Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
Shojo looks pretty dead in that last panel, but like that discussion about how killing Nale would probably not really accomplish much, I don't think it's much of a big deal.

Edit: Was that book that explains their origins good? I wanted to pick it up but just sort of forgot about it. I don't generally like webcomics enough to buy their stuff :shobon:

evilsake fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 29, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
Maybe Miko will kill herself forever and we never have to deal with her stupid rear end again

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

Fuego Fish posted:

The least he could do is stick with his current schedule but say "updates Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday". That way it'd be wholly accurate.

I mean, he updates 3 times a week, just about a day later than when he says he will.

I have felt this way forever :colbert:

I honestly really do treat it like a T/T/S comic. Ever since Rich has really gone all out on cliff hangers and dramatic plots (to better effect than most webcomics), I've found it's better for my acute sense of nerd rage not to check in M/W/F.

Honestly, I'm surprised he's lasted this long with such a decent track record considering he's a member of increased updates crew.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

Cowcaster posted:

If he changed it to say "updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday" then he'd probably just end up doing them after midnight again anyway so it'd actually be Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday.

Well when that happens he can just change the update schedule to that then :xd:

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
I don't really think Redcloak is being fleshed out at all, he's still just straight goblin to wacky lich. I don't think he'll die.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
Burlew has mentioned that people guessing where his stories are going frustrates him to no end so he goes out of his way to change things up. In the only moment I ever disliked him he made a post in his forums complaining about people figuring things out and then said that's the reason updates (at the time) we going so slowly, he was changing things constantly. He was really pissy about it, like it was somehow their fault they wanted to discuss the plot and guess what was going to happen and were apparently often enough right.

Edit: Actually, I decided to find the post and it isn't as bad as I remember. Still, it kind of sucks that he could've just said "predictions stay in prediction threads only or need to be spoiler tagged" (a valid enough rule) rather than threaten possible deletion of the board. OoTS is still cool and he otherwise seems like a nice guy.

evilsake fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 7, 2007

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
My real question about Belkar is why you would want someone who'd casually murder you in your party. There really isn't any question he's chaotic evil in my eyes. Why have someone who's such a huge liability on your team?

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

Kahrytes posted:

It's a joke about how there's nearly ALWAYS a person in a D&D party who really wants to play the evil character, alongside the freakin' Paladin and Knight of the Forest and blah blah blah.

Leikr Elferston posted:

Also what everyone else said, the "guy who just wants to kill stuff" is a common component of many groups, I think Belkar is playing on that, to the point where some of his psycho logic makes more sense when viewed from the pov of a homomcidal player who's trying to max out his kill count.

Oh, it makes much more sense now :)

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
Everyone is missing the most important question: does anyone get xp for the death knight biting it? :xd:

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

Ferrinus posted:

The way that cap cuts off the zombie's speech bubble makes it look like he isn't saying anything but is in fact ridiculously awed by the Death Knight's sudden outburst of overly dramatic badassness.

When you can awe zombies, that's when you know you're awesome.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I'd just like to point out that regardless of whether Roy gets resurrected, there'd better be a few comics of him meeting his father in the afterlife, complete with lectures of if he'd been a wizard he'd know feather fall and none of this would happen.

Roy's dad is probably my favorite minor character, bringing the perfect mix of annoying his son for personal pleasure and trying to help his son by annoying him that every father figure should employ.

I like how he doesn't care at all that he's messing Roy up from beyond the grave. "Well, yeah kid, no poo poo I've moved on from your mother here in the afterlife. Do you know how much after life booty there is up here?!"

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, the only way I can see Hinjo joining the Order is if this arc ends with Azure City, its gate, and the Sapphire Guard all being destroyed, and if it did, it wouldn't make him a very good comedic foil.

I don't see why this can be ruled out as a possible ending. He may not be a good comic foil initially, but since he's basically Paladin Roy as it is I can see him eventually fitting in and becoming funny.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
I like how all the Paladins in the last panel are unique.

Even if all of these guys are at a lower level (though I think they're supposed to be higher than the soldiers outside) than Xyklon, can a lich hope to survive against so many classes solely dedicated to the destruction of his kind at once?

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

clockworkjoe posted:

There's no way the good guys can win without a deus ex machina.

If they can manage to destroy the gate (which they can conceivable do without relying on Deus Ex) and then get out safely (again, no Deus Ex required) Xyklon has no reason to stick around and they've effectively beaten him while allowing the story to progress. He doesn't need to be destroyed and even if the city's a ruin and everyone's dead it's still a victory in the larger scheme of things.

Then Roy can get revived (or not, whatever), the fabric of reality gets weakened more but still holds, and the order can keep adventuring for a few more levels until the next gate.

evilsake fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 5, 2007

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

clockworkjoe posted:

How can they destroy the gate when Xykon is right next to it now? Even if they did that, how would they survive Xykon's wrath?

Whatever he has to do in there it takes time for him to accomplish, weeks Xyklon said (that's why Redcloak's all "what the hell is wrong with him"). I think there's a bit of a window there for them to figure out they lost and then develop a plan that can accomplish these things.

evilsake fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 5, 2007

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

Wolfsheim posted:

Its kind of like a breath of fresh air when legitimate discussion pops up in a webcomic thread. Its all "Wait, huh?"

