Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
The quality and narrative of OOtS has jumped leaps and bounds ever since Rich quit his dayjob. The extra effort that goes into the stories, the double and triple length strips, and just the general jump in artistic effort and layouts has lead to this strip being my #2 favorite webcomic behind Scarygoround.

I was always really baffled in the old Webcomic discussion threads when people bitched about the Mikko storyline and character, because I could even then see that it was going to lead into awesome new directions. Xykon is a decent villain, but for the sake of maintaining the freshness of the strip and preventing it from being one Xykon story after another new villains really needed to be developed. Mikko and the Linear Guild have both been really strong additions to the strip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

404GoonNotFound posted:

Wow. Next payday that's mine. Thanks.

But drat, what to put as the title?

what's a "fenix"?
how thog's pants turn purple?
thog believe he can fly
thog get in touch with inner greenness. and outer grenness too.
thog arrived.
yay! now ice cream!
group hug!

Personally I'd crop out the bubble and just have a larger picture of Thog. As is its a little too small to make the avatar grab your eye, and the quote in the bubble does nothing to enhance it.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

the_steve posted:

A bit more like this then?

I like this one better.

"Let Thog get door for you!"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Guardian 585 posted:

My attempt at a Banjo the Clown avatar

That is awesome.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

hermanos posted:

This thread reads like algebra to me, mostly since I know nada about D&D, but the strip is pretty funny.

The only way to learn is to roll a character.

Its time Hermanos. Don't be afraid. Its blissssssssssssss.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

(I have waited long for this moment)

:frogsiren: NEW STRIP IS UP :frogsiren:

I think Roy's sword is a little indicative of exactly how far from her rocker Miko has strayed.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Why the hell would you go off on Roy? She MURDERED Shojo out of a self-absorbed insanity, she's tried killing or imprisoning the innocent Order on several occasions with recognition of her own mistakes in the matter, and she's finally gone over the edge to the point where her own deities have forsaken her. Roy's just putting a mad dog down.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

tsob posted:

Just read the post on it on 4chan, no way I'm bringing that drama-bomb in here.

I wouldn't read 4chan if you paid AND linked me.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Here is Miko's first appearance. Anyone who thinks she has any genuine good within her is dumb as a box of rocks.

An additional note to those planning a Banjo the Clown avatar: You can't have one without inserting a Banjulhu panel as a suprise.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Werle fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 1, 2007

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

bgaesop posted:

I thought to look in the Paladin's Mount sidebar but not the Class Features section. Oy. :downs: Still, there's something interesting there:

And yet:

:raise:

I'm not familiar with Paladin rules enough to know whether its the case, but do they have to prepare their daily spells like a wizard or cleric does? If that is the case, maybe she only prepared one "Conjure Celestial Mount" spell for the day and the time she refers to is waiting til the next day when she could resummon Windstriker at full health.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

the_steve posted:

Especially not since we're discussing a D&D based comic.

And especially especially not because D&D is awesome :rock:

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

tsob posted:

I'd have put it under the throne or something persnoally. Same effect Soon was going for, but less chance of something silly like that happening.

I don't think interior decorating its a paladin class skill, give the dude a break.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

tsob posted:

I'm beginning to think we'll never find out what's under that umbrella. And after 400 + strips about it, I don't think anything he could reveal would be all that good at this stage, either as a climax, or an anti-climax.

Also, I'm a bit sad to see that Elan seems to have abondoned his banjo (instrument). He needs to get something like the Six-String Samurai, with the sword integrated into the body of the guitar.

I'm pretty sure Elan plays a lute, not a banjo. Bards do not play banjos.

Also, if he were to adopt a random instrument weapon as a hype/pop culture reference, especially after just receiving a +3 rapier from Captain Scoundrel, it would be incredibly, mind bogglingly lame.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Son of a bitch, it pisses me off so much when it takes him this long to update, considering he had the whole weekend to work on the loving thing <:mad:>

Yeah, gently caress that guy who gives us free comics of high quality :jerkbag:

I'm dying for a new strip too, but unless you're mailing him checks shut up.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fuego Fish posted:

The least he could do is stick with his current schedule but say "updates Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday". That way it'd be wholly accurate.

I mean, he updates 3 times a week, just about a day later than when he says he will.

He's been consistently on time for the last month or two, at least if you're not running off European moonclocks. And the only times I've noticed him being late are when he's doing double or triple length comics like we have today.

"Updates Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays before midnight (Eastern Standard Time). Usually."

Dude has a proviso, his rear end is covered. :colbert:

Azure City really should have just sniped some ebay auctions or something, leaving yourself at the mercy of booster packs is just a waste of cash.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Psion posted:

I figure it's time for everyone to play the baseless prediction game:

The schism in town means Lord Evil Bad Guy Xykon will win. Hinjo will go with the Order as penance/to prevent it from happening again, filling out the role of Miko's opposite when she joins the Linear Guild.

Nah, they'll successfully beat off the siege after Roy whups the Lords of Azure City into submission.

My prediction for the battle is the death of Redcloak. Its time for a new henchman to rise.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Lafarga posted:

Roy's had that thing around his neck for hundreds of strips and I think it's been commented on once. At this point it's just part of his character design, like his boots. If I were doing the strip, that's how I would get ready to make everybody reading the comic go "oh crap, I forgot about that!" when this always-present but rarely-mentioned item becomes important.

I have no idea how it's going to be important, but my bet is that it's going to turn out to be critical in some manner during this next sequence, and Roy's going to beat himself up for forgetting he had it.

I don't think the crown has any importance whatsoever. Xykon doesn't give two shits about the Order, he knows they got in his way last time but he still considers them smalltime. He doesn't even remember Roy's name, much less have a hardon for killing him because Roy took his stupid hat.

