Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

LuchadoresDelNixon posted:

Goddamit I hate the word Klog. Every time I check for an OotS update, that loving word. Goddamn you Erfworld.

Argh what the gently caress, I've been nice, giving that awful loving comic plenty of chances to fuckin' get to a point, but it seems like the guy has been taking FOREVER TO GET TO ANY loving POINT ARGH

In other words, isn't speak with dead a fairly low level spell? Why can't anybody cast that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

SlimGoodbody posted:

There's an L5R LARP? What the gently caress? How would that even work?

I think that's the problem. LARPers LOVE Japanese culture. I know a few DMs who try to integrate LARP into their games, never goes well.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

I wouldn't be surprised if the next strip has an homage or something to Gygax.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

team overhead smash posted:

I think most DMs would let a Paladin lie to an evil warlord type if that was his only chance at saving a load of innocents. Kind of like Roy telling off Miko for following her alignment to the letter but completely ignoring it's intent. As he's still a Paladin, I'd say Rich Baker agrees.

Yeah, jesus christ, you guys. So fuckin' analytical. He's not lying to a legitimate authority, he's lying to the megalomaniacal, genocidal leader of the worst evil he's ever seen.

I think he gets a bye.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Jonked posted:

Personally I think it's retarded, and I ignore the rule, but the Rules As Written says that lying, even to a megalomaniac and genocidal leader, is dishonorable and would have him stripped of his powers.

Yeah. And that's why I think you guys are rules-lawyerin' it up too much. At the best of times, there are a few things in D&D that make no sense.

At the worst? It's loving confusing as hell and overcomplicated and retarded.

I'm just sayin' that the author probably hand-waved that rule away. A lie to an evil villain isn't even a real lie, in my mind.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Cabbit posted:

You can't see very far; it states explicitly under "Ex-Paladins" that grossly breaking the code of conduct results in a loss of all Paladin Spells and Abilities (but not armor/weapon/shield proficiencies).

That said, it looks like O-Chul just isn't lying so much as Redcloak thinks he's just omitting stuff.

THAT MOTHERFUCKER

Telling a lie to save people and misleading the evil leaders! He's made a gross violation of the paladin code, Saving Lives and Foiling Evil. I am off to my D&D group to tell them a SCATHING diatribe about why precisely O-Chul is the worst paladin ever!

This is exactly the kind of thing that is basically left up to the DM in any game. It seems all of you who are saying this lie should make O-Chul lose his powers have lovely DMs. :mmmhmm:

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Cabbit posted:

Or, maybe we think that the code doesn't exist to give the Paladin just a roleplaying crutch, but also as a drawback and counter to his power. The Code of Conduct is a mandate of the Gods, and it's supposed to limit the things you can do.

It's supposed to be a disadvantage, which offsets the copious advantages a Paladin gets, in addition to being a cool aspect of the character. If every Tom, Dick, and O-Chul could lie, cheat, steal, poison, and otherwise break the rules in the name of the Greater Good..

Well, they'd be Chaotic Good. That, or Gray Guard. Which is, incidentally, why I like them!

Or, y'know, you could have a Paladin work to the meaning of the law, and not to the letter of it. He's not loving Eddie Guerrero, he's not gonna sneak through the evil dude's palace and poison the lich to death, after stealing from every peasant and every king in the area... He's gonna walk right in the front door, kick the rear end of any of the bad guys who attack, then fight the lich in a battle to the death.

If you get stopped on the way in by a platoon of the lich's powerful henchmen, you don't just say "I'ma kill your boss. Peace.", you say "Oh, just going to give fealty to your lord."

It's situational, but then again, I feel that everything being black and white, good or evil is just plain retarded, and lovely roleplaying and lovely DMing. Is looting the burial chamber of the evil lord stealing or not? He's dead, and doesn't need it anymore, but you're taking his sword of plus whatever for your own for your own benefit, and not leaving payment. Is using smite evil an act of cruelty? It causes unimaginable pain to the monster you're using it on. Is chopping up a bad guy with your sword an evil act? You're causing undue pain to a creature. You should obviously use a padded quarterstaff as all paladin weapons.

