Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

NutShellBill posted:

3) Nale/Sabine convince Miko that Sabine is an LG outsider, imprisoned by the evil, corrupted Sapphire Guard. They make a deal something along the lines of "Sabine will resotre your powers if you help us escape, and oh yeah, together we can rid the world of the evil that is the OOTS." Miko will jump to the conclusion that the Gods do care for her, and eagerly accept.

I doubt that she'll view the Sapphire Guard as being evil, since they are paladins. Though she may well think that they're being manipulated by the OOTS and thus acting against the cause of good, which would cause her to act in the same way.

What I'm curious about is to see what excuse they'll use to avoid raising that old guy from the dead. In the context of D&D raising him would make sense after all. Perhaps the Sapphire Guard will be unwilling to raise him in order to avoid having him regain power, since he has shown himself to be duplicitous and unwilling to follow the paladin code of honor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

HitTheTargets posted:

But Death Knights are enslaved to the Lich King's will while Revenants are wholly separate from the Scourge, and daemonic necromancy too for that matter. Which is important to take into consideration if Miko is animated by her own sheer rage for the OotS and not Xykon's doing.

And now we're discussing the finer points of another game entirely. WACKY!

Death Knights in D&D can arise and act independently. Also, in D&D Paladins that have had a dramatic fall from grace can become Death Knights as a result of their actions. An example of that is Lord Soth, who is the archetypal Death Knight in D&D.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

tsob posted:

I'm beginning to think we'll never find out what's under that umbrella. And after 400 + strips about it, I don't think anything he could reveal would be all that good at this stage, either as a climax, or an anti-climax.

I think that if we see a real final battle against Xykon then that thing may well appear. Of course such a conflict may well not appear for a couple of hundred more strips. :)

Wanderer posted:

So Elan hits crit range 25% of the time or so, and does at least 1d6+7 the rest of the time. For somebody with his BAB, that's pretty badass.

He still needs to be able to roll higher than his enemy's armor class in order to even check for a critical hit. Therefore if he's fighting against an enemy with a high AC he'll only ever hit on a 20 despite his increased threat range. His low BAB therefore still puts him at a disadvantage, though that is admittedly mitigated to an extent by his Charisma bonus to hit.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

SuperKlaus posted:

Haha, that dwarf paladin is so screwed...

Magical items do get a save against a Rust Monster's attacks so if he's high level then he isn't necessarily out of luck. Though next time he should probably hire a Monk to handle this sort of situation.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

ZorbaTHut posted:

I can't agree with that. Even fantasy universes have some understanding of basic elements. Coinage is copper, silver, gold, and platinum. Iron and copper are used as terms for weapon and armor quality. The less obvious elements show up all the time in traps (I knew a GM who loved mercury - you had to be incredibly careful whenever you found a "room with a silver floor" because it could turn out to be a "room with a ten-foot-deep pit filled with mercury" instead.)

When the four element theory was believed in, the various metals were viewed as simply being different forms of the element of earth. Just as modern chemistry fails to draw distinctions between the gaseous, liquid and solid forms of the various elements despite the fact that they look and act so differently, people from the antiquity to the middle ages simply lumped all metals into a single element.

clockworkjoe posted:

Oh and katana elementals were a joke. I thought putting it in there would make it obvious I wasn't being very serious with my observation.

Katana elementals do seem like an impossibility. Katana golems on the other hand...

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Sock posted:

It's been foreshadowed for a long time.

I suspect that this might be referring to the Snarl itself rather than to Xykon. Xykon after all doesn't possess ultimate power, so I fail to see how he'd be able to impart it onto V. The Snarl on the other hand must have such power for Xykon to seek it out.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Bobulus posted:

(Completely ignoring, of course, how the heck a creature unable to touch air would be able to fly)

There's no gravity in the Ethereal plane, so this isn't a problem.

Gay Polymers posted:

Won't the invisibility break as soon as he attacks something?

It will; unless of course he has cast greater invisibility instead. (Though he probably hasn't since its duration is extremely short.)

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Tag Plastic posted:

You know, I'm a bit worried about Roy at the moment. More worried than I have been about any of the other PCs before. Don't die Roy :(

Don't worry; even if the worst does happen, he can always be raised from the dead. :)

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Backdoor Blanche posted:

There's not much in it that's really new, most of it is just fleshing out the backstories and interactions between the characters, as well as being just interesting new stories. Off the top of my head, the only big new thing I can think of is that Durkon has been prophesized to "bring death and destruction to us all" (us all being the dwarves) when he returns home. That's why he was sent out into human lands, to hopefully keep him from ever being able to return, the High Priest of Odin is hoping he'll be eaten by a monster and never get back.

