Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
I was kind of sad when the comic started moving away from the humor it had in the first few strips, but this last update really grabbed my interest. I like that there are so many ways it can go from here, and it doesn't really seem like there's one theory that's ahead of any other. The Haley speech thing was getting pretty annoying, and I'm glad he finally finished with it, but I'm eager to see where he's going with the rest of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Bamf posted:

I'm sort of hoping Miko realizes what she's done and tries to achieve penance.

Taking a character from someone you hate to someone you feel empathy for would be way more interesting than her just going all sith lord or whatever.

I wouldn't really mind if Miko just faded away at this point. Have a few more comics with her in jail, having given up on life, maybe even facing execution for killing the ruler. Then just move the comic on to something else, like back to the army of hobgoblins and/or the rest of the gates.

Like the previous comic, this one is really open-ended.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
More fuel for the "Roy is a dick" fire. :mmmhmm:

Seems like Miko might stay around for a while with a vendetta against all of them, which would actually be kind of cool.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

ZorbaTHut posted:

I'm half-expecting her to join the Linear Guild. She makes a good opposite for Roy - they'd have to get rid of Thog somehow, but maybe he just sees something sparkly in a window and gets lost.

It's quite possible that Miko knows about the identities of their new prisoners - at least to the extent of "they hate the Order of the Stick" - and, seriously, if Miko in her present state goes and talks to Nale, she'll probably end up 100% convinced that Nale is a force for good and puppies and rainbows, fighting against the twisted demonic mastermind that is Roy.

It'd be a bit cliche - I don't want the story to end up being "good guys versus bad guys", with the OotS on one side and Xykon+Miko+Linear Guild on the other - but I think those groups do really need to interact at some point, even if they don't permanently ally.

I agree that Nale would easily be able to manipulate her into joining him against the OotS, but as long as she feels she is still on the side of Good, the Linear Guild would have to be walking on eggshells to keep her placated. Though I guess Miko would be able to pretty easily rationalize almost anything as long as Nale kept her convinced it was part of revenge on the OotS.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

High Altitude Hair Stylist posted:

If it's within threat range, it's an automatic hit.

Almost certain that's only a natural 20, otherwise weapons with high crit ranges and feats/spells that increased them would be entirely too powerful.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Rose wood posted:

Either that or Xykon reveals some cunning, brilliant plan that wins the whole thing at the last second. His character's gone kind of the 'incompetent villain' route but it's hard to tell if he's actually incompetent or if he's just faking it.

I wouldn't say he's incompetent, just extremely confident. He feels no need to plan anything since he assumes he'll just blow up anything that gets in his way.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

the_steve posted:

Is it just me, or is Hinjo kind of a dick?

I know the situation is kind of hectic, but I can't shake the feeling that he likes having the Order by the balls as it were.

He's still a Lawful Good paladin and feels (perhaps rightfully so) that the OotS conspired with Shojo to circumvent the rules. I think it's understandable for him to think that, although he needs their help, they are still lawbreakers and deserve to be dealt with as such.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
Does the Erfworld guy pay Rich Burlew to be on his site? Seems like just being on the sidebar of a comic like OotS would be great advertising, and quite a few people in this thread (myself included) only check it out because it's right there.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Samedi posted:

Weren't people bitching two pages ago because the exposition was taking forever?

I think people just don't like the comic and will thus bitch about everything. v:shobon:v

I really liked Belkar in this last strip, though I wish we could have seen the slaad. :frog:

Vomax fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 6, 2007

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

the_steve posted:

It's like he reads our thoughts. :tinfoil:

I actually laughed out loud after reading this thread and then the new strip.

Totally looking forward to the next one now! :rock:

Speculation based on current strip: Will the 'line of low level clerics' repel the horde of zombies and maybe even kick the death knight's rear end? Hobgoblin zombies don't strike me as having particularly many HD, and with most of them turned/destroyed I think the knight will be easy pickings.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

sakesniper posted:

My real question about Belkar is why you would want someone who'd casually murder you in your party. There really isn't any question he's chaotic evil in my eyes. Why have someone who's such a huge liability on your team?

Because he's really good at killing other people too? v:shobon:v

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
:siren: NEW STRIP IS UP :siren:

Funny, but a teensy bit anticlimactic. v:)v

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

greatn posted:

Wait, Xykon has 15 DR against a +5 greatsword because it is not a blunt weapon? That's ridiculous. By the time you get up to +5 it shouldn't matter that it ain't blunt. Who wrote these rules?

Even given that, the +5 greatsword with undead smiting ability, even up against that DR, is certainly more useful than a 1d10 damage shillelagh, essentially making that oil useless to him.

With 3.5, Wizards of the Coast changed the DR rules from DR/+1, DR/+2, etc. to just DR/magic. I'm pretty sure things like DR/bludgeoning, DR/slashing, DR/cold iron and such existed before, but they started applying those more than just DR/magic as well as toning down the amount of DR across the board. Lots of people bitched about it, but I kind of saw it as a way to make DR worth something again.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Schwarzwald posted:

How about timestop, fly in and grab the portal gem from the throne, and then fly out?

Remember, his objective isn't to defeat his enemies, it's to gently caress with the dimentional thingy.

I can't see him NOT loving with the paladins once he's seen that. He might time stop, grab the gem and then start killing people, though.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
Holy cow he is such a jerk. That poor paladin in the last panel is killing herself. :(

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

bgaesop posted:

Monks have Slow Fall.

They have to be touching a wall to use it, though. I'm not sure if segments of wall falling at the same rate as the monk counts.

Despite the simplicity, I have to agree with others and say that is a cool looking explosion.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
I could see her dying from the explosion but then having the sheer gumption necessary to come back as some sort of OotS- and god-hating undead thing.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
I thought this was a great ending for Miko's character. She was never really likable, but if you tried you could kind of see where she was coming from. Like others have said, I'm glad she didn't become a blackguard or live to continue plaguing the OotS, but I'm also glad she got the slightest glimmer of redemption there at the end.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Ununnilium posted:

I like how Redcloak is basically a Roy who hates humans.

Yeah, every team needs a competent straight man.

I wonder if he'd be content to live out the rest of his days there in Azure City if Xykon just up and left him for the next gate.

Also, after nearly getting destroyed, you'd think Xykon's confidence would be shaken enough that he wouldn't object too much to a little prep time before setting off again.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
I just this second got the joke. :downs:

It's a good one, though.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Choke Babies Now posted:

Oh Law/Chaos alignment axis, what problems don't you create?

Besides, it's not like Roy being sent to the Neutral Good heaven-plane would be any less nice for him than the Lawful Good one; if anything, the people there are probably more fun to hang out with, and bonus, guaranteed lack of paladins.

Once you're in Lawful Good heaven, can you quit with the all the stuck-up-edness or are there standards you have to maintain?

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Kojiro posted:

it's almost like free publicity.

Which is fine, until your comic starts including underaged interspecies bondage sex, then they don't really want you using their name.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
I found these articles linked somewhere on the web as well: http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/dnd/dungeoncraft/

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
I think those are just two random heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Halloween Jack posted:

Are you talking about a fight, a marriage, or some kind of horrible merging via that Ravenloft artifact?

Belkaarsuvias.

I think he means slash fiction. Which is incredibly bizarre given the characters in question are stick figures.