Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fooquestionmark
Nov 27, 2005

FUTURE DARWIN AWARD WINNER
There is a rather large hole in the right boot on my power steering rack. I've bought a new one but what all do I need to do? So far I'm thinking just take the old one off slop the new one full of cv grease and put it on. Anything else or is that completely wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

fooquestionmark posted:

There is a rather large hole in the right boot on my power steering rack. I've bought a new one but what all do I need to do? So far I'm thinking just take the old one off slop the new one full of cv grease and put it on. Anything else or is that completely wrong?

I assume you're referring to the CV joint/boot? (kind of unrelated to the steering rack) Are you replacing the whole CV or just the boot? What car is this on?

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

SpitztheGreat posted:

I agree with the fact that the oil leaks but if I were to get the oil pan replaced, thus stopping the leak would it make a difference then? No the engine is only a 3.0 V6 but for it's age it runs well and with all the "special" oils out there for "high mileage engines" I was just wondering if any of them actually make a difference.
There is some worry that synthetic oil may cause leaks on older engines. Over 200,000 miles, some of that standard oil has gelled up and may be holding some of the engine's seals together. Synthetic can sometimes leak through those oil deposits and out the engine. Of course, this might just be a myth. v:shobon:v

fooquestionmark
Nov 27, 2005

snugglz posted:

I assume you're referring to the CV joint/boot? (kind of unrelated to the steering rack) Are you replacing the whole CV or just the boot? What car is this on?

No there is a boot on the power steering rack much like this:

This is on a 95 BMW M3

AdeptaCheese
Oct 14, 2003

Sovereign Swiss

Is a 1982 Datsun 280ZX (specifically this one) A terrible choice for a first car? I know i'll probably be working on it a bit but it looks like such a fun car.

fooquestionmark
Nov 27, 2005

AdeptaCheese posted:

Is a 1982 Datsun 280ZX (specifically this one) A terrible choice for a first car? I know i'll probably be working on it a bit but it looks like such a fun car.

Make sure its not rusty, but I'd say go for it.

fooquestionmark
Nov 27, 2005

fooquestionmark posted:

I did some actual research and it ends up their just dust covers, now I'm wondering that because I'll have to disconnect the tie rod if I will have to get an alignment.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now
I'm going to inherit a 2003 Volvo S60 2.4T with about 30,000 miles on it pretty soon. It's a nice car, and much more fun to drive than my current car (a 1995 850). However, I'm young and don't have a family and I'm considering getting something sportier and faster.

Would it be stupid to try to sell this and buy an older (2000ish) M3 or M5? I'm not sure how accurate ebay prices are, but the S60 bluebooks for about $19,000 and it looks like shopping around can find certain E39 M5s or E46M3s for $25k. I wouldn't want to pay much more than $5,000 more for another car.

Is this a stupid pipe dream? Is ebay stupid about pricing? Is it not worth it to sell the volvo which is in fantastic condition?

CMYK_iNK
Oct 18, 2003

This is probably as stupid as it gets. ;) So, I made a sort of impulse purchase on a car. 2004 Audi TT Roadster (convertible). The funny thing is, I don't know all that much about it and I loved it so much when I drove it that I didn't ask as many questions as I should have. Apparently it's a 3.2L engine and I opened the hood and it says Turbo on it.

What I really want to know is...
a) Is this considered a good sports car?
b) What is the difference between the different sizes of engines? (e.g. 2.0L vs 3.2)
c) What would the horsepower be? I can't seem to find it anywhere on the spec sheet or on the car itself

Deserted
Dec 17, 2006
I can't...I can't look away!
My question:
I have a 2002 Saturn SC2, with the half-door on the driver side. Road noise is terrible and loud, mostly from where the driver door and this door connect. Is there anything I can do to cut down on road noise in this area?

