Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

canyoneer posted:

Yes. Drums.

So the solution is to get the rear brake adjustment mechanism looked at by someone else? Is there a way I can inspect it myself? I'm sort of a gear dummy, but I was able to follow guides online for most of my motorcycle maintenance and minor/moderate repairs :shobon:

I guess. In-laws have used them for years and have had good experiences, so I don't know what's up. I'm hearing all the "shop said this and that" stuff second-hand.

The drum and handbrake are one and the same. You can adjust the handbrake cable for slack, or you can adjust the drums themselves. Drums have a self-ratcheting system which theoretically clicks over and maintains the ideal clearance between shoe and drum all the time; in real life that doesn't work so drums also (most of them) have adjustment slots through which you stick a screwdriver or similar and manually turn over the ratcheting mechanism. After you do that, you adjust the handbrake travel using the cable adjuster. The handbrake adjuster is only for lever travel and isn't intended to change what the handbrake does at the drums themselves.

If your handbrake is super heavy but the brakes feel crap, chances are someone has been lazy and instead of adjusting the drums at the wheel, they've simply masked the issue by tightening the crap out of the handbrake cable. If it's within your means and knowledge, look up a manual for your car and see if it's possible to adjust the drums. Slack off the handbrake cable prior to doing this, adjust them, then tighten it to how you want it and everything should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ExecuDork posted:

I adjusted my parking brake in my BMW e36 about 6 months ago, following the how-to and illustrations in the Hayne's manual. The manual was pretty crappy, and an on-line tutorial also skipped over some important information. But even after getting past all the assumptions made by other people about "this part is tricky" and "this part is obvious and simple and nobody could get stuck for 45 minutes trying to figure out step 3 in my 10-step, 20-minute guide", it was pretty easy. As has been said, it involved removing the rear wheels, adjusting the mechanism by sticking a screwdriver through a little hole (this was the hard part), and finishing up by tightening the cables on the lever.

I tried to half-rear end it in my Falcon ute, by just tightening the obviously very loose cable on the lever, which fixed my parking brake for about 1 day. I took it to a shop - in my defense, I don't have my tools or even a good place to work on it here - and they fixed it properly along with a bunch of other put-off-by-previous-owner basic maintenance.

In both cars, once the parking brake was in good shape, the lever felt much heavier to pull into position. But not super heavy, just a nice solid feel.

Those cars are both disc rear aren't they? Or is the falcon ute drum rear.

Motronic posted:

When you tap the brakes as you are moving backwards. I've actually run into a situation where rear drums were not getting adjusted because the person rarely ever backed up (semicircle driveway plus parking alongside the building at work). The adjusters still worked fine, as backing up across the parking lot and slamming the brakes 4 or 5 times actually resolved the issue.

This works on some vehicles but not others, depends on the ratchet thingy design. There's also the added complication that some cars, like toyota vitz for example, have an auto adjuster which isn't adequate and no manual port. In which case the only course is to take the drum off, manually spread the shoes by a couple of clicks and put it all back together.

Drums are horrible and should be banned.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

But why offer both discs and drums in the rear on the same model car? It would be much cheaper to choose one and stick with it.

It's definitely cheaper now to build discs than drums. Drums are more complicated, have more parts with varying manufacturing techniques, and the vast majority of cars having discs means that the tooling is more common for them. The only reason anyone puts drums on any passenger vehicle is as an artificial marketing tool.

Make no mistake, discs are superior in EVERY real-world way and the only reason most commercial vehicles still use drums is because the manufacturing inertia is much stronger in that field, and drums are perceived as lower-maintenance. Which is true when it comes to disc vs drum lifespan, but that's about it. The newest scania and mercedes trucks use disc brakes (at least on the front) and as more sophisticated ESC programs are expected for every vehicle, commercial and otherwise, drums are becoming less common because modulating brake effort is much easier and more straightforward with discs.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah try changing the fluid, plain old dex3 will work fine and may or may not be cheaper than actual power steering fluid in your area. If it doesn't go away your pump is probably buggered.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ExecuDork posted:

Yup, rear discs on both, and both use a separate drum brake for the parking brake. I think you have to take the rear discs off, or at least move part of them out of the way, to properly adjust the parking brake on the Falcon ute, so the fact the rear pads needed replacing made it a case of "while you're in there anyway".

