Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I have no idea why it took me so long to realize why they're called the Order of the Stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

The spoiler thing. It also explains the Linear Guild.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

the_steve posted:

Behold! Banjo the Clown! God of Puppets!

More edit: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0080.html
That's the comic I got the image from, in case anyone feels like outdoing me.

I really like the star background from the original comic. See if you can crop that, then take it to the GIF thread so someone can maybe do something with the puppet or the star's borders.

Edit: Oh, I guess I missed your last post. Um.... see if someone else will crop the star for you.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

green leaf salad posted:

They all sound Hades from the Disney version of Hercules to me. Personally I think that's perfect for Xykon. :shobon:

Basically it depends on how fast they talk.

When are we going to get to the invasion already?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Elan's also got those new Swashbuckler type skills. Haley will probably do better now that she can communicate, maybe.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

clockworkjoe posted:

You know, maybe Miko dies in the near future and becomes some kind of undead obsessed with getting revenge on the OOTS. She has the rage.

Like a Revenant? I'm not good with DnD stuff, but the concept is probably the same as in WoW. It'd actually be pretty cool to set her up as a becoming a Blackguard, which I assume is an Earth-3 Paladin, and then have her die with the whole arc capped off by her sudden reappearance as a pissed off zombie/ghost thing.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Leikr Elferston posted:

You mean a death knight. Where do you think blizzard got that idea from?

But Death Knights are enslaved to the Lich King's will while Revenants are wholly separate from the Scourge, and daemonic necromancy too for that matter. Which is important to take into consideration if Miko is animated by her own sheer rage for the OotS and not Xykon's doing.

And now we're discussing the finer points of another game entirely. WACKY!

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

tsob posted:

:siren: New strip is up! :siren:

Not much to say really, it just moves the story along a bit. I am stuck with the strangely compelling image of Elan whistling as he swims in a pool filled with hobgoblins now though, and I don't think it'll leave soon.

I guess I didn't pick up on it earlier, but Belkar is going back to prison now that Hinjo overheard Roy & the dead guy talking about the ruse. Him and Miko alone while the rest of city fights off a hobgoblin hoard, an evil mage, a lich, and something under an umbrella. Belkar and Miko, alone together.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Doodles posted:

Imagine the erotic fan fiction! :suicide:

I am! :flashfap:

No wait, I'm thinking that a strip or two will be spent seeing Miko pissed off about being in jail with Belkar egging her on. One or both might escape, they could fight, or Miko could try some cockamamie last ditch Atonement.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

purkey posted:

Ha, that really would make her Parallax.

A white lock of hair would make her one sexy little stick figure.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Because the D&D world is a bit low-tech, it tends to be somewhat near the lich, along the lines of "within the same kingdom where the lich currently resides." But that's really just narrative convenience.

I know nothing of the game, but if I had to guess I'd say they based the idea of the phylactery on Koschei the Immortal. An evil wizard from Russian folklore, he hid his soul "inside a needle, which is in an egg, which is in a duck, which is in a hare, which is in an iron chest, which is buried under a green oak tree, which is on the island of Buyan, in the ocean." As long as the needle is okay, he can regenerate.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

Why bother putting it in all of those animals if you're going to stick it in an iron chest and bury it :doom:

'Cause if you open the chest, the rabbit will run away. AND, if you happen to catch the bunny, and are heartless enough to hack it open, the duck will loving fly! Back before shotguns and Dick Cheneys, this was a big deal.

I wonder if Roy and the gang even know Xykon has a phylactery. It didn't occur to them last time, but I don't recall them being too surprised to hear that he's back. You'd think the elf would know.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

:insertsmiliehere: New Strip is Up! :insertsmiliehere:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

On Erfworld: It seems to me he was aiming for subtext that would be present but not intrusive on the story. But he went too heavy and now it's creepy & crappy. To be fair, subtlety is a tricky thing and he only screwed up a bit, but a little goes a long way.

That said, it also totally sucks for a different reason, that being that we have no clue what's going on or why it matters.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Anyone know what those rainbow amulets are? They appear to have split Xykon into (at least) 3 bodies, each of which has a different emotional state.
Green for willpower, of course.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I wonder if Bluecloak will ever get a callback. That strip may as well be called "Callback City - Population: Oh You'll See."

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Backdoor Blanche posted:

Wait, this same guy is the Bruno the Bandit guy? No wonder I hate him, he's an unfunny jackass who ruined Sluggy Freelance.

Pete Abrams?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

It's more like the "mention alignment in passing" point of the thread.

So can Haley stop Xykon at this point in time or is everyone going to run like hell to the throne room? Maybe Roy can trigger his sword and down the dragon, but that'd be a little too quick.

Edit: I say Haley because she's the only one there with ranged capabilities. Maybe the blind seer has some magic though, who know?

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 22, 2007

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

the_steve posted:

I just figured it was Lawful Evil vs. Chaotic Evil. Both sides are cool with Belkar letting Hinjo die, it's just a matter of their preference on when.

That would make him Neutral Evil though, right?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Heresiarch posted:

It really helped if you imagined him with the voice of Murray the Skull from Curse of Monkey Island. It made him fit in almost perfectly, since the character roles are basically identical (re: saying "I will stride through the gates of Hell with your head on a pike" in a comedy videogame).

Stride?

I wish Xykon would get a little more animated with his speech patterns, because Murray had the greatest skeleton voice you could ask for but it just doesn't match Xykon. I imagine him talking like MST3K's Joel.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Awhile back I was talking about lichs using my knowledge of Warcraft, but I was laughed out of the thread. So then I boned (hah) up so here goes.

Isn't an Archlich usually just a skull or arm or something? 'Cause they've been around so loving long and become so disconnected with the material world that's all they need? Not that it matters, I'm just curious. (Not about how one could be the son of a lich though, eww.)

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Heresiarch posted:

Which is to say, Nale's dad is the evil warlord holding Haley's dad hostage, which is going to make for some really interesting moments later on. Nothing strains a burgeoning relationshing like discovering that your prospective father-in-law is the guy who's been holding your dad hostage for 200,000 gold all this time.

The only thing worse is getting cockblocked by your evil dad who you've never met but has apparently ruined your girlfriend's life.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Fuego Fish posted:

Archlich Roy :toot:

That way he can become a spellcaster like dad wants!

I think he'll have to do this. I mean, you can't be a Death Knight if your sword regularly emits energy whose sole effect is weakening you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

BAWRLIN posted:

I don't think it will be as easy as cast->deep breath->back to the adventure, but there is no way Roy is perma-dead.

Between the second half of the battle, the exposition filled night, and the actual raising, it could still be awhile before we see Roy again. Assuming we do at all.