Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
In the style of the Achewood thread:

:siren: NEW STRIP IS UP :siren:

And there we have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

bgaesop posted:

The site is down! :derp:

Not for me, but here you go anyway.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

tsob posted:

Also, I'm a bit sad to see that Elan seems to have abondoned his banjo (instrument). He needs to get something like the Six-String Samurai, with the sword integrated into the body of the guitar.

Buddy's guitar and sword were separate, though :confused:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

The Werle posted:

Yeah, gently caress that guy who gives us free comics of high quality :jerkbag:

I'm dying for a new strip too, but unless you're mailing him checks shut up.

The least he could do is stick with his current schedule but say "updates Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday". That way it'd be wholly accurate.

I mean, he updates 3 times a week, just about a day later than when he says he will.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

The Werle posted:

He's been consistently on time for the last month or two, at least if you're not running off European moonclocks. And the only times I've noticed him being late are when he's doing double or triple length comics like we have today.

"Updates Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays before midnight (Eastern Standard Time). Usually."

Dude has a proviso, his rear end is covered. :colbert:

European moonclocks are Swiss made and by drat they keep the finest moontime in all Christendom! :argh:

High Altitude Hair Stylist posted:

Well, no, the least he could do is stop making the comic :v:

Technically, yes, the act of physically stopping would be the action with the least amount of effort involved. But dealing with the colossal nerd rage backlash that it would incite would make it even more effort than actually continuing the comic.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Backdoor Blanche posted:

I love how fleshed out all the characters are in this. They're great. I wish the NPCs I encounter and create were this well thought through.

Well, technically they're all NPCs.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Gyges posted:

What kind of a jackass commander makes sure you know how futile your situation is right before the fight? Jesus, does he crash 5 year olds' birthday parties just to make sure they understand that we all die someday?

The door thuds once, twice, then splinters from its hinges. The clown looks up, neglected balloon animal dying a raspberry death. The air is still, tense. The intruder crouches down, lowering himself, his nose almost pressed up against the nearest child's as he peers into frightened eyes with a grim glare.

"You are one step closer to death this day," he whispers harshly, the sound carrying across the room. "One less year of life before you end up in the cold, cold earth. Enjoy your cake... while it lasts."

Then, gone, as quick as he arrived. Silence fills the air. Shortly, the crying begins.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Wolfsheim posted:

Well, Erfworld just killed any chance its author had of not being seen as "creepy pervert++"

Yeah, it cured my incurable optimism about it. Oh, Erfworld, you could have been neat :smith:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Psion posted:

Maybe, but the OOTS joke was that there are, you know, actual elements on the periodic table, and making fun of fire not being in any way an element.

None of the classic elements are actually elements. You've got air (mixture), water (compound), earth (mixture again) and fire (reaction). Also, if you go by the Turner hypothesis, you have heart (internal organ) which isn't an element at all.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

NorgLyle posted:

Myself? I can't take expansive, well-established dwarven empires. If they're not living in dingy mineshafts and being run out of their ancestral homes by 1HD humanoids then they're not dwarves as far as I'm concerned.

Dwarven ghettos you mean? :v:

It's not just gamers and gaming, people everywhere have their own preconceived notions about what is "too far" or what "doesn't fit". I once had someone get rather frustrated because I was talking about a fantasy setting with no magic. Apparently it has to have magic, otherwise it's science fiction or something. Also no fantasy setting can have spaceships or space travel, regardless of how it's done. Because all science fiction has spaceships and by this point I just kind of tuned him out.

I don't really have a switch, but I do have a vast loathing for elves, which extends to dwarves and anything that basically just photocopies Tolkein and calls it "originality". Which is why I don't play D&D.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

CoolCab posted:

Hating elves is a great reason to play D&D! One of my favorite characters was a Human supremest who was trying to gain support for his crusade to ''take back the forests''. The plan was to drive them into the seas like nature intended.

It's more complicated than a simple dislike. Elves signify everything that's wrong with fantasy.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Talkie Toaster posted:

And elf-hate is equally as prevalent and annoying. Elves can be well-written and interesting (there's plenty of threads to take, like arrogant bastards/dying race/secretive mystics) and not "zOMG Legolas was like soooooo awesome I wanna surf onna shield" or "People who are like humans, but better".

