Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

Geshtal posted:

Hmmm, she did describe herself as "Chaotic Good-ish", but why would that be the 'secret' even V doesn't know?

No, she didn't detect as evil to Miko. Her driving goal is getting money to free her father. So she's good. And she's definitely not lawful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

Kahrytes posted:

If we're just going by the whole string of speech Haley was saying in that strip, I'm going to guess you guys are reading WAY TOO DEEP into it.

She just said she kissed a girl once.

Okay, more than once.

I'm not exactly what you would call straight.

Then again, I always hated analyzation in english classes...

I went over that too... if it had followed directly from the first two it would have been the comedic answer, but she stops to have an internal argument with herself. HEr likeness to the Angels including the stray hair, kind of bothered me, and her being the spiritual counterpart of Sabine makes too much sense now.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Taear posted:

I was under the impression that an Aasimar was already pretty watered down. It's not a half-celestial, it's just having a celestial in your bloodline SOMEWHERE.
Just like with Tiefling. There's another word for a half-demon, I think that begins with C.

And I don't see why people are debating what Hayley said in symbol language since someone already posted the definitive link of what she said!

Cambion

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Panty_HaX0r posted:

Is this an actual race or just a name they throw out, since it seems kind of redundant when we have the half-fiend template?

It's a Half-demon. It's a 'race' as much as a demon is. Medievally they are the offspring of a human and incubus/succubus, a la Merlin. Cambions are first ed. Before they made up all this Tiefling and Aasamir crap. It predates templates though it may be a template now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambion

Dungeons & Dragons

In the fantasy roleplaying game Dungeons & Dragons the word cambion refers to a male "half-fiend", a cross between a fiend and another creature, often a human. The term alu-fiend refers to its female counterpart. In the 3rd Edition, cambions are the offspring of a tanar'ri father & a planetouched mother, often a tiefling. Iuz the Old of the World of Greyhawk game setting is referred to as a cambion. He is the son of the witch Iggwilv and the demon Graz'zt. In addition to his human form of an old man, he can appear as a seven foot tall, maroon demon with green eyes.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

the_steve posted:

Either way, keep in mind that Miko was one good attack away from killing Roy just a few minutes ago, and isn't entirely sure what's going on at the moment. Durkon is the only one who thinks he has a grasp on the situation.

Durkon is that player that can rationalize anything, no matter how outrageous, as long as he thinks he is adhering to the GM's plotline.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Volga Boatman posted:

Also at least in 2nd edition there was a difference between Major cambions (children of a mortal and a lesser or greater Tanar'ri) and baron / marquis cambions (the children of ttrue Tanar'ri). Baron cambions were more powerful than major cambions at least in general.

Although since in 2nd edition the term Alu-fiend only referred to female children of succubi and mortals I guess the rules have changed a bit since then.

[edit] I also need to complain about this article since it doesn't mention Rule-of-Three.

So...

Tiefling - Somewhere in the distant past, someone bumped uglies with an infernal and it's in your blood.

Cambion - Your momma bumped uglies with Demogorgon.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Factor_VIII posted:

Using alignment detection spells is considered to be very impolite in D&D. By using them, you are stating that you don't trust the other person in the slightest and consider them to be duplicitous or worse. Perhaps that's why she objected to it.

Heh... My 16th level Fundamentalist will Detect Homosexuality on all of you, please hold still.

edit: wow... Happy elf.. how long have I had you on my ignore list. A year? And I thought the patchy conversation was fried synapses in my short term memory. There, that's all fixed, once again privy to the mind of the Righteous Djinn. Smokeless Fire. Jihads.. that kind of thing.

gothfae fucked around with this message at 10:19 on May 13, 2007

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Boggus posted:

Ugh? Blergh!

I tried countless of times to understand that comic but it is neither funny nor interesting in the least.

But... according to Wikipedia it's "critically acclaimed"...

yeah.. I got nothing there either.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Gimmie a moment.

Okay. Now according to Wikipedia I have the largest penis in recorded human history.

Oh wow... Can I have you autograph? Signed with your penis?