It seems that Burlew agrees with me, because as far as O-Chul knows, he just lied. Hey, he's still a Paladin. Lying to an evil creature while you're under torture is no more evil than any of the acts I just wrote above.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Cabbit posted:

A couple of things:

A.) I don't know why the Hell you're insisting on being insulting about this, and deciding to interpret every argument I make to some sort of self-mocking caricature.

Actually, most of the stuff in the last post I made wasn't intended to be mocking, just me using a bunch of examples I pulled out of my rear end. I've been an rear end in a top hat recently, and while I don't apologise for it, I'm gonna try to be less of one.

quote:

B.) It would seem that Rich is writing a comic, and that he is not expressly detailing his every nuanced plot point; saying that he's 'agreeing' with you is a bit egotistical.
Except...

Aw, hell. Forget it. I think he feels the same way as me, you think... something.

quote:

C.) You have a serious case of the "Ends Justify The Means" going on there.
Not really. If Captain America, the ideal Paladin, were captured by the Red Skull, and told to tell him where the Allies had their army, he'd spit in his face. If faced with the threat of a bunch of troops getting murdered if he didn't tell him...

I still think Cap would make something up.

quote:

D.) Just because you don't agree with it or like it doesn't make it "lovely roleplaying". I'd like to think you've noticed that I haven't said anything you're doing happens to be retarded, but judging from the way you've been going through this whole thing you're probably going to just barely pick up on that fact and declare it a glowing endorsement of your viewpoint.

I haven't said anything than can be construed as retarded. Me saying that the world being black and white, good and evil ONLY is retarded is the long-term result of me DMing a shitload, running a bunch of games, playing in others. If there's no gray areas, that lops off a big chunk of roleplaying ideas. Some are cliche, but a lot are just fun. Ignoring morality being anything except good guys are the end-all, be-all of goodness and virtue, bad guys are moustache-twirling villains who tie kittens to railroad tracks is BORING. Would it help if I didn't say "Retarded", but said "lazy"?

quote:

E.) You can follow the letter of the code while still maintaining the intent of it, and your station as a Paladin. The whole gimmick with the Paladin is that they're held to a higher standard-- the fact that they don't lie to the enemy, that they're honorable, that they follow the Code of Conduct when it isn't convenient makes them is what makes them the heroic exemplar that they're supposed to be.
I'll agree with everything except the lying to the enemy part. I still don't see a problem with it.

quote:

Any git with a sword and divine power can club a heretic and call it a crusade. A Paladin does it with grace and humility. That's the point.
Kay.

quote:

Think of it this way: when a police officer shoots somebody in the line of duty, in order to save a life, is he committing a crime? If a murderer gets put to death by the state, are they committing a crime? Say a criminal's assets are stolen, and put up for sale at a police auction-- is that a crime?

The same reason these acts aren't crimes, is the same reason a holy champion blessed and ordained by the powers of Law and Good to fight Chaos and Evil doing what he does isn't evil:

He's answering to a higher authority.

That was way longer than I had originally intended.
And I feel that willfully obfuscating, confusing, and misleading Satan McHitlerstalin is perfectly within the boundaries of what said champion of justice can and should do. He's not doing anything directly evil, he's confusing the bad guy's forces so he can greater smite them and bring about goodness.

I think this comes down to a personal disagreement with whether a lie is an evil act or not, honestly...

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Jonked posted:

What? You're bring up Captain America, as an ideal paladin, when he's from a setting that doesn't have paladins nor concrete entities of Good and Evil, while talking about a setting that does?

Really?

Are you serious?

Seriously?

SERIOUSLY?

So... Superman and Captain America don't follow the paladin ideals at all? ESPECIALLY Cap? Truth, justice and righteousness?

Thinking laterally is BAD.

Yes, the PHB says that lying, as part of acting without honor is a Code of Conduct-worthy offense. But, is lying to an evil despot acting without honor? Is it a GROSS offense against righteousness?

I argue no.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Mr. Moon posted:

It's less easy when you've been handed a poisoned sword to use in a tournament that would ensure your victory. I'd expect a paladin to refuse the poisoned sword in that case, even if it meant a harder fight for him.

Bah! That's where the fun begins!

