Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MatrixSchmatrix
Jul 1, 2006

tsob posted:

I watched a load of season 4 of Babylon 5 today after I went home from work and was just wondering...in one episode (6 I think) Sheridan refers to the Vorlons and Shadows as "Giants in the Playground". Is this where the sites name originates, or is the saying more popular than I know in other parts of the world?

I've just never heard it before, and it kinda jumped out at me.

Yes, that's the origin. Berlew mentioned it somewhere on the internal boards. He adopted the name on the grounds that he was posting somewhere and thought he was basically the only person in the place in which he was posting with half a brain, and started using that moniker, but it is a Babylon 5 reference.

As for the strip, I think the confrontation with Hinjo made it perfectly clear that Miko was completely beyond rational thought or remorse at this point, and nothing anyone else did was going to effect her in any predictable way. She can't accept that she's done anything wrong, when the gods themselves have told her so. If she's managed that feat of cognitive dissonance, there is probably nothing of which she can't convince herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatrixSchmatrix
Jul 1, 2006

sakesniper posted:

Burlew has mentioned that people guessing where his stories are going frustrates him to no end so he goes out of his way to change things up. In the only moment I ever disliked him he made a post in his forums complaining about people figuring things out and then said that's the reason updates (at the time) we going so slowly, he was changing things constantly. He was really pissy about it, like it was somehow their fault they wanted to discuss the plot and guess what was going to happen and were apparently often enough right.

Edit: Actually, I decided to find the post and it isn't as bad as I remember. Still, it kind of sucks that he could've just said "predictions stay in prediction threads only or need to be spoiler tagged" (a valid enough rule) rather than threaten possible deletion of the board. OoTS is still cool and he otherwise seems like a nice guy.
As I recall, he's also said he explicitly doesn't read people's speculation because he keeps wanting to change away from it. Regardless, the little fakeouts might be specific responses to predictions, or just to what he thought people might be expecting, but it's pretty clear that it wasn't a situation where he originally planned, say, to have the arrow kill V- he's said many times that the overall arc of the story is planned long in advance, so I'm sure he knows exactly if, where, when and how major characters eat it.