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Gyges posted:

That's got to be hell on your back.
:nws: not really anyway, educational, scary.. eeee.
http://emuse.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/586

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

RentACop posted:

Is Sabine a succubus, and is a succubus a demon or a devil? Cause then if Haley was a tiefling or the devilish equivalent of that there'd be some added drama due to the whole Blood War thing, which I like better than the Aasimar idea.

I like Erfworld, but I'm something of a whore for the "board/card game = important" genre, so a whole fantasty world constrained by those rules is right up my alley....even though it looks like it was made up just so a fat nerd hero wouldn't be utterly laughable.

I'm assuming a succubus, a Demon, Erinyes seem to have more of the 'leather straps across the eyes' look. I'd prefer she was just angel-blooded, I find the Blood-war to be kind of stupid, a clinging piece of archaic lameness from when they were too afraid to actually call Demons Demons, and Devils Devils and had to create this whole Tanar'ri, Baatezu mythology out of whole cloth.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Wait, the Blood War was created because they didn't want to call Devils or Demons just that? My experience with the Blood War in D&D is just some 3rd edition stuff, so I have no idea of the origins. Still, it seemed to make sense and be pretty cool, with chaotic types and lawful types fighting against each other over who's better.

Why exactly was it started, and what makes it archaic?

During 1st ed the Religious Right bitched so much that TSR thought it would be best if they removed religious references from their monsters. Thus in 2nd ed Archons replaced Angels, Tanar'ri, Baatezu (sp) were created, planes were renamed, etc. As the 'satanic' brand slipped away from D&D, those concepts were trickled back in and firmly re-established for 3rd ed. The Blood War,a child of Planescape, while probably not directly related to the re-imagining of the D&D underworld still feels wrong. The Abyss is chaotic Evil, the Hells are Lawful Evil. Other than fighting each other it's not as though there is anything to be gained and prior to the Blood War there was quite enough infighting between Demon Prices and Arch Devils on their own planes without throwing them into one giant battlefield together.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Brannock posted:

:siren:New strip up.:siren:

And for when it goes down...

And lo, were many morale checks failed that fateful day...

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

Now I don't know who I want to win. Roy really should've taken Xykon's advice:(. Its possible, however, that the ghost-martyrs will be immensely powerful, carving through everything in their path a la the ghost army in Return of the King, though then I'm sure we would be arguing that fifty ghosts taking on an entire Hobgoblin army is godmoding and bending the rules, and then it's rubber ball all over again!

Wait, speaking of Roy, does this mean his corpse just got stampeded by the entire Hobgoblin army?

I don't think he fell near the breach. But you never know.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

Reading Erfworld is like an exercise in futility. I want to like it, I genuinely do, and then he makes it about a tiny super-deformed bisexual seductress :(

Erfworld feels like an Advertisement/Pre-release flavor rules for a dumb game right around the corner...

"You've seen the comic! You've read the Klogs! NOW PLAY THE GAME! ERFWORLD RPG/WARGAME! Get your Dwagon on!"

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Zoolooman posted:

That was AWESOME. Miko's death was a great OOTS moment.

Uhm... wow... I just..

I haven't posted in so long, but I read today's.. and I had to post.

My jaw dropped.

I'm all Keanu "woah" at the moment.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Sock posted:

Erfworld updated, and Ansom is in for a whole new world of hurt.

Someday we'll run out of "Huh? There's a rule I didn't know?!" "jokes".

maybe...

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Affi posted:

Fire ant

Fiendish Cockroaches :eng101:

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

I really hate to admit that I've grown to look forward to Erfworld, after the saccharine "welcome to our goofy world' ended, it's gotten steadily better. Not one cutsie moment at all in 72, no joke, just story, and Wanda looking like a broken toy was pretty sad.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Quarex posted:

For anyone actually keeping up with Erfworld, I officially believe that the new strip has turned Bogroll from the most hilarious and adorable character to the most terrifying one in a single panel.

Admittedly, it could still turn out hilarious. But right now it has a definite "it puts the lotion in the basket" vibe. Which I hope is what he was going for with that.