I'm honestly surprised the falcon ute has rear discs, is it a BF or what?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Motronic posted:

That's basically what I'm thinking. But not water.....just contamination in general.

Suck out what you can from the reservoir with a turkey baster, fill it with clean fluid, start it, turn lock to lock several times, shut it down. Repeat if what's in the reservoir doesn't look like what came out of the bottle. This will likely take 3 or more rounds.

Alternatively, disconnect the reservoir return hose (and plug the return hole on the reservoir!) and put it into a large bottle. Have a friend start the car and steer it left to right while you fill the reservoir with new fluid as it empties. When new fluid starts coming out of the return line, turn off the car and reconnect everything. Totally flushes the fluid with no mess if you're careful.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

melon cat posted:

What's a sure-fire way of knowing when your brake drum shoes need to be changed? I was about to change mine, but they seem to be okay (please correct me if I'm wrong, though). The new shoe is on the left, existing one is on the right. How much life do you figure the existing ones have left?

Years and years to go. They're only usually stuffed if they have about 2mm or less. They wear very slowly on most vehicles; the smaller and lighter the car, the more slowly they wear.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Won't make any difference unless the drain clogs and the gutter floods, it'll be fine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Does anyone here have any experience with first-generation toyota 3S-GE engines? Specifically in an 80's celica. My fiancee is on the brink of buying a manual 87 and I'm reluctant to let her because she wants something with good fuel economy and I have the feeling it wouldn't be. It's a manual car with 200,000km's which has sort of fallen into our lap. Does anyone here drive one of these things and know what they're like on gas?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That looks...pretty loving poo poo. Oh well.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've got both; I've found the ramps are most useful when you're playing around with a transmission or driveshaft or exhaust because they let you lay under the car without having stands get in the way. Other from that, stands are the way to go.

Anecdotally, I have a set of weyco ramps constructed from L-section steel trellis and they're now pretty badly warped because, despite their weight rating, they can't support a bmw e24.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It is overwhelmingly likely that a car that modern will have an in-tank fuel filter integrated with the fuel pump. These aren't hard to change and I would be surprised if ford GM HURR ones are any more expensive than for any other car. When you pull the filter out you end up dismantling the pressure regulator and so on at the same time so you can check for clogs or damage or loose wires.

However, based on your problem I would be looking at the immobiliser system. If it has a transponder key+barrel antenna type system, the antenna or immo control unit may be faulty. The engine will crank and crank but the immobiliser won't allow the ECU to supply fuel and start the engine. I could be entirely off-base about this but I don't see why a fordGM that modern would have a completely different immo system to other cars.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 27, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geoj posted:

Its a Saturn (GM.)

I'm not up to speed on GM's PATS system, but if it works anything like Ford's nothing should happen when you try to start the engine without a PATS key or with a faulty system.

Sorry I am completely mentally handicapped; I read the entirety of his original post and STILL convinced myself it was a ford somehow.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Does whatever equipment you're using have any oscilloscope sort of function at all? A faulty CPS will be blatently obvious straight away.

Also, I know you've probably already done this, but have you physically looked at the plugs? If they're completely worn out it may be flooding when it tries to start.

What makes you think it's a CPS and not coils/igniter? Anything in particular?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

My equipment is a (decent) OBD2 -> Bluetooth adapter and an app on my phone. :v: I have a cheap multimeter as well.

The car had only been sitting a few minutes both times; engine was fully warm. It's pulled a somewhat hard start thing 3 other times now, though it never took more than ~10 seconds of cranking to fire; it never died after starting, and never failed to start.

I haven't pulled the plugs yet - they're rated for 100k, car only has 68k, so I haven't had any reason to pull them yet.

