Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
recommendations for used car websites / publications?

other then:
autotrader, recycler, craigslist, ebay...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
Is it bad when a car hasn't been driven for the last 20 years even though it's got < 10,000 miles on it?
Going to have it checked out by a mechanic anyway, but just concerned because I'm looking for a long term daily driver.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

KozmoNaut posted:

Yes, absolutely.

Expect anything made of rubber to have crumbled to dust. All seals and bushings are likely dry-rotted and worthless by now. Depending on how it was stored, all the fluids in it are probably either dried up or reduced to sticky slimy gunk by now. Getting that car back on the road will be a major project.

Avoid.

Is it something where if one seal/gasket/bushing/hose pipe isn't replaced then I'm hosed or what?
Can I just throw money at a mechanic because it sounds like a good deal gosh???

Thanks for the heads up

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
I'm interested in a used 4runner, and want to have my mechanic inspect one at a persons house.

A common issue with 4runners is the "pink milkshake", caused by faulty radiator fluid overflowing into the transmission causing havoc.
Say that were to have happened, and the owner had flushed the transmission out and put new fluid in, would my mechanic have a chance to spot this issue?

Should I just buy a junker with 250k for ~$2500 and replace the transmission, throw in a rebuilt engine, overhaul everything etc?

• Locked thread