Well, we _was_ told to go to bed and pretend he was hamster and get some sleep.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

There's plenty of LG warriors out there. Being a paladin is the apex of being LG. All those bits about how he associates with Belkar and isn't perfectly Lawful that came up in the entrance review? None of that poo poo flies for a Paladin. A Paladin is someone for whom it isn't enough to try.

And do you know how many punchlines he'd lose out on?

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

I think the telling point is that it never once occurred to him that the others might have failed and be dead too, much less that he wasn't getting raised.

Man, he must have been playing blocks for a week.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

the_steve posted:

Isn't Durkon LG too though?
I know the others are Chaotic and/or Not Good, but Durkon seemed to be of the Lawful Good persuasion to me.

Durkon would end up in Valhalla or whatever though, even if it were the same 'heaven', he, like the the Azure City folks, would probably be on another side of the mountain.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

:siren: The new strip is up :siren:

The Sexy Kind of Resistance.

gothfae fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 14, 2007

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Zereth posted:

Except the main character doesn't have any idea what's going on, and we saw his gaming group sitting around going "what the hell" for a ocuple of panels after he disappeared in the beginning.

As long as they end it or do something with it. They make Rich look positively regular. Right about the time I started to care about the comic, it turned into 'we'll update.. someday'. If it was not on Giants in the playground it would be a dead webcomic.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

Has anyone else been keeping up with Goblins? There's been a surprising amount of action in the past couple of comics. Not to mention a healthy amount of gore.

Has this turned into General Webcomics, cause I was sure this was Order of the Stick and occasionally that other comic hosted at Giant's in the Playground.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Quarex posted:

Yeah, he really has a great thing going in that regard--characters die on a semi-regular basis, and sometimes even important ones. That was why, in that oh-poo poo-are-you-kidding last panel of the first part of the Big Ears-Saral Caine fight, when the final strip was Saral Caine chopping Big Ears in the head for the first time, I genuinely believed that was the end of him. And it really hit me. I was so excited that I cared enough about Big Ears to feel it in my GUT when he was killed.

Then, of course, we all know how that went, but it was made far more effective since he COULD have just killed him off, as that is his style.

(Subsequent big block of random text notwithstanding)

Unfortunately those 2 were the first.. and last, Goblins strips I will ever read. Ave to head, text for ages, transformation to Tron Paladin Goblin. Not a great place to start and it turned me off wanting to follow it, or read back at all.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

I don't think it makes a difference as it will likely be February before there is another update, and by then they might have forgetten what went on in this update. I expect to read the last issue of Y the last man, see an episode of Lost and for the Writers Guild strike to be over before they make an effort towards another installment. Thought since this wasn't Klog filler, I might be wrong, but I doubt it.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Okay, Erfworld, at the top of the Klog we have Heavy Metal Golems, but what are the other three?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

KOraithER posted:

drat you, I got so excited at the ":siren: New" part, but then I saw it was just Erfworld.

If sirens make you excited, I recommend you speed more. :)

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

ZorbaTHut posted:

Is that table at the bottom an actual copy of a D&D 1 or D&D 2 table? If so, man, the twink possibilities!

"Okay, the first thing I'm going to do is get a potion of fly and a potion of bull's strength, mix them up, and drink them." *rolls dice* "75. I'm gonna make a new character and try again."

Several hours later he finally rolls a 00 and has permanent fly, and all it took was creating about a hundred different characters!

Although, honestly, few of those results are really all that bad - if you were high-level enough that you could withstand the "explosion" and "lethal poison" results, you could just keep trying until you got permanent results.

What does a permanent Cure Serious Wounds do, anyway?

Miscibility rules recommended that once a '75' or whatever, always a '75', unless a different formulation of the potions was somehow discovered and used. So sure Fly and Invulnerability may always create permanent invulnerability, but then it becomes a permanent part of that world, and something alchemists and wizards work to counter.
I had a basic program once that generated an entire miscibility chart. I was bored.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

bgaesop posted:

I wrote a program for my TI-83+ that would roll up a complete character sheet for any class and level, skill points, ability scores, number of feats, and spells per day.