The reason I think it's CKP or fuel pump is because once it starts, it doesn't act like it had flooded - no gas smell, no rough running, once it fires up it runs perfect. Had it been only ignition related, it would have run like it had been flooded. The injectors won't pulse if it's the CKP or any sensor related to the engine position (i.e. CKP or cam position); had they fired, and there hadn't been a spark, it would have been somewhat flooded, i.e. some smoke or at least a gassy smell.

There's a good chance I'm overthinking this a bit, of course - I'm basing nearly all of this on what I learned from my late 90s/early 00s cars. The ECU on this should be considerably more advanced, right?

A friend suggested I ohm the fuel pump to rule it out; as soon as I can figure out how to get to it I plan to do that. Everything I'm seeing screams either fuel issue or something preventing the injectors from firing; the only things that should keep the injectors from pulsing, AFAIK, are PATS and the CKP. I've noticed the fuel pump is actually (barely) audible inside the car at idle with the stereo/climate control turned off, which has me thinking it's either not original or may be failing; I don't think the original pump should be audible like that?

Also, it was in the high 50s the first time it happened today, and low 50s the second time. The other hard-start issues I had popped up anywhere from 25-80F (yes, we hit 80 in January here... :clint: Texas)

One thing worth trying, maybe, is to repeatedly cycle the ignition fully on and off without trying to crank. Every time you set it to ON the fuel pump will briefly operate to pressurise the system (don't know if you'll be able to hear it when it does this). Some cars have more audible pumps than others, really depends on the intended market as to how much sound deadening there is. In-tank pumps are surprisingly noisy. How difficult is it to pull that crap out, provided it isn't spark related?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Looks like an in-tank pump to me...?

Or is that whole thing somehow located outside of the tank in a little pod?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ultimately, after you finish digging up whatever you can unearth regarding the CKP (provided you don't find anything abnormal), I would replace the fuel filter and have a go at pulling out the fuel pump just to see if it still goes reliably and if anything is clogged etc. I've seen in-tank pumps pass a resistance test at the contacts but not function consistently; it's just one of those things. You can only be sure by pulling it out, supplying 12v to the contacts and feeling it spin in your hand :heysexy:

edit: I don't see how the o2 sensors and so on would be responsible as the car isn't operating in closed-loop when it's trying to start. Fuel pressure tester is a good idea, albeit not free.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

Christ STR return the drat vehicle it's the first issue of many you're going to have with a used Saturn. Return it now or kick yourself hard later :ohdear: ...

I'm saying it out of love and not to be inflammatory in case it wasn't obvious.

Are they that bad? American cars are a mystery to me in terms of what's expectedof them reliability-wise. How different is a saturn to a chevy? Just the badge?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If it's the same engine as a holden vectra or what have you it can't be that bad, those are considered middle of the road here. I'm genuinely dying to know what the problem is, now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Godholio posted:

Can someone explain the idea of a lifetime fuel filter in the loving tank? How on Earth is that better than an inline model that takes $10 and 5 minutes to replace?

They aren't really 'lifetime', in the sense that they can and are replaced. It depends on what the service schedule looks like for the country the vehicle is sold in; some brands over here replace the in-tank filter every 60,000km's. It really isn't that hard to do (on most cars) and the benefits for production, reliability and maintenance are significant. From what I know, brands like Ryco make in-tank filters aftermarket so it isn't that big a deal.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

General_Failure posted:

Ryco don't make poo poo. They slap their name on things so quality varies wildly. I'm really unhappy with the last two Ryco oil filters. I don't think they have valves anymore. Both engines lose their prime so drat easily now. I almost feel like crying when I start one up if it's been sitting. Oh god... the sounds :(

Is genuine really hard to get/expensive for your car? I've never understood why it matters so much to save $15 on a filter that you fit every half a year at most.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

General_Failure posted:

Generally pretty drat hard to get. Hell I'd gladly pay a bit more for better quality. I mean when you are already in $30 or so for a poo poo filter, a little more for a good filter would be nice. They cost about as much as whatever oil on special in the right grade is that I choose to put in it. I'm considering Black and gold this time round. It may be lovely supermarket branded oil but it's rated for older petrol and light diesel engines so it seems like it has a fair chance of having ZDDP. I don't know. Last time I think I used Castrol GTX or something.

