Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
floydpepper
Nov 7, 2004

"It Don't Make You A Bad Person"
2000 Dodge Dakota 4.7L

On start-up, the Oil Pressure gauge does not move for a second. The red "check gauges" light stays on, then the oil pressure gauge will move to the middle (40...if that means anything) and then the warning light will go off.

So the stupid question is this.
Is that something I should worry about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

floydpepper
Nov 7, 2004

Molten Llama posted:

What are the recent outside temperatures and what weight oil are you running?

Oil pressure has to build to operating pressure, and if your weight's too heavy for the weather it'll take longer. Which isn't really a good thing.

Cold. It has been about 20-30 degrees out. And I have yet to change the oil as the truck is new to me. The engine calls for 5w-30.

I have noticed that this occurs only after the engine sits for a while (say over night or all day during work) If it only sits for an hour or two then the gauge is quick to respond and all is good.

floydpepper
Nov 7, 2004

Quick one.
2001 Toyota Camry 2.2L 4Cyl

Misfire on Cyl 4

Replaced plugs as they needed it anyways. There was oil on Cyl 4 plug. Still same issue.
Switched wires on coil pack. Moved cyl 1 to Cyl 4 and Cyl 4 to Cyl 1. Still same Cyl 4 misfire.

I was thinking next step to replace valve cover gasket. Would seeping oil into the plug cause a misfire?

I know it is probably a stupid question, but I'm trying to do as much as I can by myself.

floydpepper
Nov 7, 2004

EightBit posted:

Replacing the valve cover gasket won't do much for this problem. Get the engine warm and run a compression test on all cylinders. Betting that number four will show low compression to go with the oil on the spark plug. Which would mean that the rings on that piston are worn out. If it shows good compression, it's likely a valve seal.

Thanks! I'll check the compression and go from there.

• Locked thread