Feats? You're way too 'nu-tech' :)

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Robot Bastard posted:

I don't mean intentional disarming, I mean "involuntarily drops weapon due to massive damage" like we see in the latest strip.

Maybe she's sweet-talked the GM into allowing Rolemaster damage tables into the game...

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

As people have said, the real problem with the mystic theurge is that while it is more versatile than either a wizard or a cleric, it is considerably weaker than a wizard or a cleric (definitely a cleric).

As a PC. As an NPC that flexibility is king, because she can sit on her rear end and make undead and magic items, and learn spells specifically to target the PC's weaknesses. Which is just what she did.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

seaborgium posted:

Does a paladin's mount keep it's stat bonuses and all that after the paladin dies? Could have been the head paladin's mount, just cast enlarge on it or something and bam, paladin on a giant cat. We've already had a shark as a mount, why not a cat you have to enlarge?

He wasn't a Paladin. As he pointed out to Roy, he'd just been had by an NPC class. Chaotic Good Nobles rarely have divine mounts.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

IMJack posted:

He's really cranking them out, maybe he's trying to make Erfworld feel so ashamed they commit seppuku.
And Belkar and Mr. Scruffy certainly seem to have a ranger/Animal companion relationship going.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

ZorbaTHut posted:

I've been one of the people saying "c'mon guys, give him a chance, he's barely done any pages so far."

This is one of the reasons I'm tired of giving him a chance. I can understand family illness, I'm sympathetic. It's (sometimes) an enjoyable read. But if it weren't riding on the freight train that is Order of the Stick, it would be practically dead.

Moving away from Parson, into this Whole FAQ, King Banhammer, blah blah backstory blah, elicited from me a sigh of meh. Until they can prove they can stick to a regular updating schedule, Klog the backstory. It' worked so far. Jillian and Ansom are whatever the opposite of interesting are. At least Stanley has a personality, he's a little poo poo, but he's more interesting to watch than Ansom.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Bobulus posted:

We do?

I don't. From what I've seen, Ansom hates Stanley because he's not a Noble, Jillian hates Stanley because she thinks he destroyed her Kingdom, Croakamancy is hardly a gauge of evil since it's a game mechanic, and every good army is going to have them. Parson thinks Stanley is evil because Stanley's a poo poo, and I think it's easier on Parson if he keeps the "black and white, good/evil, this is all a game" attitude to keep him from going insane, and not admit how morally grey everything is. The threat of disbandment, well that's conservation of resources in a world when you can pop a new unit if needed. After all, Stanley is keeping Parson around, even though his upkeep is outrageous and he is, by all definitions, a complete failure at what Stanley wanted. He didn't disband Wanda, despite her failure, which led to a loss of more units than he can recover from. As for the lesbian bondage stuff, that obviously started long before Wanda was part of Stanley's retinue, so it's hardly a sign of evil either. Wanda uses sex to control people, whether it's Jillian or Stanley. The only difference is I think she actually gave a poo poo about Jillian.
Stanley has a huge ego, and a chip on his shoulder the size of Hamster, but when he tells Parson there is no good or evil in this battle, I think he means it.

I don't have high expectations of this comic, which is about the only thing that keeps it enjoyable, but I do expect them to be above painting Erfworld in swathing shades of black and white. Jillian's "You don't understand, I like it" speech, should go a long way to showing the moral greyness of this particular universe. I mean, it's not like "Alignment" is a stat that Parson can see with his fancy 3-D shades. So maybe.. alignment isn't a stat.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

terminal mehmet posted:

You guys talking about erfworld are really confusing me. Go make another thread or something.

I vote for "or something". Thanks for giving us a choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

There's a new Goblins comic up, and it continues the tradition of brutality!

http://goblinscomic.com/d/20080123.html

Also, amazingly enough, a new Erfworld, and it appears the Thinkamancer is Margaret "Maggie" Thatcher.

And it goes a long way towards explaining what has happened to three of our other casters.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0093.html