If it wasn't Australia day, mate, I'd wander over to the Ford dealership and see if they had any proper Ford filters, but really I have my suspicions that they wouldn't be any better. Hey it's using genuine Ford power steering fluid at least. And giving a nice amount of it to the driveway / road surface. I really need to find that leak.

Do you know about this stuff? http://www.moreyoil.co.nz/
I know a few people who play around with ancient BMW's who swear by it. The flat tappets in the M30 wear the cam and themselves pretty badly if you use 'modern' oils, adding this stuff plus very basic 20w50 works wonders.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toyota marketed the self-cranking thing as a feature for women. Because you only have to flick the key to start instead of holding it there, which is so hard. Additionally it makes implementing a push-button start simpler because the systems are the same across the model. Also makes wiring up the clutch interlock simpler.

General_Failure posted:

Well if you can get your hands on a fuel pressure test gauge and your car can accomodate it, that's probably something to check.

Back as far as VW had the ignition barrel on the steering column at least they had a mechanical interlock tht only let you crank once before turning off
the ignition to try again. Unless the barrel failed or something electrical causing the car to run while in the off position it was physically impossible to grind the starter. No ECU involved.

My old man's 72 mercedes has the same thing. Most of my old BMW's have had it too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geoj posted:

In my experience with "lifetime" filters, they are integrated into the pump and are not separable or replaceable without replacing the pump as well. My wife's Mazda 6 is like this...the only way to replace the filter is to buy the $300+ (at parts stores...I don't even want to know what the dealer charges) fuel pump assembly and replace it.

Really? The japanese cars I've dealt with (which don't include late model mazda's) have the filter as a convoluted plastic thingy. You take the entire pump/float assembly out of the tank, then you have to pry open a series of plastic clips to take out the float, pump, pipes etc leaving you with the hollow core filter that everything plugs onto.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

EightBit posted:

When using Torque to try diagnosing sputtering in a 2000 Jeep 4.0, what measurements should I focus on? Also, should a graph of the o2 sensor reading be flat at idle or is it normal to have a plateau every few seconds? I'll post a screenshot when i get home, kinda hard to do with a phone.

If it's the upstream sensor (normally called bank1 sensor1 or just sensor 1) it should be in a constant lazy wave when the car is in closed loop.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Raw_Beef posted:

Thats a very rough signal wave. A high peak indicates a low 02 content. It should be smooth almost like a sine wave, and running at at least 1hz. I cant really tell how much time that graph covers.
Another issue is that voltage peak. 1.2v is pretty much out of range for a standard 02 sensor.

Id check the EGR just to make sure it isnt dumping exhaust back into the engine, because that could account for the very low 02 reading. After that I'd replace the sensor.

I second this.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Here's a random question. Earlier today I was driving a nissan with a CVT, and when you floored it the engine built it's way up to the redline and just sat at what I presume was peak power while the car accelerated. I know how CVT's work and why they do what they do etc. What I don't understand is why they aren't faster.

As in, why don't ferrari or whoever build CVT cars as a matter of course? No matter how fast your DSG box is, the engine still has to work it's way through x number of imperfect gear ratios. It seems like a CVT would be ideal for an engine that makes huge power in a very narrow range because you could keep the engine in that range indefinitely; the acceleration advantages would surely be huge.

Is it really just a matter of weight and strength? Or are there other, more subtle reasons?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fixit posted:

My 240 has been dieing at random times and when I start it in the morning or after it has been sitting for a while it needs a good amount of throttle to idle out, otherwise it dies. Any ideas or suggestions?

Also, how would I drain water out of the rear turn signal?