Since we already know that Durkon is going to return to his homeland (posthumously) maybe he'll get turned into a powerful evil undead later on and return to destroy the community that exiled him. :)

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

Aw, the archer-prisoner-badass-guy is so going to be a PC! This seems to further support the theory that one of the Order is going to die by this arc's end, though :(

I'd say that Belkar seems like a likely candidate to die since the oracle they visited had said that he was going to die soon. Though he admittedly never commented on the lifespans of other members of the OotS, so there's alwas the chance it'll be someone else. (Or maybe since he's a Rogue it's Haley that'll die as that would allow the party to maintain the same class composition it currently has. :))

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Fuego Fish posted:

Anyway, that's all just conjecture v:shobon:v

I think that trying to apply Freudian theories to this strip is a bit much. :) My interpretation was that one of these fiends is the equivalent of a devil, thinking things in an ordered manner and devising plans that will enable Belkar to maximize the amount of creatures he slaughters on the long-term, while the other is the equivalent of a demon, wanting to simply randomly kill things with no regard for even short-term consequences. And, as that strip showed, a Slaad would simply be completely incapable of forming an argument and thus be useless in such a discussion, which is why I think it didn't come out.

Vomax posted:

Speculation based on current strip: Will the 'line of low level clerics' repel the horde of zombies and maybe even kick the death knight's rear end? Hobgoblin zombies don't strike me as having particularly many HD, and with most of them turned/destroyed I think the knight will be easy pickings.

Considering that these hobgoblins seem capable of speech and don't look decayed, I'm guessing that they're some other kind of undead. Their red eyes and long teeth make them look like vampires, but since it looks like it's daytime that's probably not it.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Backdoor Blanche posted:

edit: sorry if I came off angry here. I just used to really, really like KoDT and it just got so lovely once they came out with Hackmaster, it really pisses me off.

I used to like KoDT quite a bit as well. I stopped buying it when the comic ended up being more about uninteresting character drama (Will Crutch ever escape his life of crime? Will Bob ever manage to make peace with his father? etc) rather than jokes about RPGs. The fact that the magazine was stuffed with articles about Hackmaster, a game system I had no interest in, certainly didn't help maintain my interest in it.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

JohnnyCanuck posted:

1st ed, actually! :eng101:

According to what I it said in the back of one of the books it's a combination of 1st and 2nd edition AD&D as well as some new stuff. I had a look through the Player's Handbook and it seemed like AD&D but with a bunch of extra overcomplicated and counter-intuitive rules. It's neither funny to read and its rule system is both bad and a slightly altered version of a widely available older game so I don't think it works either as a humor book or as an RPG.

SuperKlaus posted:

So, doods, we need a new thread for 1 kilopost or is this thing good to go for eternity?

Statring a new thread will interrupt the flow of the discussion and since large threads no longer strain the servers I see no reason no reason close this thread.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

I never get tired of the joke concerning the ever-present familiar. It's so true to the game. :)

DaveWoo posted:

Same here. Looks like the site's getting hammered.

It took a while for it to load for me as well. I've uploaded it on waffleimages in case the problem persists.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Taerkar posted:

Wisdom is always a dump stat for warriors.

Considering that warriors have crappy Will saves, Wisdom score is more important for them than either Intelligence or Charisma.

Taerkar posted:

WHY WON'T ANYONE THINK OF THE CRITTERS?

Seriously, all the critters he tossed out of the bag of tricks. They go splat too?

Aren't these summoned? If they are then they'll simply return to where they came from when they are destroyed.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Too bad the paladins didn't have some contingency to deal with the throne room falling to Xykon. If they had hidden a few barrels of gunpowder (this is an oriental setting after all) under the throne and then set it off, it would have probably destroyed both the gate and Xykon. Or perhaps some spell could have accomplished the same.

clockworkjoe posted:

:rolleye: godwin is the new godwin. You're an idiot. You know, I still like OOTS, I think Xykon being so powerful isn't funny or good for the story. Happy Elf makes a good point. Why does he even need Snarl? He could already take over the world.
Perhaps he's interested in trying to take over the outer planes as well. With the Snarl's power under his control he'd probably be able to even kill gods.

clockworkjoe posted:

He's basically Sauron and Sauron shouldn't be out on the frontlines. He should back in his lair, plotting evil.
Sauron does step out and fight during the siege of Barad-dűr near the end of the Second Age. :)

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

clockworkjoe posted:

I would think an epic level lich versus a room full of prepared paladins and clerics would be a dramatic, even awesome battle. But the rubber ball trick is pretty lame, after the previous fights we've seen in the battle. And it is offensive, because throwing a symbol in someone's face is forcing them to look. He used it to attack the paladins. That's what offensive means. Symbols are meant to defend or protect a location. Do you think the game designers wanted an 8th level spell being vastly more powerful than 9th level attack spells like meteor swarm? No. Use common sense.

