Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

tsob posted:

That implies going through a lot of effort to sign up, and I don't think I care that much. Besides, it was already answered.

I don't know if this was the answer you got, but in the FAQ he specifically states that reference is where he got his name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

tsob posted:

Hmmm...must have been thinking of something else so in that case. Either way, the werle it was meant as a joke, not as a serious suggestion which I was demanding the author take or I'd hunt him down and egg him or something.

Also, Elan playing a lute makes a lot more sense. I was gonna go with that, but what with him revering Banjo, I went with that instead.

No man he's called Banjo because HE plays the banjo, duh :rolleyes:

edit: The comic in question

RickoniX fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 10, 2007

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

ZorbaTHut posted:

I'm enjoying it a bit. It's sufficiently entertaining that I continue to read it. I hope the plot gets on track a bit more, right now I don't feel much connection to any character in any way, but I'm still giving it a chance.

There's also a few clever subtleties that seem to be intentional. For one thing, the parts of the Real World that we've seen has a very different coloring style from the fantasy world. But the thing that truly intruiges me: The Arkenhammer is 3d rendered.

No, seriously. Look at it. (Even in the background.) It's not like it would be complicated to draw - the guy probably spends more effort posing and 3d-rendering it than he would to just draw the fucker. And nothing else has ever been 3d-rendered. What does it mean? I have no idea, but I suspect it will have plot significance.

What the hell, was that always like that? I swear it used to be drawn regularly.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Robot Bastard posted:

The problem that I have with Erfworld is that it's all over the place. Is this supposed to be a cute superdeformed RPG world? Is this supposed to be a grim exploration of war in a fantasy setting? Is this supposed to be a self-insertion fanfic? Is this supposed to be a parody of computer-RPG cliches? Pick one.

Oh, and O RLY? Oh :rolleyes:.

It's not self insertion, the guy who writes Hamstard is someone completely different from Rob Balder (unless Hamstard is just some really weird meta joke comic made to supplement Erfworld).

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

NutShellBill posted:

4) No V + plus freefalling = splat. More specifically, no feather fall. I think there are a few reasons that V is away from the batlle, and the biggest one is the resulting plot hole from watching Roy plummet to his death. There's also the idea that Xykon will get pissed off enough at Roy to do something that you can't get raised from. With V not there to see what happened, Roy could be shipped off to another dimension, or disintegrated, and OoTS might not know how to get him back.

The most damage you can ever take by falling in D&D is something like 120, and that is with 20 6s on d6 dice (minimum 20, average 60), and if Roy makes a DC 15 jump check (with a +20 Ring of Jumping) he negates the first d6 and turns a second d6 into nonlethal. (I know that is a lot of rules for an offhand comment, but the way Burlew makes fun of the rules I do not think he would kill someone with falling)

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Leikr Elferston posted:

I'm not fixating on the rules, but the power these guys has makes a lot of the plot seem arbitary. For instance, who cares if they die? They can come back. Why can the lich blast his way through a dungeon full of angels and yet has to sneak a flanking manuver to take out a castle full of normal humans? What is that super-mega tough shadowy monster even for if they already vastly out-gun their enemies?

I'd be saying the same things in a comc with a bunch of superhumans doing similarly inconsistant poo poo.

Yeah that's Dungeons & Dragons for you.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Soylentbits posted:

The only thing I never really understood about Roy's sword is why the weaponsmith thought it was a good idea to remove its undead smiting abilities. Did he just dislike the combination of magic and weapons? Was he mayhap insinuating a better time when weapons were just finely crafted pieces of metal and you had to walk fifteen miles in the snow to get to a decent anvil?

She thought it might have been a gift for his mummy.

(That was Burlew's answer when asked)

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Robot Bastard posted:

Heh. Is that an intentional reference to one of Peter Jackson's many mistakes, or is it just a coincidence?

Wait if you're talking about the "mistake" I think you are talking about, that was intentional (and could not have been a mistake considering all the Uruk Hai are completely CGI)

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

MikeJF posted:

Is Burlew developing a thing for sonic damage?

This is exactly the second time anything has dealt or taken sonic damage? :confused:

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

BlueArmyMan posted:

Now all I get is an image of Miko slapping the poo poo out of Xykon, and it amuses me greatly.

