Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Fuego Fish posted:

:siren: NEW STRIP IS UP :siren:

Oh, Roy :shobon:

I dunno about you, but I am even more convinced that Xykon is a genius of the highest order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Spaceship Zero posted:

You think he's just faking not knowing Roy just to keep him pissed off and reckless?

I don't think he's faking, but he still knows that it pisses Roy off to no end.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Sock posted:

Redcloak's going to return it to the store and get his money back after getting use out of it. Because he's evil.

Is he going to return it...without a receipt?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

farraday posted:

I hope guy-I-let-out-of-prison-to-fight doesn't die.

Seconded, he is rather amusing.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

greatn posted:

Given the things Xykon has at his siposal, what in the world could the shadowy monster actually be? Virtually the only thing bigger than anything he's used so far that I can think of would be the Tarrasque, but the creature is way too small to be the tarrasque.

That and way too smart. The tarraque is just a mindless engine of destruction. It wouldn't be taking poo poo from Xykon or Redcloak.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0433.html

:siren: New strip is up :siren:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

farraday posted:

Poor Belkar, standing there, unable to mayhem.

Seriously, you'd think the whole "We needs all the help we can get" mindset might have given one the foresight to whip up a quick Dispel or whatever it takes to get that Mark off of him.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Leikr Elferston posted:

Don't worry, there'll be plenty of undead to go around.

Goose
Goose
Goose
Goose
Geese

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Heresiarch posted:

I was kinda right but not really. Plot device, yes; magical artifact of awesome power, no.

It DOES retain alignment, or something though.
Remember, Roy kept coming up as Evil on a Detect Evil check because he was wearing it.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I think I wanna buy this as an avatar for myself, if I can come up with something clever underneath.

Or an animated one of his "Badass, Really Badass" scene.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Daneaxe posted:

Hey, new strip's up.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0435.html

This I wasn't expecting, and I think a lot of theories just went down the drain.

Woohoo, Belkar is back in action!

Plus, that will probably convince Hinjo to reduce the jail sentence back to being off the hook.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

404GoonNotFound posted:

:frogsiren: NEW STRIP IS UP :frogsiren:

And another dangling plot thread bites the dust.

It's like he reads our thoughts. :tinfoil:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Factor_VIII posted:

I think that trying to apply Freudian theories to this strip is a bit much. My interpretation was that one of these fiends is the equivalent of a devil, thinking things in an ordered manner and devising plans that will enable Belkar to maximize the amount of creatures he slaughters on the long-term, while the other is the equivalent of a demon, wanting to simply randomly kill things with no regard for even short-term consequences. And, as that strip showed, a Slaad would simply be completely incapable of forming an argument and thus be useless in such a discussion, which is why I think it didn't come out.

I just figured it was Lawful Evil vs. Chaotic Evil. Both sides are cool with Belkar letting Hinjo die, it's just a matter of their preference on when.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

High Altitude Hair Stylist posted:

I think I once gave Sean Howard of "A Modest Destiny" an aneurysm on his message board. Of course, everyone who disagreed with him on his message board gave him an aneurysm.

Oh? Do tell.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ununnilium posted:

He's pretty anyeuristic. I pretty much stopped reading the comic when the blog rants below became nothing but bitching about other people in webcomics.

Honestly, I like the comic, but isn't the creator also the guy who swore Penny Arcade was out to get him or some poo poo?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

tsob posted:

Why were Durkon and Haley so upset about Roy's death? Is there some reason they can't just rez him like nothing happened later?

I think somehow, despite the gold they've come into, the Order isn't that wealthy.
I remember back when Belkar escaped from his prison cell and tried to provoke Miko into killing him, because he figured Durkon could just bring him back, and V pointed out that they didn't have the 5k in material components to do that.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0286.html

Ok, they just don't have 5k worth of diamonds, close enough.
I suppose, realistically speaking, you wouldn't expect any NPC merchant to have that much on hand.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I decided it was time for a new avatar, today's comic presented me with the motivation to make it happen.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

farraday posted:

Xykon you magnificent bastard.

Seconding this.
Sweet zombie Buddha that was twisted.

Xykon is the greatest badguy in the history of badguys.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Bobulus posted:

I think the last name 'Starshine' gives some weight to the not-totally-human theory. That sounds to me like a name you give to....not a family of thieves, at the very least.

I'm not sure if it's okay to discuss content exclusive to the books, but this is pretty minor, so I'm going to ask it: I just purchased the first book, Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, and on one of the back pages, he gives hints for future storylines. Since this was written back in 2005, most of the stories have already been broached (Roy's sister, Haley's father, the gates, the introduction of a paladin, a romance subplot). There's one future storyline in his list that I can't recall ever being seen in the strip: "Vaarsuvis' family". Come to think of it, V has had the least character development of any of the OotSers. Did I miss a strip somewhere? Has he just not gotten to it? Is this stuff in one of the other books?

I think V mentioned having a husband once, waaaay back before they met Miko, but after they had destroyed the first gate.

Edit: Ok, wrong on two parts, it was while they were with Miko, and V only says "mate", not an actual gender specific term
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0223.html

Cowcaster posted:

V mentioned being married. No gender was mentioned, deliberately.

