Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I'm looking for good all-weather mats for my 2011 Tacoma. Weathertech has mixed reviews.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Skyssx posted:

The 2nd gen Tundra folks love their Weathertechs. I have the original Toyota mats, the new ones are worthless. The molds were changed so as not to interfere with the gas pedal, except there was no possible way for the originals to interfere with the gas pedal in the first place. As a result, the new ones can't contain more than a few drops of liquid.

I'm not so much concerned about liquid as I am sand. Should I get the floorliner or the allweather mat?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Geoj posted:

Any time the clutch is anything but totally engaged or totally disengaged it is slipping against the flywheel, reducing its lifespan. Therefore it is best to minimize the time spent moving with the clutch slipping. At the same time you don't want to modulate the clutch in such a manner that the car bucks when it re-engages. Basically, you eventually will want to get to a point where pushing the clutch is all one fluid motion without any unnecessary hesitation. It might sound difficult, but over time it will become second nature and you'll do it without even thinking about it.

Correct.

I release quickly, pause at the friction point, then release smoothly from there. If you understand the mechanism of the clutch and become proficient at hitting your friction point your shifting will smooth itself out.

Having said that, my pet peeve is a driver that doesn't downshift...please don't put it into neutral and brake all the way into your stop. Gah.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

einTier posted:

I want to also pitch in on the Amica love. They cut my premiums to a third of what they were with Progressive, even though I increased coverage. When some miscreant broke into the Porsche and did fifteen loving thousand dollars worth of damage to the interior, they never balked at it. When I "complained" that the leather on the driver's side no longer matched due to the replacement, they sent out an agent, looked at it ten seconds and said, "yeah, you're right" and replaced it too.

Oh. My rates have not gone up. And, they cover me at track events, so long as they're not timed.

I got a quote from Amica and it's 300$more annually than I pay with GEICO for the same coverage. I was pretty surprised after all the love i've seen on here.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

nvm

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 2, 2015

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Bought a 2000 4Runner with 155k on it for 4800$. One owner, seemingly well cared for. Tranny fluid looked lovely, but didn't notice any hard shifts or slippage. Decided to just do a drain/refill over the next few oil changes.

Prepared everything, got underneath and the loving plug is stripped--just spinning in place.

:negative:

Heading to Toyota in the morning to see how hard they fleece me for a new pan and transmission service. gently caress.

Could be worse I reckon. No leaking around the plug.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Motronic posted:

Bypass the loving trans cooler in the radiator NOW.

Seriously....why are you still reading? Go loving do it.

Yeah that's a very near future repair. Or a new radiator. Haven't decided which to do.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Motronic posted:

A new radiator doesn't solve the problem. It only pushes it off.

You bypass it with an external trans cooler and then loop or plug the lines on the rad for when they blow....that way you won't lose coolant.

That's sort of where I was leaning. Prob do it this week. Figured new radiator wouldn't be corroded, but separating the two fixes forever.

Gotta get that tranny pan replaced first though.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Motronic posted:

I don't think we every got a mantrans version of that truck in the US or if there was ever anything other than an autobox version anywhere for that matter. Either would explain the lack of an easy to get drop in replacement in the US.

I think 96-00 had manuals in the US, but was discontinued 01-02.

You seem to know a bit about it--which secondary cooler would you recommend? B&M seems popular on 4runner boards.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Motronic posted:

If you want something that just drops in, that's a good choice.

There are many cheaper that basically zip tie between the rad and condenser. I really wouldn't suggest that.

And then you have the "I'm at the pick and pull and this PS cooler/trans cooler/condenser looks close enough!" method that I'll often take*.

* often requires a welder and some scrap to make brackets

Yeah, I'll probably just order the B&M and just short circuit the tranny fittings from the radiator. Seems easy enough. No one around here carries them though.

How much are transmission pans? I hope Toyota has one. I don't have a leak at the moment but I have to drive it over there in the morning. I don't know if they'll tap it or replace the entire pan. I've read that the bung tends to break spot-welds inside the pan so it may not even be stripped, just free-spinning.

Didn't leak all afternoon though.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Motronic posted:

Bypass the loving trans cooler in the radiator NOW.

Seriously....why are you still reading? Go loving do it.

Update:

Done and done.

Placed B&M 70268 in front of AC condenser, mounted in two places, rerouted tranny fluid through A/C line port on passenger side of radiator, and then ran a hose to close off nipples on bottom of radiator so if it does corrode, I don't lose my loving coolant.

Took about 3hrs.

gently caress you, thwarted milkshake. :argh:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Anyone know of a good place outside of ebay for used auto parts online?

My local salvage yards aren't very helpful, and ebay is fine. Just looking to search a bit more.

