Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Werle posted:

Personally I'd crop out the bubble and just have a larger picture of Thog. As is its a little too small to make the avatar grab your eye, and the quote in the bubble does nothing to enhance it.

If it were me, I'd leave the 'Nale!' and put in as much of the Nale/Not Nale speech as I can in the quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I have no idea why I find 'Ellipses, really.' to be the funniest line in that comic.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hah. They've had to take their message boards offline because too many people are trying to view this comic.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Efreet saiid posted:

No, but i'm he might stumble across Roy's corpse, wich would be mega-awesome.

I can see him being up for a fun bit of desecration.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh man, I was going through the archives, and somehow I missed, the first time around, the one where we see that the letter Miko was carrying back from the Dwarven Lands, and lost, was a letter inviting Durkon to return whenever he sees fit.

Bloody hell. He doesn't get a break.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if doing this in a city would trigger the Mark of Justice.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Geshtal posted:

Sorry to shoehorn in on the, um... "discussion" (for Pete's sake, he used a Titanium Elemental and people are getting pissy about the rules now?), but has anyone taken the trouble to translate what Haley was saying all that time she incomprehensible?

This thread was started after all that stuff was over, so it never really got that much discussion. That's an interesting one, though.

There's a full compilation of what she says over here on the OOTS forums.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

gothfae posted:

But... according to Wikipedia it's "critically acclaimed"...

Gimmie a moment.

Okay. Now according to Wikipedia I have the largest penis in recorded human history.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

farraday posted:

The bending the rules refers to the control weather/sonic boom, but what the 12 eastern gods wouldn't let him do was grant Durkon speed to get to Hinjo faster.

So I guess we can assume they don't mind Thor doing the standard stuff? As I understand it, all of Durkon's heals and magic is just him asking Thor to do it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

RentACop posted:

I didn't see anyone mention why "fire" is wrong in this case. You don't fire an arrow, you fire a gun, as in set fire to the powder dealy.

Once upon a time, yes, but now it's a generic english word for shoot the thingy at the other thingy. Setting fire to powder is merely word origins, and is covered under they don't speak English but they are anyway clause.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is Burlew developing a thing for sonic damage?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Soylentbits posted:

Has anyone else mentioned the possibility of hooded paladin being ghost Roy? It's probably been mentioned but I really want Roy to do something of use this battle.

Doubtful. The hooded ghost was one of the living Sapphire Guard that got insane'd to death.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

At the very least, if they can hold the city, I suppose this particular gate can probably be reconstructed with difficulty. (And yeah, the explosion at the castle wasn't because of the gate being destroyed, it was the method of destroying the gate) All depends on if the Snarl will try to prevent it from being closed, but it hasn't been too active thus far. I think that the rifts probably need to be given time since their unsealing before they're open to the point where they can cause damage. Remember, they were around for a while before the last gate was finished. I don't think this is as bad a situation as people are making it out to be here.

And I think Miko was pretty justified in what she was doing here. She enters, sees the Ghosts getting their arses kicked by Redcloak, Soon locked in battle with Xykon, and O'Chul paralysed whilst trying to destroy the gate, something she knows is a last-resort better than letting it fall into Xykon's hands. Going 'Oh crap better finish what they're trying to do' is a fairly reasonable decision, if a hasty one.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

JoeSchmoe posted:

I believe the explanation is that the gods can fix the rifts, but to do so involves unmaking the world.

(I was bored last night and went on a trip through the archives)

Yeah, but there's no reason, and this always bugged me, why they aren't making every effort and casting all the rolls and divine favour for the team that's trying to save the gates and keep sealed the god killing monster.

I suppose they'd have to be fairly certain that they can remake the world and the Snarl's prison quickly enough should it all come down that they themselves aren't in any particular danger, so they can sit back and be aloof and 'it's up to the mortals to save themselves lah dee dah crumpets?'

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FMguru posted:

That's pretty D&Dish, though. They put in the effort by giving a chunk of their divine power to clerics and paladins. If the Gods directly intervened in real-world matters on a regular basis, there'd be no need for parties of adventurers to do anything.

Yeah, I'm not saying I'd expect them to intervene all the time, but I'm surprised they're not making an exception for the people trying to secure the bloody Snarl.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

UberJew posted:

Unfortunately the concussive force of the explosion is probably a force effect, and thus would effect an ethereal creature like Soon just fine, but likely allowed a reflex save, meaning that Miko is completely unharmed.

The explosion might not hurt her, but how about the disintegration of the building she's currently in? Even if we ignore debris, she's in for a bit of a fall.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder what the Snarl would look like in the comic today should we see a bit of it? I always assumed it would just be the crayon scrawl, but the crayon indicated flashback, so I'm wondering it viewed in the comic proper it would be a mess of writhing solid lines.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

farraday posted:

Oooh perfect. Get Weapon Proficiency: Phylactery then beat the Lich to death with his own soul.

There is no way that doesn't work.

