Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I do hope everyone here knows better than to give an undead the chance to surrender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Well paladins sort of have to ask anyway, don't they?

It's dead. "Always Evil" alignment, like a demon or something. Only a brain-dead paladin stops to tell outsiders and undead to surrender. I like the idea that anything with sentience could conceivably be redeemed but this is D&D and quite a lot of creatures are Evil, Period. That bearded guy deserved what he got.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Discosis posted:

Well it looks like the Linear Guild has it's new caster. I have a feeling Xykon's going to keep this good idea going.

Xykon and the Linear Guild are two separate evil entities.

zakharov posted:

New comic up, with absolutely no story advancement.

We now know Xykon's almost in the throne room and there may be a new permanent member of his crew. That's advancement enough for me. Humor strip, people!

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

gothfae posted:

Mario van Peebles?

Each one's worth its weight in gold!

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Christ, guys, chill out. Take some comfort in knowing that Xykon couldn't defeat that silver dragon (see Paladin Blues). Or, hey, bitch some more because a minion of his rolled some 20s and saved his butt. Just have fun doing it.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well! I know some folks here are happy to see Xykon challenged and I'll agree I'm dying to see the doubtlessly badass conclusion to this, but I hope the badguys still win. Maybe Xykon gets sent back to phylactery and the hobgoblins overrun the city anyhow. I'm still of the opinion that it serves the grand story arc well for the heroes to suffer a major setback here. Plus if Xykon's sent to respawn and the hobgoblin army is stuck trying to figure out how to get through hundreds of ghost paladins to reach the gem that means the badguys can have their worrying victory without necessarily accomplishing anything for a good long time.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

gothfae posted:

This was his "Remember Who You ARE!" moment, I think.

You go Redcloak! One Hit Die Punk solidarity, One Hit Die Punks 4 Lyfe!

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Agreed. Goblins may be bitches but if there's one thing they should do it's swarm, and until now they did a poor job of swarming the walls.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Maybe you should take it to another thread, Ferrinus and happyelf. I mean drat. I think your argument has heated up too much and gone beyond "useful, substantive discussion much needed in a webcomic thread" to "nitpicking and arguing for its own sake." Or hey, take a voluntary probation and don't say another word for a few days. For all you know Durkon will cast "Know Alignment" on her next strip and somebody's just going to feel dumb. More likely that somebody will go on a rant about how wrong BURLEW is, but I can hope.

And what the hell, four or five people from the last few pages talking about OoTS starting to suck? What the hell? If your hours of careful analysis have indeed revealed to you that the strip is gearing up for the old shark-jump, how about feeling smug in private and not bringing crap into a happy place?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Robot Bastard posted:

Yeah, I mean, who'd expect discussion about D&D rules in the discussion thread for a comic based on lampooning D&D rules?

Quiet, you. (no insult meant)

I don't really mind talk about Miko's alignment (this thread was born of it) and now that I look at it a little more I see Ferrinus and happyelf were being quite civil and I thank them for it. I just saw one of those arguments straight out of D&D the forum where obviously nobody was convincing anybody.

farraday posted:

What if you get knocked into an the branch of a magical tree, does that count as magical blunt damage?

If you get knocked into a magical cannabis plant it does.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Wanderer posted:

I'm beginning to wonder if the last couple of major delays have arisen from a last-minute rewrite or two.

Apparently, one of the published OotS books claims that Miko's around for the long haul, but I really couldn't fault Burlew if he'd decided to kill her off permanently as a reaction to how loving insane she makes the readers.

The entire Azure City plotline, in fact, has been full of weird little in-jokes or side references that seem to have come directly from forum conversations, like the poisoned arrow or Tsukiko finding Miko's body.

Well, if I'm not mistaken, Miko has been around for, what, near 300 strips now? Less if you disregard her days as "cloaked figure?" I would comfortably call that a long haul.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Robot Bastard posted:

Pretty much anything that could have happened was "called" at some point.

Happy that the elves didn't "fire" their bows, by the way? I thought that would get a few smiles from this crowd.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

PeterWeller posted:

Did I see a romance developing between Durkon and that paladin? Does this mean we'll have a mul in the cast fifteen years down the road?

I think you're reading too much into it.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

PeterWeller posted:

Or maybe I just have a huge undying boner for the Dark Sun setting.