Take the whole light housing out of the car (should just be a couple of screws/10mm bolts). Take the turn bulb out and pour it out. Investigate why it's filled with water :(

As for dying, do you often run it for a short period of time then switch it off before it can warm up? This prevents the plugs from getting hot enough to self-clean and they eventually foul and make it tricky for the car to run. Try only switching it off once it's warm, if possible. See if it makes a difference.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

poemdexter posted:

I have a 05 Hyundai Sonata that decided it didn't like coolant anymore and decided to spew it everywhere on the way to work today. I'm wondering if this is something I can fix myself or if I need a mechanic. Pics:

The hoses in question:

You can see a hose with some blue tape on it. I guess this is from the previous owner or perhaps the dealership where I got the car. This is where I believe the fluid is leaking. I could hear a small hiss and some spewing of fluid coming from that area this morning but the smoke and made it hard to pinpoint and I wasn't about to go touching hot things.

Here's a close up of the hose in question.

Could this be cause? Am I even looking at the right thing? If I get to walmart and get some coolant and duct tape, can I tape the hose up, add coolant, and get home today so I can work on it or take it somewhere this weekend?

Can you quick and dirty MS-paint a circle around where you think the leak is coming from? There's that very large hose which goes to the radiator, two smaller ones about half the diameter which go to the heater and are at the back of the motor, and two even smaller ones half the size again which go into the throttlebody.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

Is there anything I can about an out-of-round tire other than replacing it?

I get slight vibration at speed and a pulsating sensation through the car and tire noise that varies in pitch on a very smooth and flat piece of parking lot. With the car jacked up, there's no play in the wheels at all, so I'm pretty sure one of the rear tires on my car is out of round. The wheels were balanced in mid-December and I haven't lost any wheel weights since then.

Not much beyond re-balancing. You could just swap that wheel for the spare if it's possible on your car. Did you check for a warped/buckled rim? Sometimes it can be very subtle and makes them hell to balance. Alternatively the balance shop may just have done a poo poo job; is the vibration coming through the steering wheel or through your seat? If it's the latter it'll be a wheel on the rear. A lot of the time people don't balance the rear wheels, especially on a solid axle car, because of the perception that you won't be able to tell the difference (+lazyness).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah if it's only doing it under braking it might be brake rotor run-out and have nothing to do with the wheel itself.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Raw_Beef posted:

The first image is a normal o2 sensor wave for closed loop operation. Textbook normal sine wave 1hz.
The second image it looks like the sensor is cycling, youve got a tiny change in voltage almost every second untill the major drop. Its also worth noting that now your max voltage is .8, within normal range for a sensor reading low o2 or rich conditions.

This indicates after driving for a while your engine starts running rich. Do you have any misfire codes with this issue? Its possible at hot idle a fuel injector or coil is not firing causing the sputter and dumping fuel down the o2 sensors and into the cat. Eventually the cat will be plugged.

Its amazing what you can do with phones now. can you get a live feed of injector or coil pulse?

I find this really interesting too; in a professional capacity it'd be cool to have something on my phone that would let me play around with OBD2. Does a jeep that old even have individual coils, or does it have leads+distributor/coil brick?

You're dead-on about the o2 sensor waves.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Raw_Beef posted:

Does the vehicle do this when stationary and at 2500 rpm? If you cant get it do make the noise while stationary, the problem is suspension or drivetrain related.

Take belts off, run engine. Noise still present? If yes, then obviously its not belts or anything belt driven.

If its making the noise when stationary with no belts, youve got something that needs professional service now or you might lose the engine soon.

I'm a little surprised you took it to a shop for this problem but dont have an answer. It helps to not be specific about what you think it is, just explain the symptoms. It helps keep the shop from focusing on what you said and more into finding the real problem in my experience (as a tech)

Farside
98 olds: some of these GMs liked to link all their lights in a circuit, so when one brake fails, they all fail, or one turn signal fails, they dont blink. Check all the lights. Pull them out of their sockets and examine the contacts for corrosion.