CMYK_iNK posted:

2004 Audi TT Roadster (convertible). Apparently it's a 3.2L engine and I opened the hood and it says Turbo on it.

What I really want to know is...
b) What is the difference between the different sizes of engines? (e.g. 2.0L vs 3.2)
c) What would the horsepower be? I can't seem to find it anywhere on the spec sheet or on the car itself

a) That's for you to decide, what other people think doesn't really matter. I'd say it is.
b) Not sure what you mean here, larger has more power, obviously.
c) From what I found:
Engine Size 3.2 liters / 195 cu. in.
Horsepower 250 @ 6300 rpm
Torque (lb-ft) 236 @ 2800-3200 rpm

Deserted fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 28, 2007

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

LloydDobler posted:

Unfortunately if the sensor isn't bad then you've been running your engine with low oil pressure (momentarily) and that could mean engine damage. No way to really tell until the bearings start knocking.

A compression tester can't be used to test your oil pressure. The only way I can think of to test oil pressure is to hook up a real oil pressure gage to the same spot as the sensor. I hope the sensor is just flaking out.
I replaced the sensor (sensor + socket: $12; oil pressure testing kit: $60), adjusted my timing, rotated my tires, replaced my power steering belt, head cover gasket and distributer o-ring and the light doesn't come on anymore. It was only coming on at idle after the car was warm, and my oil level is right where it was supposed to be, so hopefully whatever was going on wasn't enough to cause any damage.

Edit: it's running better but also hotter, wtf?

bizwank fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 28, 2007

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

CMYK_iNK posted:

Apparently it's a 3.2L engine and I opened the hood and it says Turbo on it.
It's either a 3.2L naturally aspirated engine, or a 1.8L turbo. So if your engine says Turbo, then you don't have the 3.2.

quote:

General consensus is not really. Depends on how you define sports car. Is it a good handler like a Miata or S2000? No. It tends toward the style and cushy side. If that combination works for you, and you feel sporty driving it, then that's all you really need to worry about. Obviously it grabbed your emotions in some manner, and that's what a good car does.

quote:

You have three choices. There's the base 1.8 Turbo, which puts out ~180HP. If your car does not have Quattro, that's what you have.

If you have Quattro, then you have the higher output 1.8T which rates at 225HP.

If you had the 3.2L (but you probably don't since you said it says "Turbo" on the engine), you'd have 250HP.

The best engine choice is probably the 225HP 1.8T because it's significantly lighter than the V6, and not that far behind in power.

CMYK_iNK
Oct 18, 2003

Thanks for your help, Deserter and Alowishus -- really informative :) I'll go check it out.

The Rising Suun
May 10, 2006

watch out I'm ornery
Stupid question: I am getting a whooshing, almost whine when my engine speed increases. I want to say that it isn't normal revs, but I'm not as opbservant as most of you guys. I really haven't been able to isloate it. It's a '93 pathfinder, 5 speed manual. It's more prominent in lower gears and seems to disappear above a certain rpm.

So, a noise that increases with engine speed, what could it be?

TheMuffinMan255
Nov 25, 2004
Im driving an 82 Toyota land cruiser (fj40) and I just had the hydraulic clutch system go out on me it seems. Basically one day the clutch felt really loose until eventually it would not even go into gear when the car was on. I put some brake fluid into the little clutch brake fluid container thing and the clutch got better, but it seems to have some kind of leak because 2 or 3 miles later I can barely get into gear again. I couldn't get a good look at the thing yet (happened at night and now im at work) but I believe its one of these...

http://coolfj40.stores.yahoo.net/clutmascylfj.html

So my questions are:
1) Is this the only component that could be leaking or broken or are there hoses and fittings that I should check on first.
2) Is this something I could buy and replace myself? Very little car knowledge and just a standard ratchet set for tools.
3) It seems they make original Toyota replacements and after market replacements for the same model, what difference can I expect with using an after market part?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

fooquestionmark posted:

I did some actual research and it ends up their just dust covers, now I'm wondering that because I'll have to disconnect the tie rod if I will have to get an alignment.

If you very carefully mark the location of the jam nut on the tie rod end, you can reassemble it and not need an alignment. An easy trick for doing that is before taking anything apart, mark one of the hex flats of the jam nut with a file, and file a small flat on the threads, flush with the nut and aligned with the marked flat. By marking the rotational position of the nut as well as the thread it was on, you'll know exactly where it was. If you can't see the file mark, you're one thread too far. If there's an unfiled thread between your nut and the mark, you have one thread to go.

