Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LuchadoresDelNixon posted:

E:^^^^^^drat YOU

Um...poo poo.

Is this the dragon I think it is???

Well, drat you too! I just spent ten minutes hunting that bit out!

It could be. Eyes are a different colour and that dragon got left as a pile of dust, but it makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What does it take to actually destroy a Phylactery?

And if it doesn't kill Xykon immediately, as LightWarden said, but just renders him unable to regenerate, can Xykon make a new one?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's possible that the exchange in the first panel of this strip just took on some new significance...

LightWarden posted:

More importantly, he seems to have teleported them even with the cloister effect. Psionics, maybe? Or maybe they haven't actually crossed out of the cloistered zone.

Isn't cloister irrelevant when you're doing things from the inside? Here, panel 5. You can cast magical transportation from inside to outside.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 10, 2009

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bell_ posted:

It will be interesting to see in which roundabout way Belkar will be tied to V's death, but considering that-barring shennanigans-the halfling's time is also limited perhaps they'll pop V earlier than I expected.

Wait, what? Didn't Belkar fulfill that when he killed the oracle? It was an 'or' question, not an 'and'.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mystic Mongol posted:

Seven weeks? Has it been 45 weeks since the original death sentence?

It was before the end of this year, not within the next year.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Interesting.

Girard wasn't hot on the idea of Soon coming by to check, was he?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

crime fighting hog posted:

Undead Subtype-Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and moral effects).

Are there illusions not as a mind-alterer?

And would epic versions be able to bypass that immunity?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

crime fighting hog posted:

What a cashcow hydra burgers would be, you'd only have to breed one and use the neck meat!

Conveniently circular too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Manyorcas posted:

very, very confusing left to right order

Yeah, I didn't notice the sun at the top first dictating time. Probably should have had thicker vertical and thinner horizontal dividers or something.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, my issue was that I was reading along the top row, as you normally would in a comic.

But that one with the stories rearranged to line up is just a bad solution; breaks the flow and means that you just end up reading each separately.

Compromise edit?

Click here for the full 1320x970 image.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 14, 2010

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

Belkar: more likely to accept a resurrection or more likely to gleefully jump headfirst into the Blood War?

We know he's not getting straight-up resurrected since the prophecy was 'he will draw his last breath ever'.

I'm still banking on an undead Belkar.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 17, 2011

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

Belkar is going to skin that thing alive.

And possibly steal its dog.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DrakePegasus posted:

Back to the source of this discussion: I really doubt Roy'll croak it, after having a whole book devoted to bringing him back. My money's on another glory-stealing Deus ex Machina.

Or if he does croak it, it'll be an ironic one strip between death and resurrection, if not on the same page.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

In any case Durkon probably has SOMETHING that can help Elan. He could heal and buff him to probably survive a fall like that, perhaps?

Hey, will Haley have been awake and aware of her surroundings whilst stoned?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Can someone link back the comic that this comic is referencing?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah.

He's also one of Tarquin's cohorts with the whole rotating empires power-behind-the-thrones scam, so I suspect he's a pretty drat high level.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EDIT: Bugger, misread something. NEVER MIND.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So if you had a bunch of Silenced Still Invisible spells, could you play a wizard who was pretending to be a helpless nobody in the crowd whilst blowing people up?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

Durkon will be returning home on his shield (that was the phrase the oracle used, right?) So while he's most likely going to be dead I don't think zombification is in the cards.

The oracle just said 'posthumously'.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I can totally see this strip ending with the end of the Gates campaign and the start of the Tarquin campaign.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jng2058 posted:

Bring on Tarquin and Friends!

I now have in my head an 80's TV show opening where the characters all do happy things and smile at the camera whilst cheery music plays.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Danzou posted:

Wait what were the Hobgoblins looking for? Has it been mentioned??

Xykon's lost phylactery. It's why they're still in the city.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Regarding the Cloister: it was very specifically said that you could scry inside the Cloister's boundaries, so perhaps they have someone inside the city who can do that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, I have a feeling the point of this is to get some exposition out to the people who haven't read Start of Darkness, and then Redcloak is going to kill the hell out of Tsukiko.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Aaand another one's up. That was fast. Especially 'cos it's a doozy

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Tsukiko will still be under the effects of the Cloister spell, so she can't be scryed or contacted until it wears off, and that'll take months.

You can do stuff in-cloister. It's a barrier, not a block.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm going with "I killed her because she got mouthy and I was having a bad day". Xykon would probably accept that better than any other lie.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The Cloister spell makes it basically impossible to scry or magically contact those under its effects, like O-Chul.
Tsukiko was almost certainly under the effects of Cloister.

Again, you can do what you want between two Cloistered individuals.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, this strip says you can scry and do whatever within the cloister. Given what Tsukiko said about O'Chul, I guess that doesn't include people who leave and take the effect with them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Colon V posted:

And then Redcloak realizes that the craftsman had no way to know how the band was supposed to close he didn't know about the Explosive Runes damage, and then poo poo goes tits-up.

I doubt there was any damage, with the number of protective spells on the amulet. The scratches were probably from before the amulet was made into a phylactery.

Besides, it's not like Xykon got a good look at it after the Explosive Runes had a go at it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Casao posted:

There's also another item he has planned for Mystery Prize 4, probably at 400,000 I guess?

Although I think he said he's planning to keep the prizes smaller and non-story from now on simply because if he doesn't the work will overwhelm the comic itself and slow it down.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Casao posted:

I cannot imagine a web comic getting nearly half a million dollars like this, and estimating anywhere near that is insane.

I'm really curious as to how much is going to go to printing/mailing/operational costs, and how much is going back to Burlew.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Speedball posted:

So why do some guys in other threads in this forum snark about OotS not being a good webcomic, again? Hell, there's somebody doing it right now in "Webcomic Readers." Is it really the stick-figure thing, or what?

Stick figure thing, pretty much. And D&D content doesn't exactly get it much respect either.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Interesting that Xykon was unwilling to admit that he gave half the ritual to her.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Affi posted:

That depends. The end result of all this could very well see Burlew making a lot of loving money. All his comics will be super-size reprinted and there is obviously a market for this. The publicity will probably also increase his base by a large percentage.

Not to mention that to satisfy the number of commitments he's going to be doing print runs on a much larger scale than he previously estimated, which means much better economy of scale for him, and a greater profit margin per book. Not much, but it all adds up.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

If he can make half a million towards reprinting the books, it's at least a pretty good bet that the sales on the actual books will be well over a million, isn't it?

Not really... everyone who is intending to buy them is using the kickstarter to preorder them, basically, so most sales are accounted for in it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

New update on the kickstarter, and apparently two-fifths of the money is going to postage. I just got the $10, but if there'd been a 'don't worry about the magnet' box I'd have ticked it. I just wanted the stories, and he's not gonna get any money after shipping to Oz.

Also, new bonus PDF! Romeo and Juliet parody.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wili posted:

Oh, come on. Now even the update graphs are getting suspenseful.

I guess Elan's about to find out what's happened to Roy. And it looks like V's noticed what's about to happen upstairs, at least. I hope she has a feather fall.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ColdPie posted:

There is! Go to Manage My Pledge and tick the first box, "No Reward - No thanks, I just want to help the project."

I was just worried that'd take me off the list for the digital rewards, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Werle posted:

And honestly, if you want a purely digital copy just go ahead and "right click->save as" your way to glory. He's already giving it away digitally, you can donate more money to him if you want.

I assumed they were referring to the print-only books.