Fantasy (more specifically, high fantasy) is a pretty great genre, but it's just got too much of the "absolutely mythical brand of medieval life with magic and generic stock races" sort. Most of the best fantasy nowadays is modern fantasy. High fantasy is just too tra-la-la woodland faggotry.

As I've said before: if George Lucas was the Tolkein of sci-fi, every Goddamn film and book would have wookies and Jedi in it. Doesn't particularly matter how you change things around, the vast majority still try and just copy what's gone before them.

Hell, even if you stick with preconceived mythological/legendary spirits, there's like a billion and one things out there which aren't elves. Although, yeah, I'm mostly referring the the "Mary Sue species" elves here. Pratchett's elves and the other very un-Tolkein types are all right.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Jonked posted:

Elves are innately inferior to humans. It's built into D&D. A first level, just starting out human character can be anywhere from 15 to 30 years old. The Elf, on the other hand, can be anywhere from 100 to 300 years old.

A human can master the arcane arts and become a living embodiment of Boccob in the time it takes a Elf mage to master Magic Missile.

The fact that default elf starting age exceeds the average human lifespan kinda negates the fact they're mentally slow.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

HitTheTargets posted:

Anyone know what those rainbow amulets are? They appear to have split Xykon into (at least) 3 bodies, each of which has a different emotional state.
Green for willpower, of course.

Either that or they're not, and they have different coloured amulets to differentiate themselves to the reader because otherwise they all look the same and it would get a little confusing perhaps.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

And oh snap

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Maybe it's so he can flip them off as he flies by.

Flip them off so hard.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

High Altitude Hair Stylist posted:

Is the "It's Pat" thing a reference to Vaarsuvius' unknown gender?

Yes.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

clockworkjoe posted:

Is he just invisible or is he also ethereal? That might explain why he's flying so close to the walls. Why worry about the enemy army if they can't see or even touch you?

:science: If he was ethereal there wouldn't be any wind.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Not to mention he's actually a really, really good artist who just happens to be using stick figures.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Leikr Elferston posted:

Oh good, it's the "bash alignment" section of the thread.

No it isn't.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Oh, Roy :shobon:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Elan's not become competent, but he has become less than just a bipedal joke. Which is good, adds character depth.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

NorgLyle posted:

It's people like you that ruined Sluggy Freelance. :argh:

I'm not Pete Abrams.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I didn't see anyone mention that

so there we go.

Our conjecture has apparently proved to be correct.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Factor_VIII posted:

I'd say that Belkar seems like a likely candidate to die since the oracle they visited had said that he was going to die soon. Though he admittedly never commented on the lifespans of other members of the OotS, so there's alwas the chance it'll be someone else. (Or maybe since he's a Rogue it's Haley that'll die as that would allow the party to maintain the same class composition it currently has. :))

Oh you shut your filthy whore's mouth. Haley isn't going to die, no sir. Especially not when there's a great deal of plot relating to her that's still to be explored.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Gally posted:

hahah, erfworld has gone into WALLS OF TEXT mode.

Honestly, do we -need- to know this crap for the comic?

Some people have problems writing original and interesting worlds and getting across how original and interesting they are through subtle means, thus resorting to either Claremont-style expogab or Crazy-Jelly-Woman-style pseudoencyclopedia entries.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Gyges posted:

I thought we did, and it was the missing Angel.

No, it was inferred that the slaad was a different entity. Especially since slaadi are toadmonster folk and the angel was an angel.

Here's my conjecture: Belkar is Chaotic Evil. Of course, we can guess as much from his actions. He's not Lawful, obviously. It's doubtful he's Neutral, either. Though Wikipedia (as good a resource as any for nerd poo poo) says "They hold no illusions that following laws, traditions, or codes would make them any better or more noble" it also says "On the other hand, they do not possess the restless nature or love of conflict that a chaotic evil villain has." And Belkar sure loves him some conflict.

Demon A represents Belkar's drives, his id. It is his rampant desires, be they lust or hate (as per V's hypothesis). The crux of its argument is this: Belkar hates Hinjo, Hinjo must die. It isn't considering anything but the short term.