In the tournament, then the Paladin draws the sword, but explicitly doesn't use it like a sword. I'd have a good ol' time with that. First fight- Shield bashing only! Take that -4 and kick rear end anyway! Second fight, use only the butt of the sword's handle! Third fight, flat of the sword! Fourth fight, fight with the sword still in the sheath!

You can have a load of fun by loving with things, even as a Paladin.

Edit: This is assuming you are told to use the sword or else.

Kahrytes fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 9, 2008

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

NutShellBill posted:

Oh Belkar, you so stabbity.

Rich really takes a lot of liberties with Belkar's 1d3+ Str, doesn't he? Even with an enchanted dagger, Belkar does a LOT of damage.

Let's see... Crit x 2... + 3 Str... + 3 enchantment... Even then, that's like 12 damage, tops, right? Maybe 14-16 if kobold is a favoured enemy.

Flat footed.

Sneak attack.

All you need to know.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

LightWarden posted:

Belkar is a Ranger/Barbarian... where is he getting sneak attack from?

Anyways, this is one of those "don't think too hard about it things".

...Shut up. I forgot that he was originally a ranger, and Haley was the rogue.

Uh.. Maybe Belkar picked up a rogue level while they were helping the resistance. Or perhaps he was technically raging when he stabbed the oracle. Or maybe he took a feat that gives him a wannabe sneak attack.

Or maybe I suck at remembering things and he just killed a level 1 commoner and something.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Bobulus posted:

Having seen first-hand how terrible webcomics can get when they listen to reader requests, I'm inclined to let him do what he wants. I'm still enjoying it, anyway.

Not all reader requests are the same.

Inserting people's selfinsert mary sues into a comic? Bad.

Getting back to the main storyline, that he's been leaning more and more away from, to do side-story stuff that the majority of people don't like? Not so bad.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

SlimGoodbody posted:

Yeah, but if you've ever seen Firefly, you'd know that you can at least stab the guy a couple of times in non-vital areas and feel much better about the situation.

Mal and Elan are pretty different. Elan's more like...

Kaylee, quite honestly.

Roy is probably closest to Mal, in OotS.

...And Belkar to Jayne, and Durkon to Book...

Wow. They're pretty similar, tbqh. Well, maybe Elan is close to Wash, too.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

You know that 'main plot' came hundreds of strips in, right? Also, who cares? Was everyone pissed off during the awesome Nale kidnapping Roy's sister plot too, back in the day?

Are you so tired of reading OOTS that you want Burlew to sprint to the end of it, just to get it over with, or something?

I think people are so tired of reading the side plot that really doesn't matter, that they want ANYTHING related to the main plot to happen.

I'd like to see something involved with the gates, but I'm happy with the journey, as long as Burlew doesn't keel over before it finishes.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Sefer posted:

Because "he" is the appropiate English pronoun to use when talking about a person whose gender you don't know.

Let's use "It". It sounds so degradate-y.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't mind the speed of things and is just enjoying seeing where things go?

I'm just worried that the creator of OotS, who I'm pretty sure is ill, will die before he finishes the comic. I really like the comic and I want to see it finished satisfactorily.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Sefer posted:

Hey guys, isn't it about time for a new strip?

Click here for the full 725x933 image.

That was a really good update. The first to actually make me laugh in a while!

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Kojiro posted:

Are we meant to understand what's going on there, because I really don't.

I realized long ago that the author of Goblins was trying to tell a high-energy, fast-paced story...

With the slowest update schedule on a regular comic that isn't actually dying that I've ever seen.

Maybe I'll wait to see if he ever actually finishes the story and then read it, but until then, I'm not gonna bother.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

LuchadoresDelNixon posted:

I once had a character who got left behind as a portal closed, separating him from the rest of the party. Supposedly the portal would not open again for two weeks, and we were 30 minutes into our 6-hour session.

I understand Roy's peanut gallery banter pretty well. It sucks to be left behind.

I once had a character who was kidnapped by bad guys in an area we had already cleared out, when he went in alone, by order of the party leader.

I stayed kidnapped for two weeks, before the DM finally did a one-off session with just me to get free.

It was really loving annoying, but I sat and read splatbooks until the DM called each session and apologized to me.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Belkar has obviously become Lawful Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

God drat. I've been wanting to go back and reread the first part of the story over again, but OOTS has really, really lovely loading problems. Every time I try to go to his site, it never loads.