Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Endrite posted:

Considering he wasn't disintegrated, he probably made his save.

If you take all of the damage and it doesn't kill you you're not disintegrated. It's only if you are killed by the damage, regardless of whether or not you fail your save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Also, the consensus is that it's Crohn's disease, since that fits all of the descriptions he's given of it.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What's that item Xykon is using? I don't recognize it and google isn't helping me.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah, I also could not see a change.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Choke Babies Now posted:

I like this title far too much.

I vote for this as well.

farraday posted:

Having never actually played D&D I'm currently wondering how the gaming dynamic where characters are lost and new ones created will mesh with the needs of a storyline where such an event might not make a lot of sense

You mean how would it work in a game? When players' characters die they just roll up a new character and the DM figures out how to introduce the new character into the campaign. This might be by having them control an NPC that they had been working with, or they might meet them along the path of their adventure, or they might just happen to meet them at the next tavern they stop in and join up together for no reason.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mushrooman posted:

I'm sorry if it was already brought up, but what game is this?

Warlords the CCG. Fairly good game, but losing popularity rapidly. It also suffers from having too many expansions making it too complicated (kind of like DnD!) but this is one of the first cards ever made for it.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

rantmo posted:

I miss Warlords, it's a fun game but I never played after the first expansion. I actually have a card that's me, I know two of the three creators, so it's always been near and dear to me. I've never played the actual RPG though, I wonder if it's any good.

Whoah, like an official card or a custom card? They let you submit your own designs at one point, was it that deal? My friend got one published, but they changed it slightly:

It was originally called Rod and Tod.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

rantmo posted:

An official one; Murgan. He was based on an old Changeling character I used to play, a redcap named Jack Morgan who was a warlord in a past live called "The Murgan". There's no picture at the link, but here's the card image:

That is completely awesome. About the picture, though, that's why I was using the Temple of Lore:

The Temple of Lore is a fansite that is so good it got made into its own card:

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vanadium posted:

There is also the various barrable wizard schools and dozens of prestige classes with their own spelllike abilities, and druids who do not need to worship a concrete deity to cast divine spells, and psionics, and probably a bunch of gimmicks I am not even aware of that also have access to different sets of spells. For all my atheist character would know, clerics just tap into yet another non-sentient extraplanar energy source that just happens to manifest itself through other spells than arcane magic. :)

Not to mention that you can be an atheist cleric. I did that in a Ravenloft campaign. I can't remember the name of it, but there's a whole church based around the idea that the Gods aren't real and that anyone can do what those so-called "faithful" can, and since Belief Makes Right, they actually can do it. It's pretty awesome, especially since there was a cleric of the Morninglord in the party.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
And that logic works perfectly for the Forgotten Realms, but remember that the Realms are hardly the only DnD world. Proving to your average Ravenlofter or home-brewed campaigner that the Gods exist could be much more difficult.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vicissitude posted:

Potions of Grave Strike, my friend. Allows you to sneak attack undead.

Alternate class feature that replaces Trap Sense, the most worthless of all class features, lets you deal half your SA damage to anyone normally immune to it. I can't remember the name of it, but it's in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I am really starting to like those two love-birds.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Not to mention that Burlew is doing the exact same thing.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I am so torn. On the one hand, it is awesome that Achewood is getting more recognition. On the other hand, Erfworld is among the stupidest pieces of poo poo I've ever had the misfortune to read.

Reading Time's description doesn't even begin to make me understand this. I... I just...

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Shavnir posted:

Not with https://www.d20srd.org it isn't! :)

or to be even more specific

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

NutShellBill posted:

Moreso, there's at least a dozen ways for your character to continue adventuring after they bite the big one, be it prestige classes or templates. The book of Vile Darkness and the book of Exalted Deeds are especially bad for this.

Not to mention Ghostwalk

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

gothfae posted:

I had a basic program once that generated an entire miscibility chart. I was bored.

I wrote a program for my TI-83+ that would roll up a complete character sheet for any class and level, skill points, ability scores, number of feats, and spells per day.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I love Goblins, and while the goblins aren't classical looking I certainly don't think they look bad. I don't find the plots hard to follow at all, just do what I do and check every month or two for updates.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

green leaf salad posted:

It would be totally unsustainable. Not enough people care!

This is a good thing.

And in interesting news, Yet Another Fantasy Gamer Comic is as good and entertaining as ever, and the most recent storyline is doing a good job of showing the author's willingness to kill of main characters. Maybe not as much as Goblins, but this one comes back as a zombie!

bgaesop fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 26, 2008

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kahrytes posted:

In other words, isn't speak with dead a fairly low level spell? Why can't anybody cast that?

Speak With Dead doesn't actually let you talk to the dead person's ghost, it lets you ask their corpse questions that it could answer with the knowledge it had while alive.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I cannot get over how much Erfworld sucks

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Complaining about the nerdiness in the OOTS thread is kind of ridiculous, but please, that comic is so painfully unfunny

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DoctorTristan posted:

I haven't really been following the 4ed developments since I gave up on PnP a while ago, but the comments I've heard seem to say that you have no chance at higher levels unless you're some variety of magic user.