I don't think Miko is a level 4 monk though, so I don't think she is capable of damaging either Xykon or any of the ghost martyrs.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

clockworkjoe posted:

Well, since when the first gate was destroyed, it resulted in a massive explosion, I think we can say goodbye to to the castle and possibly the entire city as well. Oh and the hobgoblin army as well since redcloak led them to it.

The first gate was actually destroyed as a result of the explosion of the castle, triggered by a self destruct rune, the forest gate was destroyed by a large fire, the gates don't seem to do anything corporally apparent when they are destroyed.

Zoolooman posted:

Ferrinus, stop making this harder than it has to be. Just look at Miko. If you think she's evil, she's evil. She's an insane king-slaying antagonist who attacks and attempts to kill lawful good paladins while they're doing lawful good things. She's evil man. She was LG for a while, but she went evil.

Just apply the alignment tags where they seem fitting. Don't overthink it, or you'll find yourself claiming that Belkar is True Neutral because he follows the law sometimes and hasn't managed to do anything technically evil, even though he tries over and over again.

Belkar has murdered dozens of innocents just on panel, and probably hundreds more before he joined the OoTS, alignment isn't some numerical scale on which you can move up and down freely, but a measure of intent and psychology, just because a psychopath who would burn the world to cinders if he were free is locked up, does not make him any less evil.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
edit: quote is not edit :(

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

greatn posted:

I don't remember any gate ever being destroyed in a forest fire. When was this? Also how many gates are there? Only 4, right?

The other gate was revealed to have been destroyed here, there are (were) six gates.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Zoolooman posted:

This is the best tea party ever!

Well apparently gates DO explode when they are destroyed :monocle:

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

ConfusedUs posted:

Uh, yes it does.

What if the ground is magical but not blunt?

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

ConfusedUs posted:

Is magical part of its sub-type (such as magical beast) or does it strike as a magic weapon? If the former, no. If the latter, yes.

What if I swing a lich at an animated +1 club, who takes damage?

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Aimbot posted:

You know, she's not half bad. :v:

Oh come on, this isn't the time to beat a dead horse

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

sakesniper posted:

Next strip: she finds Roy's corpse, begins the zombie ritual, and then a corpse we couldn't see because Roy was in the way rises up instead!

Haha owned Burlew, now you're completely out of options, you can't zombify Roy and you can't do a fake out again because both have now been predicted. Lets see you change the story now!

Oh god why would you do this, now Roy's gone forever :(

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
V at least is Level 13

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

KOraithER posted:

I'm getting the impression that the new Erfworld is trying to reference GameFAQS, but I don't get what they're trying to say.

Is that a Q? I thought it was a G.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Casao posted:

I'm more curious how much he'll actually get. This is all pledges at the moment, remember. I cannot imagine that 100% of people will come through with 100% of their pledge, since people are usually pretty bad with money.

It's done through amazon payments putting a hold on cards, so the money is there

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Casao posted:

It doesn't put a hold on cards in any way, shape or form, FYI. It's an authorization from you to Amazon to withdraw the funds sometime in that range. It doesn't touch your bank account until the day the Kickstarter ends.

Oh my mistake v:shobon:v

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Wili posted:

I see it coming into play at the very endgame. Team Evil has been defeated at Kragoor's Gate, Redcloack has been killed by a not so controlled Xykon, and the OotS pursue the lich into his last stronghold.

Redcloak is going to get eaten by the monster in the dark, it's too big of a Chekhov's gun at this point

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Colon V posted:

With luck, it will either happen very near, or AS the MitD's Heel Face Turn thanks to Mr. Stiffly O-Chul's influence.

sod spoilers

Xykon put a magical suggestion on the monster in the dark to eat Redcloak and spit out his amulet if Redcloak ever turned on him

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Zore posted:

We already have Goblins and Hobgoblins pretty different from straight Monster Manual ones. Redcloak would be ancient or dead of old age and Belkar's size, for instance, if we were using generic Goblins.

His cloak gives him a super long lifespan, his brother was an old man at the end of start of darkness

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Tinyn posted:

Sure, some. There's always some of anything. But the majority of the existing audience is just pre-ordering via kickstarter. I'ld bet non-kickstarter sales for the first year is less than 20% of kickstarter sales.