Yeah, I noticed that when I looked for the link.

the_steve fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 12, 2007

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Bobulus posted:

Rereading some of the old strips, I'm surprised Haley reacts so much to a Detect Evil spell.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0202.html

Almost as if she's worried that it will detect something she doesn't want known. But she doesn't seem evil, and doesn't register evil, so I'm not sure what it means.

I think it's because she hated Miko from the start. Elan looks confused and V also looks annoyed, though you could attribute that to the filth.

Either way, keep in mind that Miko was one good attack away from killing Roy just a few minutes ago, and isn't entirely sure what's going on at the moment. Durkon is the only one who thinks he has a grasp on the situation.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0467.html

New strip is up.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

FMguru posted:

Where'd Belkar's flaming, cringing skull go?

Haley probably made him throw it away before he had the chance to realize he could use it on them.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Choke Babies Now posted:

Can we all just agree that this is Burlew's fault for not giving us our Friday update?

Rabble rabble rabble.

Rabble rabble rabble indeed.

I dunno if this makes me a bad person, but I liked today's erfworld.
Even if they're all round and cutesified, dragons lunging from treetops and eating people is fine and dandy in my book.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, I'm sure Stanley's ability to make dragons swarm around and threaten to toast Parson was due to the Arkenhammer. In fact, for all we know, Gobwin Knob may not even produce dragons; he may only have them because of the Arkhenhammer.

(Or, if the "game" is anything like many other games of its type, like Heroes of Might and Magic, his town would only be producing one colour of dragon if it produced them at all. I'll bet him having several colours of dragon is due to the Arkenhammer.)

That seems likely.
I don't think I've seen any dragons at all on Ansom's side, and it's been noted that he hasn't been able to use his Arkenpliers for anything more complex than swinging around, so it would make sense for the Arkenhammer to be tied to the dragon control, since Stanley CAN use his hammer

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

This is why Belkar can't have nice things :colbert:

Poor Skullsy, I miss him.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Miko was equal to a little bit higher, and wiped the floor with Hinjo even after she'd fallen.

Take into account that Hinjo was most likely attempting to deal non-lethal damage, which meant that he was fighting with a penalty to his attack the whole time.
I don't recall him using too many of his spells either, not that he would have had very many, but surely he could have used a few that would have helped him compensate for the attack penalty.

the_steve fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 6, 2007

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Two things, as I've kinda been out of it lately:

1. Someone said that after the Azure City storyline, the strip goes on hiatus for a month. When did we find that out, and what gives?

2. Probably related to 1, but someone else mentioned Burlew was having health problems, thus the randomness and lateness of the updates. Anyone know what's going on?

1. I would assume 7-7-07, since that's when the news post was made saying that he'd be taking the time off.

Rich Burlew posted:

For more than two years, I�ve been experiencing a medical condition that often leaves me unable to work (or even sit at the computer) for 2-3 days at a time, and the symptoms tend to come and go in clumps. I�ll be fine for a few weeks, then have a few really bad weeks where I struggle to get any work done. This is part of the reason I never can manage to create a �buffer� of strips in advance: I spend all of my working time catching up on stuff I was supposed to finish while I was sick. (No, I�m not going to tell you exactly what is wrong with me; it�s nobody�s business. Suffice to say that it is nonfatal and my significant other takes good care of me.)

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0482.html

:siren:New strip is up :siren:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Women's Rights? posted:

Did he mess up the speech bubbles in Panel 4?

It looks like it. Hinjo should be the one saying *sigh*

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I always heard Xykon as the Grim Reaper from the LoservilleX cartoons.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I'm sure Roy and Miko will meet in the afterlife, but I don't think it's going to lead to hooking up.
It'll probably be a wordy apology from Miko, after finally having gotten it through her head why she was wrong.

Also, I'm assuming he'd meet up with his dead dad.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Jeet posted:

Voted that this thread carries on for now but a new one is started for the "new series".

A great end to the storyline with that sort of "midway" feel that you get from the end of Empire Strikes back.

The Order of the Stick: Back on the Grid

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I bet Roy and Miko never even notice each other, just because everyone assumes that they're going to meet up.

They'll probably walk past each other while deep in thought and ignore each other.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Quarex posted:

It has been entirely too long since we got a random "make fun of standard D&D campaigns" joke!

How many more of Roy's family members are going to show up? So many generations are potentially able to pop up and offer sage advice!

Roy's granddad is the newest addition to my favorite characters list.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

gothfae posted:

I think the telling point is that it never once occurred to him that the others might have failed and be dead too, much less that he wasn't getting raised.

Isn't Durkon LG too though?
I know the others are Chaotic and/or Not Good, but Durkon seemed to be of the Lawful Good persuasion to me.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Appalitch posted:

Another possiblity to consider is that they have already treid to summon him repeatadly, but they have been unable to do so. Keep in mind, Roy is in a land where he gets to meet his mother, granfater, and long lost brother for the first time in years. He is peaceful, content, around people who care about him. What if he subliminally doesn't want to be brought back, and thus their attempts have been unsuccesful?

I get the feeling that the rez attempt won't be so subtle.
It'll be something like a bellhop showing up to Roy and saying he has a Resurrection request.

Or, he'll get to some receptionist desk and the person behind it will give Roy a list of missed calls and messages for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Quick question: Is V's gender still supposed to be an ambiguous running joke? Because it looks like Rich may have let it slip in the last panel.