Discussion OoTS Style: Who can post the longest essay on why they're right, Happy Elf or Ferrinus??! :xd:

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
So why is that decoy such a big puss? I didn't think undead had the capacity to be like that.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
I guess I'm the only one who thinks this sudden change of heart for Redcloak is kind of dumb. He's never struck me as particularly heroic or caring whether dealing with goblins or hobgoblins. For him to get all gung ho now just because a member of a race he despises naively saves him (a naivete he's been exploiting) doesn't seem very consistent.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

gothfae posted:

No idea, but it should give people something to argue about until Monday. Thanks! :doom:

Oh no, the horror.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
Where are you guys reading all this Blood War stuff? Is it in actual books or is it rule book fluff? I ask because it sounds pretty cool :shobon:

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
Xykon didn't just totally conduct a job interview in the middle of a battle, he totally took the time to write out a note to make sure Redcloak was aware of this fact in the middle of a battle as well :xd:

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
Forget this gates crap and all these lame PCs, Thog is who the comic should be about :colbert:

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
Things would be a lot better for Team Ghost Paladin if Soon stuck to his own plan and occupied Redcloak while the rest of the paladins fought Xykon. Redcloak has really thinned the hell out of their ranks.

I hope this Miko thing is another fake out like the arrow, because we're all expecting her to screw things up even worse some how. Does she have any means available to unparalyze the paladin going for the throne or something?

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

Quarex posted:

Well, he is certainly a skilled writer; that is proven time and again. I did not want Xykon and Redcloak to die there, just because it really did not seem like Soon was that much of a badass until this very panel (maybe it was foreshadowed and I just did not pay attention; I am not sure). I thought it was established that Miko was the most powerful Paladin, with goatee-guy being the second most powerful; that does not leave room for Soon to be this awesome, particularly since Miko got bounced across a room with a single slash from Roy's sword, though Roy could not do much of anything against Xykon (even with a sword enchanted against him specifically, right?). But it was still a pretty rad scene.

Soon was a member of the original party that made the gates (or something, I forget their involvement) and is the legendary hero and founder of the Sapphire Guards. If anything I'd expect his ghost to be more powerful.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
I wanted the gate not to blow to see if Soon could finally convey to Miko that she isn't destined or anything but is just crazy, but the chance of her finally dieing forever is nice too. It's win win for everybody!

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

Archyduke posted:

I'm hoping that O-Chul is still alive based on his eyes. I don't think the thing under the umbrella would be callous enough to finish him off.

I thought about that and realized that he's still paralyzed, so maybe he's just unable to go all X_X until paralysis is removed.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
I got both of my wishes! :woop:

And you suckers were yammering about monk evasion and poo poo.

evilsake fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 12, 2007

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

The Werle posted:

Her death lets her serve a purpose, but won't result in sideplots and recurring harrassment of the Order that could have led Burlew away from the main focus.

That's what the Linear Guild is for!

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

Rennej posted:

Indeed. Nice fakeout. Is anyone else hoping that she'll find Roy's corpse and animate him instead? Wouldn't that be so great?

Next strip: she finds Roy's corpse, begins the zombie ritual, and then a corpse we couldn't see because Roy was in the way rises up instead!

Haha owned Burlew, now you're completely out of options, you can't zombify Roy and you can't do a fake out again because both have now been predicted. Lets see you change the story now!

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
How can Redcloak be so certain that Soon or anyone else with knowledge of the gates would be dumb enough to record the defenses of the other ones?

I mean, beyond the halfling bard (?) who was dumb enough to record their locations.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
Roy's dad's newest afterlife girlfriend is going to be Miko you heard it here first folks

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

Occam posted:

could we maybe talk about erfworld in its own thread, or in the main webcomics thread? it really doesn't have anything to do with oots aside from being hosted on the same site. I mean if no one else minds then whatever it's just my opinion you know v:shobon:v

Also, it sucks.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

Efreet saiid posted:

But hey, if you don't like your goblins all big-eyed and floppy, you can always go to the other extreme like pathfinder has.

Those goblins are badass :colbert:

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
Come to think of it, Gerald Ford would've made a pretty good bard.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
I like how the thing in the darkness is holding out a plate, but it's just hovering there. You don't even get to see its hand, that's how stingy Burlew is!

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
Haley got to make her dramatic long shot after all :)

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
I'm taking bets on when Rich Burlew kicks the bucket and his son* continues OoTS Dune style

*if he does not have one one can be procured

evilsake fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 9, 2007

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
I'm sick of Erfworld too, and I don't even read it!

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

happyelf posted:

Come the gently caress off it there's clearly no reason for erfworld to be in the top ten of any list anywhere.

"Top ten list of things that suck" :owned:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

Manyorcas posted:

Also this caused me to check if they have shadows and this is the first time I noticed that none of the characters have shadows v:shobon:v

Twist ending: all of the characters have been vampires from the begginning :aaa:

Actually, as long of a shot as that is, merely posting it now means Rich Burlew will never do it and if he was then he's already rewriting the entire story.