This is pretty much the complete opposite of true and in fact is how 3e is and one of the major points of 4e is changing that, so basically if you don't know what you're talking about please don't talk

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jonked posted:

:nyd:

But seriously, check out the D&D 4e thread in Traditional Games, we've been getting a few juicy bits of information about the new version. Your friend was probably confusing 'Exploits' - special things fighters can do, like knock somebody around with their shield - with Spells, special things wizards can do, like knock someone around with Bigby's Overly Friendly Hand.

I'm probably the most prolific poster in that thread and know considerably more about 4e than anyone else in there since I'm actually following the updates outside of that thread, and I don't know which friend you're talking about but I do know I'm completely right about this so I'm not sure what your point is?

edit: Oh wait you were probably talking to the guy I quoted, but I'm going to leave this here to show off what an insufferable jackass I am!

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cabbit posted:

Think of it this way: when a police officer shoots somebody in the line of duty, in order to save a life, is he committing a crime? If a murderer gets put to death by the state, are they committing a crime? Say a criminal's assets are stolen, and put up for sale at a police auction-- is that a crime?

The definition of a crime is "forbidden by the state." Following this logic, the definition of an evil act in D&D would be "Paladins don't do it."

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cabbit posted:

The definition of "a non-Lawful Good act" can certainly be "Something a Paladin won't do", I would think.

No, you've got to have it the other way around. The definition of "something a Paladin won't do" can be "a non-LG act" but if you've got it the other way around then you could have Joe Jackass the Paladin who enjoys torturing babies, and since a paladin is doing it it isn't an evil act. See what I mean?

quote:

The difference here is that in my comparison, I was going for more of a "Paladins are police" thing than a "Paladins are state and national lawmakers" thing.

That still doesn't particularly work, because police can break the law without repercussions the vast majority of the time. So by your logic, being that Paladins are agents of capital G Good, they can do all the evil acts they want and get away with them.

quote:

Any git with a sword and divine power can club a heretic and call it a crusade. A Paladin does it with grace and humility. That's the point.

I completely disagree. The "jackass Paladin who cares only for himself/his order/his church but is convinced he's doing Good, and his deity agrees" is a strong archetype for a reason. In 4e Paladins can only be the same alignment as their deity, whatever that deity's alignment is. To me, that makes a lot more sense. The definition of "Paladin" is "Holy Warrior," not "LG guy who follows a strict code of honor that does not vary from individual to individual."

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Wind Tempest posted:

I see Captain America as a Kensai rather than a Paladin. Still bound to a personal oath, but not religiously bound.

If we're going by RAW, there's nothing saying Paladins actually have to follow a deity.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
And here it is for when it goes down:

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
In my campaign there are no half-orcs because the different races physically can't breed with each other, but there are good orcs that the PCs can play as so perhaps the solution is to be more open-minded in your fantasy gaming???

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

xenosauridae posted:

Actually, there is. Bards, sorcerors, druids and barbarians come out next year in a different handbook because WotC are total cunts.

Or because they couldn't get them to work in time for the first PHB so they are waiting until they're good instead of releasing a halfassed version like they did in 3rd edition

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The big point of having certain spells be rituals instead of regular spells is so that anyone can cast them. Now the Ranger can use Animal Companion if he wants to, the Rogue can use Knock, etc.

So basically what SlimGoodbody said.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cog05 posted:

Guys, clearly Belkar was using a 4th Edition power when he stabbed the oracle.

The oracle was a minion, only 1 hp.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SlimGoodbody posted:

edit: Ha! I love that they have an umber hulk skeleton in the backround. Aren't those things insects? Would they even have bones?

I'm quite certain there was an adventure I saw that had an illustration that included an undead Umber Hulk (exo)skeleton.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cabbit posted:

Maybe you shouldn't read a comic about stick figures and D&D cliches for cutting edge, envelope-pushing humor?

I read it for D&D jokes, and these aren't them. These aren't funny, all they do is detract from the D&D humour.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

tuluk posted:

new strip up

Gender role reversals continue.

This is the worst "new strip is up" post imaginable.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mylan posted:

It could be a ghost-touch blade too, though that's, for the most part, a pretty lovely ability for a rogue's weapon. Most incoporeal creatures are some kind of undead, which are immune to sneak attacks anyways.
Unless you take one of the dozens of ways to hit them anyways. There's at least one weapon that does it, as well as two alternate class features.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Commissar posted:

What is this goblin thing?

Goblins: Life Through Their Eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Considering that the entire reason anything tastes sour is because it has acid in it, yeah, you're right, Slim. In fact, spinach is bitter: bitter things are bitter because they have bases in them!

Gumby, you are as wrong as it is possible to be!