The only way your alignment will be off is if you tighten it significantly tighter or looser than how it was before you disassembled it. And don't go crazy with the file, but definitely mark it well enough to be seen clearly during reassembly.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

The Rising Suun posted:

Stupid question: I am getting a whooshing, almost whine when my engine speed increases. I want to say that it isn't normal revs, but I'm not as opbservant as most of you guys. I really haven't been able to isloate it. It's a '93 pathfinder, 5 speed manual. It's more prominent in lower gears and seems to disappear above a certain rpm.

So, a noise that increases with engine speed, what could it be?

Could be power steering pump, check fluid level. It could be the alternator wearing out. It could be the water pump wearing out, A/C pulley wearing out, or it could be a belt wearing out.

Check for loose intake hoses and such as well.

Comedy option: You have a surprise turbo.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Where do you guys go to get replacement metric nuts and bolts? I have this problem where I drop bolts into the engine bay and never find them again.

High Altitude Hair Stylist posted:

gently caress, how much do rotors usually run? I think I waited too long to get the break pads replaced :(
If you're paying someone else to do it, $200-$300.

If you do the work yourself, ~$60-80 for rotors and pads and 3 hours of wrenching. Make sure to get a breaker bar and a can of Liquid Wrench, it gets pretty rusty down there.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 1, 2007

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Anyone recognize what kind of block that is?

The Rising Suun
May 10, 2006

watch out I'm ornery

LloydDobler posted:

Could be power steering pump, check fluid level. It could be the alternator wearing out. It could be the water pump wearing out, A/C pulley wearing out, or it could be a belt wearing out.

Check for loose intake hoses and such as well.

Comedy option: You have a surprise turbo.

Yeah, I looked around and asked some people, belt seems to be the likely culprit. Thank you!

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

BlackMK4 posted:

It looks like it is out of a tractor.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Atticus_1354 posted:

It looks like it is out of a tractor.

That'd make sense :) I'm assuming something domestic... google is failing me :(

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Yeah, unless someone else can say otherwise I am pretty sure it is from a tractor. Where did you get those pictures?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Atticus_1354 posted:

Yeah, unless someone else can say otherwise I am pretty sure it is from a tractor. Where did you get those pictures?

Out offroading today. :) I think I might go grab it tommorrow - probably worth a little bit at a scrap yard... maybe :unsmith:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 1, 2007

Deserted
Dec 17, 2006
How do I get this salvage yard marking off this car without scratching the paint or mirror?

Also, is there an easy way to get that stupid pinstripe off without spending three hours picking at it? It's only on the driver door.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Deserted posted:

How do I get this salvage yard marking off this car without scratching the paint or mirror?

Also, is there an easy way to get that stupid pinstripe off without spending three hours picking at it? It's only on the driver door.
Have you tried strong soap and water? Usually they don't use anything too permanent. If that doesn't work use lighter fluid or another solvent on the mirror, you can't hurt it. The painted part will be difficult to clean further without harming the finish.

As for the pinstripe, they make a "decal eraser" device that works with air tools or maybe Dremel-style rotary tools. It spins fast enough to shred vinyl but won't hurt paint. I'm not sure if I'd buy one to use it once, but if there's a small bodyshop around they might be persuaded to apply theirs for a small fee.

Mr. Tea
Feb 10, 2007

lighten up

BlackMK4 posted:

I think it is indeed an old tractor engine. Here's a restored one (International Harvester I believe); the weird manifolds look like a pretty good match, along with the little valve access doors:

Edit: Nope, I think Rocket_350 called it right! \/\/\/

Mr. Tea fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 1, 2007

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm going to say Chrysler flathead six, this photo is a good match though not exact, maybe something from the same engine family (this is a 40's Dodge Powerwagon engine).

It could still be a tractor engine, some Massey Harris tractors used Chrysler Sixes.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/flat.html

Fornax Disaster fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 1, 2007

Deserted
Dec 17, 2006

Pitch posted:

If that doesn't work use lighter fluid or another solvent on the mirror, you can't hurt it. The painted part will be difficult to clean further without harming the finish.