This and the talk about Belkar wearing skin-suits reminds me of those psycho halflings in Baldur's Gate II that were supposed to be from Dark Sun. Is that what a Jerren is?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

I've been thinking of making a spiked chain fighter just because honestly I think it could be fun and fit in on Darksun(where I'm playing currently) as a guy who started doing it as a gimmicky arena fighter, and had considerably more trouble in the actual world. I remember the OotS comic about such a build. Know of any good sites with write ups on this type of thing? Like, how to build X-character? Because I suck at builds.

Check out the official D&D Character Optimization boards and your world may be rocked.

Ferrinus posted:

You guys, I'm pretty sure that the most overpowered, unstoppable, and generally unfair race/class combination in the game is [anything]/[druid or cleric]. Fire elemental octopus monks or whatever are kind of goofy, but they're not exactly the end of game balance. Divine casters, hellooo!

Seriously! Level adjusts are for morons who don't understand casting, arcane or divine. "Celerity Time Stop Gate Gate Gate lol," amirite?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

(sorry for the D&D dicussion in here guys, but honestly you go to traditional games and it is like no one loving cares, all they do is play threads, with zero loving discussion, and this is kind of related to OOtS, but if you want me to stop I will)

I don't mind this sort of idle, happy and almost totally off topic RPG discussion because I too am a total nerd. Also, I too think that Trad Games is nothing but play by post, which is something I personally disdain, so I'm lovin' this thread as a little place on SA to talk about the point modifiers elves get.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Talkie Toaster posted:

20 pages over six months for something as broad and popular as D&D isn't that impressive. What we really need is for the admins to act on the "Split TG" thread from QCS a while ago, so we can actually have smaller, more focused threads which won't "drop off the board after a few replies".

We're on a rather stupefying 71 pages here, come to think of it. If one pared out all the posts that don't really have anything to do with OoTS but do with D&D, I wonder how many pages we'd have? Enough to shame that Trad Games thread?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Choke Babies Now posted:

So not only does Elan have a nifty new prestige class, but he's now being taught how to not be a total moron about his spells? This can only end well.

It was always weird that his spells sucked anyway. The man's got at least an 18 Charisma, his save DCs are to be respected. Good that it's maybe changing.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Endrite posted:

When I see it spelled "ork" and I don't see any WAAAGH, I get disappointed.

Dunno bout anyone else here but I insist D&D "orcs" spell it with a K and behave appropriately if they want their STR bonus. "Orcs" are little lone-hit-die weiners about a hit point apart from goblins on average, "orks" are tough guys with a lot of brawn if not brains.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Andartus posted:

That was probably around a DC 20-28 Fortitude save. I'd bet on it being in the higher end of that range since Redcloak's a bit of a powergamer. Hinjo's not a high-end paladin, he's probably around level 11. That gives him a fort save of around +13. I'm betting Hinjo isn't well-optimized. He's got a fifty-fifty chance of failing it.

20 maybe, 28? If you say so dude. The idea of a mid level paladin failing a Fort 20 or so save still does not compute for me, but for all I know Hinjo is one of those idiot paladins like you see in official Wizards products who puts his Strength before Charisma. Also I was unaware Disintegrate had the physical energy to reverse Hinjo's jump and plant him back on the boat, but story concerns trump all.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Andartus posted:

Cleric possibility

Alright, alright, I'm just not accustomed to giving NPCs credit for being powerful, though we know Redcloak's on the powergamer side. I use too many modules. And I can't believe I didn't think of the initiative thing, thanks for pointing that out. Excellent subtle D&D humor.

Ashcans posted:

I could never remember all the various modifiers involved on saves and whatnot. I assumed that people were doing research of some sort in their answers. I guess that I'm not really as hip to the DnD groove as I thought.

I'm here making comments about how the comic seems to not adhere to the rules but I try and avoid going so far as to consult books. It's all just a nerdy webcomic after all. I swear that even when I think I've caught an error I don't point it out with joy or malice; I'm just making discussion to pass the time like the rest of us.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

rantmo posted:

That's really the key and why it wouldn't work to make their features Feats for Fighters, it's the skills that separate the Rangers from the Fighters, the stealth and recon aspects in addition to the tracking and killing.

Fo sho. Whenever I'm making a guy who wants to do two weapons I consider a pair of Ranger levels, because any guy with Hide and Move Silently is just that much more fun than a guy without. And if you're actually staying Ranger you can't ignore those spells. Spell Compendium has a bunch of neat swift-action-cast spells that can be thought of like "special moves."

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Werle posted:

Its gonna take the rest of the order a long time to collect all those dragonballs and resurrect Roy anyway.