So, as a fantasy story, this failed, because it isn't well..fantastic. It's just cheap.

If Xykon had simply flown in with Greater Invisibility and Stoneskin on and started repeatedly casting Horrid Wilting and Wail of the Banshee, then the fight would have indeed ended as one would expect based on D&D. However that would have been too predictable in my opinion. Having a bouncing ball that drove all the paladins to slaughter one another was much more inventive than that and thus more interesting.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Regarding the point raised by Happyelf about Paladins dying all the time, I think that makes perfect sence for them to do so. A Paladin after all is the epitome of good and being good means being altruistic towards others. I can't think of a better way to demonstrate altruism than to sacrifice oneself in order to save others, and thus I think that doing so should come naturally to that class.

clockworkjoe posted:

I do think the paladin needs a new writeup. The paladin code of conduct is too simple and vague. Furthermore, other classes need a code of conduct.

Paladins have codes of conduct because they derive their powers from another entity that supports them in exchange for them behaving in a certain manner. Why would other character classes, other than perhaps clerics and druids, need codes of conduct as well?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

greatn posted:

Symbol of insanity is actually permanent, so killing herself may have been out of insanity.

The fact she expresses regret for her actions indicates that she was lucid at the time. Besides, that spell doesn't make the target kill himself. :)

greatn posted:

Sorcerers can cast whatever they want as long as they know the spell and have a slot left.

But then again they know a lot less spells, so there's a good chance that Xykon doesn't know it. Of course sorcerers can get around that by using scrolls.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Fuego Fish posted:

"I may not be exactly what you would call-" doesn't have to end with "human", and I'd say it's fairly unlikely it does. There's a whole host of things it could be.

I agree she could have finished her sentence with "honest" or "open" for example. The idea that she meant she isn't human does seem like a bit f a stretch, though I suppose it would fit to an extent as a counter to Sabine (though the latter is a fiend rather than a tiefling).

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Bobulus posted:

Rereading some of the old strips, I'm surprised Haley reacts so much to a Detect Evil spell.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0202.html

Almost as if she's worried that it will detect something she doesn't want known. But she doesn't seem evil, and doesn't register evil, so I'm not sure what it means.

Using alignment detection spells is considered to be very impolite in D&D. By using them, you are stating that you don't trust the other person in the slightest and consider them to be duplicitous or worse. Perhaps that's why she objected to it.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Phanatic posted:

You can argue that the Blood War was a cool concept (I think it's incredibly lame, and that it improved on nothing that Ed Greenwood did in his 9 Hells articles back in the early 70-numbered issues of Dragon) and reasonable people can agree on that, but there was nothing cool whatsoever about that renaming.

I think that the Blood War is a good idea since it explains why the upper planes are such a nice place compared to the lower planes. After all since the forces of good and evil have roughly equal power in D&D, the demons and the devils would have no reason not to invade them. That fact that they're too busy slaughtering each other is what keeps them from turning the upper planes into one giant battlefield. And it was also created too fit with Planescape's theme which was mainly about Law vs. Chaos rather than Good vs. Evil.

Vicissitude posted:

Tyrants of the Nine Hells explains the Blood War and the origin of Devils.

Is that a WotC book? Because in Planescape the Baatezu and the Tanar'ri had originated as Yugoloths larvae that had been corrupted by Law or Chaos, which the Yugoloths then exiled to Baator or to the Abyss.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Maldraedior posted:

I was reading through the books again and came across one of Burlew's notes where he says that sometimes he has plot points happen solely to explain away reasons why the party can't use certain strategies later on(in this case V not having Fly so that later they can't easily escape the wall of ice), and something occured to me. Theoretically, couldn't a high level fighter with greatsword specialization, a +5 Greatsword, and Great Cleave hold that breach against some piddly hobgoblins indefinitely? Or at least until the fiendish mastodon showed up? Only so many could fit through each round, and any that didn't die to Attacks of Opportunity would be slaughtered with one attack+cleave on Roy's turn.