As for the pinstripe, they make a "decal eraser" device that works with air tools or maybe Dremel-style rotary tools. I'm not sure if I'd buy one to use it once, but if there's a small bodyshop around they might be persuaded to apply theirs for a small fee.

Good to know about lighter fluid. As to the decal eraser, I think I'll just bring out the iPod and pick away, or hire some neighborhood kid. No way am I paying any money for cosmetic stuff on my sister's beater Saturn.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'm about to sell my E34 535i/5. I love the car, but I'm in a place where I don't need as much practicality and I bought a new car (thread forthcoming). What I'm wondering is what's the best way to make the money transaction when I find a buyer? When I bought the car, the seller just wanted a personal check. I guess he trusted me enough, but that seems unusual. For the price of the car, having the buyer pay in cash seems excessive ($5000-6000, at least) I think. I've never actually sold a car private party, so I'm just not quite sure what is the best way to deal with safely securing the funds. Suggestions?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I'm looking for this type of connector that's connected to the wire in this picture:

Anyone know what that kind of clip is called and/or where I can get some online? No where in town knows what they're called or even carries them, and the project I need them for HAS to have those kind of connectors to work properly.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Guinness posted:

I'm about to sell my E34 535i/5. I love the car, but I'm in a place where I don't need as much practicality and I bought a new car (thread forthcoming). What I'm wondering is what's the best way to make the money transaction when I find a buyer? When I bought the car, the seller just wanted a personal check. I guess he trusted me enough, but that seems unusual. For the price of the car, having the buyer pay in cash seems excessive ($5000-6000, at least) I think. I've never actually sold a car private party, so I'm just not quite sure what is the best way to deal with safely securing the funds. Suggestions?

I think the safest way I've been hearing people on here describe (sorry, never done it myself) is to have the buyer bring a cashier's check. Then, you both go to your bank and you verify/deposit the check. Once it all goes through, you hand over the title.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Devyl posted:

I'm looking for this type of connector that's connected to the wire in this picture:

Anyone know what that kind of clip is called and/or where I can get some online? No where in town knows what they're called or even carries them, and the project I need them for HAS to have those kind of connectors to work properly.

Is it one of the ones on this page?
http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=0901

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Devyl posted:

Looks like a VAG wiring clip, the tangs on the outside hold the connector in the plastic housings, and they're a bitch to get out without the special (and $$$) tool. You can find them at http://ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?make=Volkswagen&engine=1.8T&model=Jetta%20IV&submodel=&category=General%20Purpose&subcategory=Electrical

Keep in mind -- there are several different sizes of these connectors, from large ones for the headlights to some very tiny ones under the dash. Make sure you get the right one for your application.

Edit: Link goes to poo poo, but you can find it at https://www.ecstuning.com and going to the General / Electrical connection on most cars listed.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Deserted posted:

As for the mirror, water and a razor blade will take it right off. The water just keeps the razor blade from scratching the glass.

You might have to use rubbing compound on the paint.

They sell pinstripe erasers at auto body and paint supply stores. They're not as easy to find at regular auto parts stores but sometimes you get lucky. There will be a supply store somewhere near you. I got one for $16. They had one at my local NAPA but it was like $35 for the exact same thing. You have to have a fairly fast drill or they won't work. It won't work in a cordless drill, it's gotta be up around 3000 RPM. It'll say on the eraser or the package what RPM it needs.

Crix_Maydine
Feb 11, 2007
Obviam Eversor.
I was never 100% sure what 2+2 meant in cars like the Z cars.

Crazed_Capybara_Rider
Oct 22, 2000

Crix_Maydine posted:

I was never 100% sure what 2+2 meant in cars like the Z cars.

Seats 2 in the front, 2 in the back.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Why do so many of the 80's Broncos I see for sale have a small oil leak?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Crazed_Capybara_Rider posted:

Seats 2 in the front, 2 in the back.

Yeah, but the backs seats are generally like the extra arms on conjoined twins. They're shriveled and useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
I just bought a 94 Celica ST, and it passed emissions for sale, but barely. The CO reading was right at the limit at idle, but not at load. What would cause CO emissions to be higher at idle? The reading at load is way below tolerance, and everything else was decent.

• Locked thread