I was gonna say something about Xykon and Redcloak trying to use them to become immortal but they both sorta are already, so...quiet, you.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

the_steve posted:

The Order of the Stick: Back on the Grid

The Order of the Stick: Elven, All Too Elven

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tag Plastic posted:

Order of the Stick: 5 foot step forward, double move back

I'm behind this one too. In the spirit of things without being some silly, gushing reference to a strip.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Not like you'd get a better use out of a ranger's companion.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

bgaesop posted:

Alternate class feature that replaces Trap Sense, the most worthless of all class features, lets you deal half your SA damage to anyone normally immune to it. I can't remember the name of it, but it's in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft.

The Ravenloft one is only versus undead. Dungeonscape will do what you're thinking of.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

PFlats posted:

If they're vampires, they wouldn't make a very good goon squad for clearing out a city full of private property.

I don't think D&D vampires need to be invited into houses.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Robot Bastard posted:

I'll go the opposite direction; I'm happy to see it get back to jokes, because lots of comics don't survive the transition from "funny" to "serious".

Seconded. I thought this was a great new iteration of the "flumph gets squashed" gag.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well anyway the joke stands. He left a hole in the Cloister so he could cast summoning (calling) (booty) spells.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

NutShellBill posted:

Someone else plays L5R?

Cool beans.

The real question is whether anybody plays L5R without dressing up. Seriously I'd love to play that game but it apparently attracts LARPers like flies to honey.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Amused Frog posted:

I just hope we get some sort of revelation about what the fleet is going to do to survive/if the gang can leave it yet rather than more "we're sailing and there's assassins!" type stuff.

Betcha this swarm of orcs is an unpleasant surprise for Azurites hoping to start a new life on this island. Maybe Hinjo will smooth over some diplomatic error of Elan's, the refugees can settle on the island, and the stars can finally get going.

Also kudos once more to Burlew for detail. Most every one of those orcs looks like a real individual.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

ZorbaTHut posted:

I think even Roy's gotten more airtime, and he's, y'know, dead.

Well, he can fly now.

Sorry.

I call an even 40 strips because I think it'll be soon but for better or worse the strip does take its time doing things these days.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

terminal mehmet posted:

This reminds me of when things were thick on plot and everyone was complaining that they couldn't wait for it to get back to light-hearted one-offs that were only lightly connected to the main plot again.

Hey pal, you got a complaint to lodge or what? Because if you don't I'm afraid you must leave the internet.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nosy_G posted:

I bet that Roy will forget about the Oracle once he is rezzed.

Yeah I can't believe that raised people would be allowed to retain everything they learned. It just doesn't seem to mesh with the restrictions on what ghosts are allowed to do and say to the living. Roy needs to remember some of this, though...maybe his dad will get the info to him somehow.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Roy needs to shut up. All of his characters are much too wordy but the one who can't even interact with the others really has no reason to say so much. Brevity = soul of wit.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Arctic Baldwin posted:

i read it as the way hero boy says it in freakazoid

Me too! V can now be summoned by the call of two castrated sumo wrestlers.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

LightWarden posted:

Speaking of books, anyone picked up War and XPs? Any good bonus comics?

I just got it and the thing that strikes me most is how much more tolerable Haley's ghost angst is. I remember everyone here (myself included) whining and whining about the story dragging during the Azure New Year stuff, but it's really over too soon in book format.

e: VV yeah probably true.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 10, 2009

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

DoctorTristan posted:

That's taken from the greek myth of Tithonus. He was a lover of Eos, who convinced Zeus to grant him immortality, but forgot to ask for eternal youth as well. Eventually he turned into a cicada.

Wasn't there something very similar in Gulliver's Travels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think what some people are saying is that this strip was entertaining, but could have been handled as a one-panel gag in a larger strip where the team discusses their next move.

Roy: OK, team, what have you got?
Others: whatever
Haley: The "rogues" around here are dyslexic and tried to sell me cosmetics.

There, whatever, write a better quick joke about people who misspell "rogue." I don't think this particular joke benefited from being drawn out into a whole strip, unlike, say, that old one with people selling potions below cost. I know this stuff balances out well later in book form, but right now, the strip with Elan and all the DnD dick jokes bought enough goodwill on the nerd humor front; I want to see something go somewhere after so many strips languishing in Azure City. AGAIN.

Yes, there was humor in those strips, but I don't give two shits about Redcloak and I think there was enough to establish his character and relationship with Xykon before this last detour. The strip's got 6 Player Characters on which to lavish attention already.