Don't forget the Kickstarter also allows him to put those books back into gaming stores and such

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

terminal mehmet posted:

Burlew is gonna have to look out for Garth Ennis: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1427653332/erf

How is he going to write a children's book about a lapsed catholic irish immigrant punching superheroes?

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

MildShow posted:

Xykon wasn't destroyed by the gate, though. He was destroyed by the protections that Dorukan put on it that allowed only those "pure of heart" to touch/activate it.

Xykon died very specifically from the gate, rather than the snarl; Dorukan's gate was just enchanted to destroy anything non-good aligned that touched it

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

NihilCredo posted:

Could a Scotsman check if in their accent "weendy" and "whindy" sound anywhere close? :v:

Also, to riff on the strip title, has anyone here read The Name of the Wind? I've heard good things about it, though I can't remember where.

Didn't thunt go on about it at length several times?

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Niton posted:

Man, I know it's buyer's choice and all, but you'd really have to try to think of a worse trio of choices with all of the interesting characters in the OOTS-verse.

At least Belkar's will be interesting, maybe.

Therkla's is an interesting concept at least, the Cliffport Cops is just Rich picking something specific from a vague request; I honestly think Belkar is the worst choice for that because he's a main character and we get lots of Belkar anyway, someone like Fyron or Gortok or that Druid from Cliffport would have been better I think

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Cuchulain posted:

So I had forgotten where the demon roaches come from, and reading through the archives, apparently the MitD attracts them naturally. I really wish we knew what the gently caress that thing is.

They are attracted to Xykon because (sod spoilers) He ate a bunch of hellfood at an evil diner

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Geshtal posted:

Ho-lee poo poo. Wild rear end speculation ahoy:

- If Girard was in some way part dragon, AND
- If he's related to Haley's dad, and thus Haley, AND
- If Haley knows about the first two, THEN

It could explain Haley's deep secret. The one that was never revealed back when she lost the ability to speak. The one that was phrased to sound like she was about to confess to being "not exactly what you would call” human.

Waaaaaaay back here.

Haley did claim to be half-dragon once, even if it was in jest

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

SuperKlaus posted:

Bless Burlew for pointing out that a character, being a character and not some sort of exposition robot, might say things in strange, incorrect, or incomplete ways when he explained Familicide. Write that down, everyone, and memorize it, and spread it around the drat Internet.

e: really did you see that OoTS rip comic posted a couple pages back? The comic on display that day was seriously just the mage character giving a precise point by point overview of the Phantom Steed spell. For like fifteen panels or something. No punchline whatsoever. It was like a lecture or a really lazy ad. Do people really expect V to behave like that?

Thunt does this every third page and it's hilariously dumb

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

CapnAndy posted:

All Redcloak wants is a fair distribution of resources; land for the Goblin people that isn't completely worthless and some diplomatic recognition, so that they can be an actual nation instead of pillagers and bandits on the fringes of society. He's already got it.

Gobbotopia seems like a solid "Plan B" but the majority of nations seem to still view them as usurping monsters

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Bobulus posted:

Yeah, it's clear at some point that the elves and the remainders of Azure City will attempt to retake it at some point. So it's not perfect. The fact that they got other countries to recognize it as a sovereign nations is pretty impressive, though.

But at the end of the day the righteous humans and elves and dwarves will push them back into dustlands and they'll have nothing again

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
I was thinking, would anything be funnier if this entire setup was a ruse and his family wasn't in on it? He created an epic ilusion of a gate and told his sons to protect it, so they created an insular clan of sorceror's kidnapping and casting high level magic on a temple where their "father's" body lay when in fact he's on the other side of the continent by himself

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Nenonen posted:

Aaactually, I think it's pretty high. I doubt that in the heat of combat they have "foresight"...

My question is, what are the chances of multiple heroes/antagonists ending up in the same pit with Varsuvius???
or literally everyone ending up in there like a bad sitcom episode

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
Well that certainly answers the question about Tarquin's level

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Shugojin posted:

It WILL answer, at least in relation to Durkon's level. He seems to be affected, so he is at most equal.

Also, Sabine gets banished unless Rich feels like will saving that away. :byewhore:

Well he's got the same effect as the others so presumably he is affected (also Qarr just happens to not be in the room, so Sabine is reasonably likely to get banished.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

DoctorTristan posted:

Aren't mummies 8HD? So unless Durkon made it to level 18 without us noticing they're still around.

They're almost certainly blinded and deafened though