Broke the drat dash bezel while trying to pull it out of my 00 4Runner. Just disintegrated near one of the tabs. :doh:

New replacements are like 330$--no loving way I'm doing that.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Brigdh posted:

car-part.com
Probably not exactly what you are thinking of, but its kind of the go-to site for used parts.

Thanks bud, that is exactly what I was looking for.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Panda Time posted:

I'm interested in a used 4runner, and want to have my mechanic inspect one at a persons house.

A common issue with 4runners is the "pink milkshake", caused by faulty radiator fluid overflowing into the transmission causing havoc.
Say that were to have happened, and the owner had flushed the transmission out and put new fluid in, would my mechanic have a chance to spot this issue?

Should I just buy a junker with 250k for ~$2500 and replace the transmission, throw in a rebuilt engine, overhaul everything etc?

I just bought this guy a month ago.

155k, 2000 LTD. One owner. No known issues.

It has the 3.4 V6, which I like. Described frequently among Toyota nerds as the most reliable workhorse engine built by Toyota.

This is it. The consensus is that it really has no known issues with the engine except the oil leaks. I myself have a slight valve cover gasket leak, but it hasn't shown up in the oil level over the past 1000mi. Seems pretty minor. I'll get around to replacing them eventually.

Anyways, I did the trans cooler mod a week or so ago and it was pretty easy.

Hammered the brackets so they don't interfere with anything, reroute the transmission lines to the cooler and then run a loop from the old nipples on the radiator so if it does corrode you won't lose all your coolant. I'm not incredibly mechanically inclined, and I knocked it out in about 3hrs. That's probably on the long side. Hardest part was removing old hoses from the steel transmission lines--they are tucked over your lower control arm.

Like was mentioned before--basic maintenance, and it'll run like a tank.

To add a stupid question:

Full disclosure, I have driven a Prius for awhile, and had two basically brand-new cars before it--so forgive my ignorance.

I have a bit of white vapor startup--has some exhaust smell, but nothing major. I live in a humid environment (literally 300yards from the water), and it's pretty cold right now for us. There is a bit of water flow out of exhaust.

Being the oldest vehicle I have ever owned, I have head gasket concerns obviously.

It has some smell to it, but I'm not sure what 'sweet' smell people talk about. Doesn't seem to linger after the car has warmed up a bit. Maybe a short jet if it's still cold outside. Haven't had it long enough to have warm weather yet.

No rough idle--starts and holds steady at 700-750 when warm, 600 in D. No misfires, CELs or anything.

Should I be concerned?

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 6, 2015

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Slavvy posted:

No.

Also that's hardly the best tractor engine toyota ever made; the most I can say about it is it doesn't have any real flaws (this in itself is a MASSIVE achievement for most other brands) and is a lot better than it's boat-anchor of a predecessor.

Yeah I figured as much.

The 2TRFE in my old tacoma was a beast also. The 22RE?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Slavvy posted:

The problem is you guys miss out on all the really good diesel lumps like the 1HD, 1KZ, 5L, 1HZ etc. They're all unkillable and easily attain moon-and-back mileage provided the car doesn't rot away around them.

There's an old LandCruiser turbodiesel (RH drive :fap:) that I see around Charleston from time to time with the 1KZ. I'd murder any one of you for it.

Are most of those engines overseas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

kastein posted:

You say that like they don't keep trying to gently caress us. Ford really doubled down on ruining diesels for another few hundred thousand people by churning out 6.0s and 6.4s for a number of years.

Fortunately they stopped that nonsense and stopped buying garbage from Navistar, by all accounts I've heard their new internally developed 6.7 is quite nice.

Working in EMS with F450s, the 6.7 is not rated for that kind of duty.

As far as other work.....I'm sure it's fine.

We murder the 6.7's at a rate commensurate with the old 6.0s we had.

Slavvy posted:

They are common as dirt all over not-america. I'm sure someone from the US can explain this better but a combination of strange fuel pricing and lack of market diesel acceptance because of some dumb poo poo GM did in the 80's (note: this reason for why things are the way they are in the US is repeated time and again; the big three really hosed you guys in innumerable ways, back in the day) means that Toyota never bothered to bring out diesel cruisers/4runners there.

Also if it's a landcruiser (not a prado - two different but very similar vehicles) it'll be a 1HD which is like the KZ's really large 6 cyl bodybuilder brother.

Fun fact: Toyota's series of light buses use the 1HD!

Gotta be the HD then. It's a LandCruiser. Either way, thanks a lot GM/Ford/etc.

Didn't they also gently caress up public transit in LA in the 40s?

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 7, 2015

• Locked thread