Demon B is Belkar's ego, the rationalisation that tempers his id. It enables him to be malicious with forethought, rather than a mindless engine of destruction. As it itself states, Belkar has a duty to the "Greater You", and curtail his violence )at times) in order to be violent at a later date. It stops him from being a creature of pure instinct and refines him into the wisecracking sociopath we all know and love.

The slaad, I suppose, would be the super-ego. Or, more likely, some kind of nightmarish opposite of the super-ego. One that espouses chaos and immorality rather than order and restraint. Since slaadi are chaotic neutral creatures (usually), it's more than likely it represents the chaotic side of Belkar's personality. Also possibly where he gets his wisecracking from, but who knows?

Anyway, that's all just conjecture v:shobon:v

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Leikr Elferston posted:

Actually we've seen a "Shoulder Slaad" in action before, here-

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0068.html

Along with a modron, their opposite number. Wich of course makes me want to see Belkar's Modron, who is probably in worse shape than his angel.

The demon said "it's just us and the slaad" which means Belkar doesn't have a modron at all. Unsurprising, given his complete disregard for the law.

Still, I think that by the way the demons didn't want the slaad to come out, it's a death slaad and the source of Belkar's incredibly malicious streak (see: lighting Miko on fire, kobold salsa) :colbert:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Factor_VIII posted:

I think that trying to apply Freudian theories to this strip is a bit much. :) My interpretation was that one of these fiends is the equivalent of a devil, thinking things in an ordered manner and devising plans that will enable Belkar to maximize the amount of creatures he slaughters on the long-term, while the other is the equivalent of a demon, wanting to simply randomly kill things with no regard for even short-term consequences. And, as that strip showed, a Slaad would simply be completely incapable of forming an argument and thus be useless in such a discussion, which is why I think it didn't come out.

That makes sense, but I prefer my mumbo-jumbo :colbert:

quote:

Considering that these hobgoblins seem capable of speech and don't look decayed, I'm guessing that they're some other kind of undead. Their red eyes and long teeth make them look like vampires, but since it looks like it's daytime that's probably not it.

Ghouls? Ghasts? D&D has no end of undead.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
:siren: NEW STRIP IS UP! :siren:

Man this strip is pretty :3:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
OotS does filler really well, to be honest. While I've felt "c'mon, get back to the action!" I've never been angry about it like I have with other things.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
It's perfectly possible to do a story and keep it funny. It's just this particular scene diverts from the three currently established lines of action (V vs. death knight, Roy vs. Xykon, Belkar vs. everyone) and doesn't show us anything exciting. Funny? Yes. Cute? Yes. Unless? No. But there are those of us who want to know more about what's happening with V/Roy/Belkar.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
NEW

STRIP

IS

:siren: UP
:siren:

And oh boy was it worth the wait.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Potsticker posted:

It seems to be pretty much Humanoids to me. :v:

I'd say "You" was more fitting.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I wouldn't think that something falling on you has a base damage like that. I mean, there's no accounting for size or weight whatsoever. That'd make a bucket falling from a second storey window do as much damage as a Goddamn house from the same height.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

LuchadoresDelNixon posted:

edit: I find it pretty ironic that the same Silver Dragon is present both times he uses the spell.

Well, most of the same Silver Dragon.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Ferrinus posted:

Death Knight Roy :madmax:

Archlich Roy :toot:

That way he can become a spellcaster like dad wants!

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

greatn posted:

Have there been any psionic characters in the comic yet? I really can't recall any.

Maybe one :v:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Brannock posted:

No, the vampire convinced the blond guy to back off since they knew it was a trap, so now the chick is just sitting there in the forest.

And apparently Parson knows a way to cheese out of the situation now.

He's going to powergame! :v:

My interest in Erfworld has been rekindled by the "units pop into existence" thing. That's pretty interesting. It makes it more of a game-world than a world-like-a-game.

All depends on how the big battle plays out. I'm a bit of a sucker for strategy stuff :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

tsob posted:

I wonder if there are any talented goons who'd want to take a shot at that song, cause that's just awesome :shobon:

Edit: Is that the first time Elan's actually done something useful as a bard then? Most of the rest of the time he just seems to annoy Roy with silly ditties.

You keep trying, eventually you roll a natural 20.