The Werle fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 17, 2007

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

:frogsiren: New Strip Baby :frogsiren:

Oh Xykon, you'll never rule the world with this attitude.

This reenforces my guess about Redcloak, he's getting awfully emotionally invested in this.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

I'm going to lay down some harsh truth here, but its pretty much inescapable.

Redcloak is a goblin. He will never overcome Xykon to be the evil overlord, he'll never upgrade from lackey. D&D's glass ceiling is both firm and opaque, nothing gets through.

Simply put, goblins are low level enemies.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

IMJack posted:

Goblin warriors are low level enemies, sure.

Redcloak fought Miko to a draw. He has at least as many cleric levels as she has paladin levels, if not more.

Character race doesn't matter when you have the PC class levels to be a badass. My group learned this from a group of kobold monks.
NPC vs NPC battles are meaningless except for narrative means. The DM screen dictates their actions!

SuperKlaus posted:

And you all know The Werle is right. Goblins is bitches and that's all there is to it.

:hellyeah:

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

SuperKlaus posted:

Hay now I get to be the obsessive-compulsive nut who does this! :f5:

New strip http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0419.html

Blackguard question answered? Also, Astral pools...every third strip I feel I've sunk to even nerdier depths.

You gotta post this with some :frogsiren:s man, you know, really shout it out.

Wouldn't the anti-magic prison affect Sabine's regenerative abilities?

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Rincewind posted:

Maybe that's why her neck is still twisted around. :)

Yeah, but shouldn't she be dead instead?

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Endrite posted:

Why does everyone have such a huge boner for Miko becoming a Blackguard?

Because she's evil. Duh.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Vomax posted:

Does the Erfworld guy pay Rich Burlew to be on his site? Seems like just being on the sidebar of a comic like OotS would be great advertising, and quite a few people in this thread (myself included) only check it out because it's right there.

I doubt it, he maintains other webcomics like Bruno the Bandit on his own. I think he's just friendly with a lot of guys who're bigger than he is, like Rich and Pete from Sluggy.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

:frogsiren: New Strip is up! :frogsiren:

HitTheTargets posted:

Maybe the blind seer has some magic though, who know?

Welp, I think you can forget that theory

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Wanderer posted:

The GitP forums had a lot of the same ideas. I think some strips have arisen entirely out of the plotline speculation on there. Either that, or Birlew's a goon.

:tinfoil: He's watching us right now!

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Yeah, but check that Greater Cleave out...

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Brannock posted:

The only people I can think of that's still in the castle is the old guy that refused to fight. I think some people were speculating whether or not he was Haley's father.

I think the majority of the Sapphire Guard Paladins are actually inside the tower, the guys outside are just grunt soldiers and clerics for the most part. The elite forces are guarding the tower 300 style.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Man, I thought that the Talisman would break when he fell at least.

Since when do fighters fear falling damage? The gravity rules for D&D are totally inconsequential in comparison to a high level fighters hit points.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Brannock posted:

I decided to skim the archives, and I found a piece of foreshadowing that might support Hinjo replacing Roy. Note the party size and composition.

Ummm...no.

The purpose of Soon's band was to establish a reason for each of the snarl gates having a different method of defense, and to set up Shojo as somebody with knowledge to fill the Order in on backstory. There's nothing there to suggest that Hinjo would join the order.

Not to say that its impossible, but between him being the new Leader of the Sapphire Guard and having a few hundred evil backstabbing nobles who would take over the city and ruin everything I doubt he's going anywhere.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

tsob posted:

I wonder if there are any talented goons who'd want to take a shot at that song, cause that's just awesome :shobon:

I dunno if I can get access to the sound studio at school or not, but if I have spare time this week i'll give it a shot.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Wow, Soon's own ghost may make this a close battle. I felt for sure we were going to see a total victory for Xykon here, but maybe they'll actually destroy or protect the gate.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Ferrinus posted:

Hey, I don't think Miko is misunderstood or shortchanged or treated unfairly - by real-world standards, she's a horrible monster. But she's still "Lawful Good" until such time as she decides to stop trying to serve justice and the gods and so forth.

Basically I see alignment as a statement of intentions, so there's no point in telling someone who (honestly, as far as they can tell) claims to be some alignment that they're really a different alignment.

NO SHE IS NOT! Get it through your head, she is serving her own sense of self-importance and delusion, not any sort of truelly noble ambition.

She doesn't give two shits about what the 12 gods actually want, she doesn't care about helping people or anything. She pays lip service to those beliefs while doing whatever it takes to make herself feel like she is a special person of divine importance, and anything unjust or violent that she does is justified because she "serves the gods".

She's a fallen loving paladin for a reason, she didn't seek atonement for a reason. If she did it, by nature its what the gods want, because its her and she can do no wrong in her own eyes.

She's loving evil.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Ferrinus, if Happy Elf and I are in complete agreement than it clearly means you're totally wrong.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

bgaesop posted:

Heeey, the site's down and everyone besides me is a dick!

Thank you, you beautiful little man.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

I'm glad it happened this way, truth be told. Miko's story really only had potential to keep spinning off into more and more horrible places. Her death lets her serve a purpose, but won't result in sideplots and recurring harrassment of the Order that could have led Burlew away from the main focus.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Haley must be experiencing some serious character growth, she left the skull's eye gems behind.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Robot Bastard posted:

I bet it's Crohn's Disease.

Based on the regularity of flareups and disabling nature of them I'd be inclined to agree. Crohns is such a bitch too, I know like half a dozen people who have it.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Goddamit I want an update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Could this be the start of Burlew's two week or more hiatus? I can't imagine the current cliffhanger is how he wants to end the next collection, but its been quite a few days since we've seen a strip.