I think you answered your own question there. Once the enemy forces saw that one guy was killing all the 1st level warrior hobgoblins charging into the breach, they'd send something more powerful there to take him out. Even if they lacked that, they could simply have their archers shoot him until he turned into a pincushion. Even if they had to rely exclusively on critical hits they'd wear him out eventually since he wouldn't be able to move away from his position.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

I would classify it as OotS being a funny epic story, whereas Erfworld is kind of a quirky (in this case, used as an insult) drama.

I got curious and read the first 40 strips of Erfworld and I'd simply classify it as being bad, since I didn't find it to be funny and its story isn't engaging or interesting. The presence of stupid internet catchphrases such as the "oh really" owl and all the cutesy names certainly don't do it a favor; and the ham-fisted attempt to spice up the comic via lesbian B&D was also quite stupid and unnecessary. I wonder how much of that webcomic is simply what its author wishes he could be.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

Why does a god let it's clerics use whatever spell they want, whenever they want to?

In the end, the only good reason is game balance.

I agree that game balance it the primary reason, but the same applies to a ton of things in the game. In my opinion this is a good thing since D&D is a game after all and sacrificing some realism in a game that's highly unrealistic in exchange for greater playbility is a pretty good choice.

But to rationalize why gods don't give clerics unlimited power, I'd say it's because the gods themselves don't have unlimited power, so they can only give a certain amount of it to their followers. And giving greater power to a follower that hasn't demonstrated his loyalty as much seems like a rather bad idea, since they're more likely to misapply it or use it for their own ends.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

greatn posted:

OK, my following question would be: why are these paladins so retarded? It should be common knowledge bladed weapons suck against skeletons and therefore liches. They are proficient with all martial weapons. They KNEW Xykon would come for the throne room. Why the hell were none of them wielding maces, mauls, clubs, nunchuks or otherwise?

All of my characters always carry at least one slashing, one piercing and one bludgeoning weapon for this very reason.

The paladins that just died were all low level so it wouldn't really have made a difference. Those that were already dead are limited to the items they had with them when they died, so unless they found a ghost touch bludgeoning weapon, they're all out of luck.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Rose wood posted:

I'm hoping for a ghost dad and ghost roy double deus ex machina... But then I really don't know the D&D rules regarding ghosts v:shobon:v

Xykon has already killed both of them once before without even breaking a sweat, so I doubt that they'd be very effective a second time, especially now that Xykon has Redcloack's backing.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Sam Hall posted:

wait, Ghost Dad wasn't killed by Xykon was he? didn't he just die on his own with unfinished business?

The reason the Order of the Stick went after Xykon in the first place was because Roy wanted to avenge his father's death.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

greatn posted:

Yeah, you're right.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0112.html

Oops; that will teach me to talk about stuff I had read years ago without double checking. :shobon:

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

20 internet bux says she ends up helping Xykon unwittingly just as Soon is about to finish him off.

That what I was thinking as well. Maybe she'll see the spectral Fu Manchu, think that he's a ghost summoned by Redcloak and attack him instead of Xykon.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Arctic Baldwin posted:

In all fairness, it was a huge fall that killed Roy. Roy managed to take a meteor storm and now Xykon has used up a good amount of spells. Could be a fair fight

He still can't do much damage to Xykon though; despite the fact he had a sword that specifically aimed at combating undead he was only able to occasionally hit him. And with Redcloak by Xykon's side who's able to rebuke undead and cast plenty of spells that can injure ghosts, I think Roy still wouldn't have much of a chance.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Bobulus posted:

I think the comic shows that Burlew is good at pulling you in to the storyline. I'm pretty sure I don't want Xylon and Redcloak to die, since they're fun villains, but for a split moment, I was super-pissed off at they got away again, because I'd sided with the OOTS so strongly.

I was rather disappointed to see them survive. In my opinion, it would have been a better twist if they had both died and some other villain appeared later to replace them. Xykon and Redcloak have been around for quite a while after all, so its not as if they haven't had enough show time.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

I like OotS and you guys are taking this all way, way, way too seriously. I can only assume that the real reason Dragon magazine collapsed was because they were buried under the weight of the angry fan letters they got after they started publishing OotS.
Dragon died? I'm a bit sorry to hear that; I sort of expected that it would keep getting published for as long as D&D was around, considering it's almost as old as the game itself.

