Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

this debate lacks any sexual intrigue so I am not even paying attention

Gyges posted:

Sorry, all undead leaders sound like Mumm-Ra to me.

They all sound Hades from the Disney version of Hercules to me. Personally I think that's perfect for Xykon. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

Dammit Who? posted:

I think Miko's bit about "It all made sense, for the first time in years..." suggests there's some backstory to her we haven't been given which might make her high-strung demeanor a bit more sympathetic.

I can't exactly cite strips on this, but I always kind of got the impression that Miko was a bit isolated amongst the other paladins for her pigheadedness and obsession with justice, honour, etc. to the extent of all else. She seems to think that her order should be much stricter than it actually is (that one strip where Shojo's sending her off and she actually sighs when he tells her not to kill the Order), and that it isn't and she's in no position to change that has, I kind of get the feeling, brewed dissatisfaction in her. Roots of rebellion and all that. I dunno, just a theory.

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

I liked Miko in this strip. She may be a total bitch, but she's not delusional just yet. I could see her atoning at some point during the battle just as much as I could see her going Blackguard, and either way I get the feeling she might turn the tide in favour of whatever alignment she chooses.

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

clockworkjoe posted:

That's interesting. I've never heard of an artist or writer being so influenced by his fan base in such a negative way. While I can see where he's coming from, I think he needs to get over himself. To me, it sounds like he thinks his ability is so great that even the suggestion of someone else being able to predict the plot is an insult.

I can empathise with him somewhat. It would certainly get frustrating feeling like all your big plot twists are going to be reacted to with OH YEAH CALLED IT TWO MONTHS AGO. Sometimes for something to best influence the reader it needs to be surprising, and I can see how Burlew would get frustrated with the idea of all these people essentially making his writing less effective through an external process he has no real influence over. Not to say that the fanbase are somehow at fault for speculating, but I think his perspective is more sympathetic than it's being given credit for. It also sounds to me like he'd rather people talked thoughtfully about what's happening and what has happened than tritely about what might, which is fair enough really.

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

clockworkjoe posted:

It's interesting that this is Burlew's first experience with writing and how his hatred of fans predicting plot twists affects him so much. I think it's a lack of experience with dealing with an audience that causes this but it's the internet's instant feedback that has made this an issue in the first place.

It does seem a little unfair that, thanks to the nature of internet forums, many more people are going to have a good idea of what the twists will be than otherwise might be the case - that is, the astute fiction detectives are sharing their predictions with the people who normally wouldn't guess this poo poo and they parrot them, so to the author it feels like his story is predictable enough that everyone is guessing the twists and turns before they happen.

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

Efreet saiid posted:

some guy posted:

Bicycle scene :words:
I don't even know what you mean here.

A bicycle scene is a much-maligned type of overused comedy scene following this basic format:
code:
CHARACTER: There's no way I'm getting on that bicycle!

Cut to CHARACTER riding BICYCLE. He looks MIFFED. 

Efreet saiid posted:

After all, we already had the lawful stupid paladin who was doomed to fall, the painfully contrived reason why oaths and honor are dumb, the CG guy who was cool and doing the right thing because as we all know, CG is the real good- I mean seriously this part of the plot is reading like something about of an exceptionally bad Forgotten Realms novel, and they're pretty bad on the mean. Go on, read them. Read about the awesome CG characters and the dumb LG characters and the rear end in a top hat paladins and the loving mages and loving mystra, ok actually don't read them whatever you do because they're awful and OOTs should not have common ground with them, because you get to that ground by making some pretty dumb decisions about plot and characterisation.

This is just the most ridiculously unjustified comparision. I've never even read one of those horrible books, but I know the type of franchise-based fiction you're talking about and just because some fantasy fiction does something you don't like doesn't mean you get to compare it to the fiction equivalent of alchemical dross. Is there a term for this? Salvatore's Law, maybe?

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

Efreet saiid posted:

Anyway I think i've said my peace, if you want to take this further, maybe we could move this discussion to TG? Hahahahha, just kidding. About the TG bit, I mean.

You're not talking about D&D, you're talking about the Order of the Stick. Stop complaining about this thread being more discussion-y than TG when this is a discussion that would in fact be pretty out of place in TG!

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

greatn posted:

Symbol of insanity is actually permanent, so killing herself may have been out of insanity.