But what do you beat his soul to death with, then?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

People are saying that her death was meaningless because she didn't learn anything, but I think she did there, just for a few frames. She was told by the founder of her order why she was a bad Paladin, and rather than arguing, or deflecting blame, she just... accepted it, and indicated that she could deal with not being a Paladin. Clueless Miko would have argued up to the moment the x's appeared.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vicissitude posted:

Just giving it a helpful nudge out of orbit would at least start it in an ever-increasing orbit until it collides with something big or hot enough to kill it.

Noo, it'd just put it into a higher orbit. You'd still need to push it out at escape velocity for a proper escape.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

As per the teleport spell description, interplanar travel is not possible. It's 100 miles per caster level, so putting it into earth orbit is possible.

Well, for geostationary you'd need to be about level 223, assuming a planet around the same size and mass of Earth. And for any lower orbit you'd have to also be able to give it an impossibly huge amount of velocity to make stable orbit and not fall down.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 25, 2007

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

NutShellBill posted:

They've also destroyed 3 out of 5 gates, albeit one happens in a prequel book, so, we might even be 3/5th of the way there, give or take an epilogue.

Well, destroying all the gates doesn't end the plot, it just leaves them with a rather larger problem.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

NorgLyle posted:

Although weirdly enough, I've always mentally heard Xykon as James Woods. I've never even considered James Earl Jones, simply because nothing Xykon has ever said has any real gravitas.

That's the hilarious thing, though. He's James Earl Jones, but he's flippant James Earl Jones. Can you imagine it?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DoctorTristan posted:

I wonder if Miko made it into LG heaven; maybe there's another reunion coming up?

Soon pretty much said she wasn't going to the same place as them (And her horsie), so I don't think she made it into Lawful Good. I suspect she's kicking around Mechanus in Lawful Neutral land. She really was trying to be lawful, even if she was batshit insane. She sprang to mind when Roy's bureaucratic angel was talking about all that trying stuff.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 11, 2007

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wow. For some reason, that rift is really, really unsettling to look at.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jonked posted:

Here's the point you seem to be missing: the rules say Paladins can't lie, or they lose their powers. There is no caveat to that, no exceptions in the rules.

Except the part where the rules say a gross violation of the code will cause a Paladin to lose his powers. Allowing for, say, non-gross violations in there somewhere?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Scopedog posted:

I think that this is going to bite them on the rear end when the monster turns out to be True Neutral.

Have we ever seen indication that it's actually evil? It might be theoretically netural or good, just too stupid and out of touch with the world to realise when it's being used for evil, even as it kills people.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Geshtal posted:

On the other hand, maybe it's just evil with an absurdly low intelligence stat.

Wait, that's not the initial assumption we were running with?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I foresee a difficult decision for Elan: to abandon Banjo to his fate in order to save the rest of them, or risk all their lives to make sure everyone makes it out alive.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Meanwhile, in Azure City! :downs:

Cylon-Occupied Azure City? Meh. I prefer Fleet stories.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

goatface posted:

He could be a charisma-high paladin.

He was never a paladin. He was a city-guard who's been recently promoted to nobility. All signs point to simple fighter, though I don't think they've established his class for certain, so there could be some other details in there.

The surviving Azurians seem to be a lot more interesting nowadays. I'm not sure if it's because they're out of the city and developing or just because he culled all the boring ones.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 26, 2008

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Just out of curiosity, if Roy were resurrected, what would happen to the Elemental Spirit bound to the skeleton?

Also, I can't explain why I find panel 2 so hilarious. I think it's the way she doesn't even look up.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 18, 2008

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Donraj posted:

I do believe Burlew is getting his stride back.

I'm a goddamn baby-making, life-taking MACHINE! is totally going on a T-shirt. I'm calling it right now.

I'm just curious if he's going to make it to be a women's fit only.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

You know, I can't even remember and asking is faster than reading 100 comics: What did Lord Shojo actually do that broke the laws of Azure City?

He fixed the trial of the Order of the Stick, for one thing. I can't remember if the whole not-telling-anyone-about-the-gate or interfering with the other ones thing was enshrined in law, but if so then bringing them in on that might have been illegal too. He certainly broke his oaths on that count.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Sep 20, 2008

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Okay, I admit I laughed out loud at this one. That was a breath of fresh air.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Update Time!

Click here for the full 754x1818 image.

PLOT!

Okay, interrupted plot, but plot nonetheless.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The last few panels got a laugh out of me. And it looks like it's full steam ahead here. I'm back into this again.

Amused Frog posted:

And rehosted.

Huh, I've never noticed this before, but there are no external ads on the comic page at OOTS. Just the one there for his own book. Surely a few subtle Adwords might pay for some better hosting?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

drat, I guess this means that Priest of Loki's not joining up with the gang.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

shadysight posted:

I'm having trouble verbalizing how inconceivably stupid that plan would have to be, between letting his friends he fully intends to save be ambushed, and then apparently aspiring to kill the entire thieves guild.

Yeah. It's much more likely he was just wanting to get in there to ward off whoever won should they be against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

New Strip!

Click here for the full 708x938 image.

Plot!

So, V just said Disintegrate 4 times, right? (I doubt those are the 4 words, but I suspect that that moment is coming up quick)