Kia: intake carbon removal is a scam. First of all, most places call it Injector service, when theyre really shooting the chemicals in through the throttle body. It misses the injectors completely.
Second of all, you can easily access the throttle body by removing the air cleaner housing and ducts, and spray throttle body cleaner directly at any carbon. For carbon deeper in the manifold and engine, run some Seafoam motor treatment. It does the exact same thing as what a shop will do for $10.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRAV5ln5cUc

This may or may not be the issue at all (sedona TPS). There is a Service bulletin out for that vehicle where the TPS is replaced with a more robust design for this very problem, along with the software update. The TPS itself is a faulty design on some of them and the fix is both replace and computer upgrade.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Farside posted:

The van was in the shop ~2-3 years ago for the exact same problem. Both times we brought it in the check engine light was on as well as the ESC light. The van also went into "limp home mode" only allowing us to drive ~10 MPH. The first time it was in they replaced some sensor if I recall correctly. So I guess that only updating the software would be right if it was the TPS that was replaced the first time. When I get home I'll see if I can find the old receipt to see what was replaced.

You wouldn't happen to have a link to the service bulletin would you?

The seafoam video shows 3 different places they added it. The engine just turned 35K should I add it to all 3 places?

Unfortunately I can't link you to it because it's on the kia dealer network site. I can flick you an email with the file if you want, it's a relatively small .doc file. I know that if you don't fit the TPS correctly it can cause a slight misfire and running rough because one of the little terminal legs has poor contact.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I really have no idea as I've never used that website, but quite probably. If you have access to it, and it's laid out like the one I use, it'll be under VQ CARNIVAL/SEDONA>Fuel System>MIL on with DTC P2135.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Red_Fred posted:

I have a 2002 Toyota/Lexus Altezza AS300/IS300 and it needs a new battery. I have the new battery I just wanted to check what the usual procedure is when changing out a battery. Anything to watch out for?

Not particularly. You'll lose your radio programming, clock etc. Connect the positive lead first I guess.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Look for over-spray on the muffler, those cars frequently had under seal lazily sprayed directly on half of the muffler. Can't think of anything else it could be, the yaris is pretty basic.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Raw_Beef posted:

These days there are cheap-ish scan tools that can do all the computer modules not just OBDII, but they arent like $50 cheap. AFAIK its more like $500, but i could be wrong.

Its probably common to charge for CEL scanning in your area, thats why they wont do it for free. I'm currently at the first shop ive ever been with who wont at least take the 5 minutes to scan the code for free.

We charge 45 bucks. We are a rip-off but that's what you get at a dealership I guess.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Planeshifter2 posted:

I drive a 2010 Prius which I got about 6 months ago. About two months after getting the car, the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) warning light came on. I took it to a service station where I had the tires inspected and was told there was no problem with the tires and they filled them with some air for me and the TPMS light went off. Two months after that, the TPMS light came on again. Took it in again, they looked at the tires again, said everything was fine and that it was most likely due to changes in temperature (this was right when it started getting really cold). Once again, filled the tires with air and sent me on my way. Now as of a week ago my TPMS light is back on. Do I need a new tire/tires, or am I just going to have to keep having them filled with air every two months, or what?

You'll find that in your owner's manual it says to check the tyre pressures every couple of weeks. The tyres don't just take care of themselves, they are not maintenance free. The TPMS is working fine, the tyres are fine, don't be lazy and check your pressures once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

redreader posted:

Hi!

I don't know much about cars. My wife has a hyundai accent, 2005. I took it for a service/oil change when required, and the mechanic told me that the cv boots are ripped/leaking. He said that it'd cost 170 dollars for each of the struts (so 4x170) and 1200 for 4 boots. After that he said "but you don't need to do it, you could just carry on driving this car". Should I buy the parts at auto zone or something, and get a cheaper mechanic to do this? He said this affects the shocks but the shocks feel ok. If this is an important repair I'll get it done. I suppose I want to know if this is the kind of thing I can carry on with until I notice a definite problem, and also if the mechanic was ripping me off.

Also noone has mentioned that CV joints/boots have absolutely nothing to do with the struts/shocks at all. The shocks are part of the suspension, they affect ride and handling. The CV joints transfer power from the engine to the front wheels. They are physically connected through a couple of intermediate parts, but one never affects the other unless the car is in a very severe accident.

edit: VVVVV whoops, sorry!

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 13, 2013

• Locked thread