I saw it as her experiencing a brief moment of clarity just as she happened to be killing herself due to the insanity. Like, the mind clears for a moment, but it's already too late.

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

Ferrinus posted:

Clearly the shockwave was more or less an expanding horizontal line and Durkon and Vaarsavius were both under it but it hit the treants at waist level! Also every building and citizen was magically warded against sonic attack

Why, that's ridiculous! BURLEEEEEW :argh:

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

clockworkjoe posted:

Yeah, he hasn't done much this battle yet and a cleric vs cleric fight is :awesome:

I'm betting Redcloak'd crush Durkon, but yeah I do wanna see him do something.

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

Brannock posted:

This new strip made no sense at all. Is it even related to the story?

I think I'm going to stop reading Erfworld. I think I'll go back and read through it again once "Battle for Gobwin Knob" is done and maybe it'll make more sense when everything is together and we don't have to wait a week in between updates.

Ansom's main squeeze is rejoining with her army and she wants to go provide air support for a column instead of following Ansom's battle plan of staying put and fighting with her current unit, possibly in order to somehow further Wanda's agenda. Meanwhile, we see Parson's plan being executed as the dragons attack the siege towers. It's not gripping, but I get what's going on without needing to go back and read it or anything.

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

Factor_VIII posted:

That what I was thinking as well. Maybe she'll see the spectral Fu Manchu, think that he's a ghost summoned by Redcloak and attack him instead of Xykon.

Surely she'd recognise the founder of her own beloved order. I doubt she's going to attack the bunch of ghostly paladin dudes who are fighting the evil lich rather than the evil lich, anyway, and I for one would like to see Miko help out.

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

Sick_Boy posted:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0189.html

What about this early appearence by Miko? Does not seem to show much respect for human life...

Come on, though, "You'll serve me or you'll die!" ? Show me the paladin who wouldn't have killed the bandit sorcerer who just attacked them shouting that. The sanctity of human life is a tricky thing in D&D, because although we try to apply our modern moral standards the setting is still tinged with the ramifications of a culture ruled by violence. You can be the most pious paladin that ever lived and kill Evil goblins all day long with no ramifications - goblins are not inherently evil and are capable of being Lawful Good if they feel like it, so it's not like they couldn't repent if you gave them the chance. Killing an Evil human in short order is really no different.

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

Sick_Boy posted:

She could have subdued them easily.

But why risk being pursued later when she has more pressing stuff to do and they're clearly Evil anyway? Paladins don't need to be bleeding heart samaritans, especially not out in the violent wilderness. Roy's Lawful Good, are you saying he should be considered to be going against the spirit of his alignment every time he kills a goblin without reasoning with it first?

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

Quarex posted:

Yeah, I remember there was some justification given at some point as to why destroying the gate made sense (obviously, since the bald paladin was just about to do exactly that). Was it not something like how it was better to destroy it than to let Xykon get his hands on it? Obviously, that would make sense with how there was no longer any need to destroy it now that Xykon was about to run off/die.

Yeah, she saw what O'chul was trying to do and finished the job. She didn't realise that Soon was actually kicking rear end and if she'd helped him out instead the Gate could safely be left intact. So she did what she thought was best, it was just poor judgement and lack of information.

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

Robot Bastard posted:

No; I figure we'll learn that she's doing what she thinks she was supposed to have already done.

Ah, yeah. That makes sense.

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

It wouldn't serve the dramatic narrative to have her die at this juncture. Rules be damned, she's still alive.

Actually, having Roy and Miko meet up somehow in the afterlife could be interesting...

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

Oh man, killer World of Darkness joke there.

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

Is it wrong that I'm starting to like Erfworld more than OotS all of a sudden? The recent strips with Parson have really punched stuff up nice and concise, whereas OotS has a tendency to go on and on and on explicating each tiny occurrence.

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

The Werle posted:

Seriously, go create a seperate Erfworld thread. I keep getting my hopes up that OotS is updated.

It would be totally unsustainable. Not enough people care!

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

KOraithER posted:

I liked the "Ground: 1, Roy: 1" joke in this one.

Yeah, this was a funny comic generally. I thought that was the best joke though!

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

People love talking about paladins. They are apparently the most contentious subject this thread will ever know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

O-Chul's a paladin. He can detect evil. I am guessing he would not hang out and share food with something of evil alignment!