Sock posted:

What's going to happen now that the gate is destroyed? Are Miko (and O'Chul and Soon) going to get caught in an explosion or what?
This has already been discussed in this thread; the explosion was the mechanism used to destroy that specific gate. Gates don't explode when they are destroyed.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Ferrinus posted:

Don't you feel silly now!
That was the consensus here, so at least I wasn't alone in my mistake. :)

Sefer posted:

In that she has evasion, she probably didn't even take damage from the explosion. On the other hand, Soon is incorporeal, so he may still have the chance to explain to her what an idiot she is.
Couldn't the ghost paladins only appear withing the throne room? Since there no longer is a throne room, he may have been sent back to the outer planes.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

Eh, it was a nice end. Where did Miko really have to go from here? Either she descends further into insanity and becomes a Blackguard (predictable, cliche), continues being a self-involved crazy bitch (stagnant, repetetive) or has a crazy redemption and completely goes against everything she used to be (stupid, unrealistic).

Really it was the best way to send her off since the whole Azure City plotline seems to have drawn to a close for the most part anyway.
I thing you're spot on. Having her keep doing stupid things in the misguided belief that she was doing good had gotten old and annoying by this point already, so its good to see her go. Plus, it's good to see that Burlew is willing to kill major characters, since we can be pretty sure, unlike with Roy, that she won't be coming back.

Sergeant Rock posted:

So what alignment do you guys think Miko was when she died? :downs:
Lawful Stupid.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

sakesniper posted:

How can Redcloak be so certain that Soon or anyone else with knowledge of the gates would be dumb enough to record the defenses of the other ones?

I mean, beyond the halfling bard (?) who was dumb enough to record their locations.

He can't be, but it's worth a shot. After all, having information about the gates would allow people to guard them more effectively. And they don't need that information to be written down; they can also interrogate prisoners or even corpses with spells such as Speak with dead.

Wanderer posted:

I'm beginning to wonder if the last couple of major delays have arisen from a last-minute rewrite or two.

Apparently, one of the published OotS books claims that Miko's around for the long haul, but I really couldn't fault Burlew if he'd decided to kill her off permanently as a reaction to how loving insane she makes the readers.

The entire Azure City plotline, in fact, has been full of weird little in-jokes or side references that seem to have come directly from forum conversations, like the poisoned arrow or Tsukiko finding Miko's body.

That seems a rather poor way of acting. After all, his audience encompasses a lot more people than just those that post at his forum; if he tries to customize it to target them, or just to screw with them, he might eventually alienate other more casual readers.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Vorxnyx posted:

He's a spellcaster. Chances are he'll just pop back in a strip or two.

Invisibility only lasts for a few minutes though. Considering that that was his last spell, I wonder how he'll manage to sneak by the Hongoblin army. Unless of course he has a few scrolls tucked away for emergencies.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Jeet posted:

if we can argue the minutae of D&D rules, we can discuss the other 2 comics on the drat site
One possible compromise would be to have the word Erfworld in bold at the start of each post discussing that webcomic. This way the rest of us will be able to more easily avoid posts that discuss that steaming pile of pixels. :)

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Archyduke posted:

I sort of agree. I think all the animosity towards it stems from the fact that its hosted right alongside OotS, which is a much, much better comic. If Erfworld was just out there existing on its own site, I probably wouldn't feel as irritated about its little quirks.

Then again, I probably wouldn't read it much at all. But hey, there are a handful of webcomics that I read sporadically to rarely, and a lot of them are, to be fair, a lot worse than Erfworld (Questionable Content, Girls With Slingshots, etc.).

I think that the strip is certainly helped by being on Burlew's web-site simply in terms of building a reader base and getting exposure, but its also, at this point, kind of in OotS' shadow. If it moved off to its own site sometime I think it could still carve out a little niche for itself, based on the responses and interest its generated in this thread alone.
If it weren't for the discussion in this thread, then I'd have never bothered reading any of it at all, so I guess I know who to blame. :)

However I don't think that it deserves that exposure, as I find it to be pretty bad. There are certainly worse webcomics out there, but that doesn't say much since abominations made by people that have deluded themselves into thinking they're artists are quite plentiful on the web. And saying that it isn't the worst webcomic isn't much of a defense, since that doesn't imply it's worth reading. Personally I think it isn't; from what I had read of it the plot was predictable, the attempts at drawing interest in the comic, e.g. lesbian S&M, were clumsy and unfunny and the Internet catchphrases (An owl that says o rly? Where does this man get his material?) are both tired and stupid. And let's not forget that there were strips that were mere infodumps, which indicate an inability on the part of the author to present the relevant information within the story, and the stupid cutesy names. Erfworld might not be the worst webcomic, but it's certainly a bad one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Ferrinus posted:

Oh god Redcloak has already cast like twenty spells today! What if he dies :(
I think the answer is quite obvious: Zombie Redcloak.