWF is because that was an extra benny given to them in AD&D 2nd ed., for whatever reason. You didn't have to use it, but you could if you wanted. Then, of course, the Drizzt books started, and so they had to incorporate TWF into Rangers in 3.0. Why they didn't just give them fighter bonus feats, I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

rantmo posted:

So you had your choice of playing Legolas or Drizzt.
That's the weird thing; the ranger is based mostly on Aragorn and Legolas, neither of whom used two-weapon fighting in the books, at least not that I can remember.