Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
So I just got my 2000 4WD Tacoma back after having it loaned to my brother for about 7 years. It's approaching 240K on the odometer but runs well. I have noticed it shifts (MT) pretty hard and clunky when cold and I was thinking that changing the fluid(s) might be a good step to take. I know it had a new clutch put in maybe a year or two back, but I am not sure what sections of the drivetrain would get removed for that and therefor have newer oil. I assume it would be the transfer case or the transmission, but I am not really sure having never messed around with those parts. I also plan to change the oil in the front and rear diffs. I have already changed the plugs, and I want to investigate new shocks as the original ones are pretty shot. The thing rocks like a ship. Any other must do items I need to be aware of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

KozmoNaut posted:

Is there anything I can about an out-of-round tire other than replacing it?

I get slight vibration at speed and a pulsating sensation through the car and tire noise that varies in pitch on a very smooth and flat piece of parking lot. With the car jacked up, there's no play in the wheels at all, so I'm pretty sure one of the rear tires on my car is out of round. The wheels were balanced in mid-December and I haven't lost any wheel weights since then.

I am in no way experienced with this but years ago I read about people with big off-road tires having them shaved to roundness to eliminate that issue. Some machine spins them and a blade takes off the bulges. It removes tread, but makes the tire ride better. Maybe a 4 wheeling shop can do this?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I don't know if this applies to cars, but on marine diesels you get sediment and water on the bottom of the fuel tank and if a tank gets low enough, you suck it into the engine and it can clog the fuel filter and make the engine stall or run like poo poo.

I have no idea what caused the electrical stuff, did you check the fuses?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My 2004 WRX sometimes is slow to start. It turns over for about 5 seconds before catching, but it only does this about 2x per month. The starter cranks hard, the thing is just slow to catch. The battery is about 3 years old, and as I live in the Mid Atlantic region, I usually get years and years out of a battery. Any other suggestions before I buy a new battery?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

kastein posted:

If it's cranking healthily, it's not the battery, so don't buy one.

The issue lies elsewhere - probably either a marginal sensor or a bad fuel check valve. Next time it won't catch, try shutting it off, cycling the key to ON but not to START for 5 seconds, back to OFF, back to ON for another 5 seconds, then try starting it. If it starts right up, the check valve in the fuel system that keeps the fuel supply lines from the tank to the engine from draining back into the tank every time you shut it off has either failed or started leaking, so the fuel pump has to try and catch up and fill the supply lines back up while it's cranking once in a while.

e: what diagnostic trouble codes (check engine light on?) is it giving, if any?

Thanks, it never throws a code, just slow to catch. Is this a simple repair? I know the gas filter is due for a swap. Maybe related?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I'll check the filter, can't hurt either way unless I gently caress it up somehow. Thanks again.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
So I have changed the fuel filter in my WRX, I'll see how that does for correcting my slow-to-start problem. I disconnected the green plug on the pax side, the car stalled, disconnected the two hoses and swapped it out. I did get a check engine lite after the swap. Torque told me it was a fuel relay issue, I presume from disconnecting it while the car was running? Anyway, I cleared it and the car seems fine, no leaks either.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Motronic posted:

Full tank of fuel, change the oil when you get back. No big thing.

Disconnect the battery just in case so you don't come back to a dead one.

When I used to go to sea for 6-8 months at a time, I asked my father to drive my car every month or so. I still got a massive mice infestation and they took over the blower fan.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I splurged for the bosch and now get a slimy film after every wipe. Not happy with their performance on my subarus.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Yeah, that seems really suspicious. It would be a lot less weird to just remove the plate. You could offer the tow company some cash and maybe get the owners info, but that probably would not lead anywhere useful or productive unless you have proof of some sort. Insurance is for poo poo like this.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I was rotating my tires and noticed that the outside edge of the tread had some ragged look to it. The pax side was worse and both myself and my wife have slid down the curb at least once on that side. I thought it might be and alignment issue but there is not really any more wear, just a ragged look. Is this just a result of us rubbing the curb?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

CNClab 2021 posted:

I put six ounces of seafoam into my motor and the rest of the can into the fuel tank today. The car was warmed up at the time from going to get gas and a measuring cup, but I let it cool at least five minutes. Once it was in I drove aggressively on the expressway as per the website's instructions, but I did not get any white smoke. What gives? Am I just going to blow out a whole bunch of smoke when I get to work in the morning?

The car is an 1989 525i.

My understanding was that the smoke amount was directly proportional to how much material the seafoam was reacting with and sending out the exhaust.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Brother in law has a 97 saab 900 turbo, manual transmission. There is a distinct clunk when you ease off the gas at 15-20 mph. No such clunk when accelerating. It feels like when the weight of the car shifts fwd as engine braking starts, we hear the noise. Any ideas? We were thinking tranny or engine mounts maybe.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Thanks for the replies on the Saab. New question on my 2000 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L with a manual. I am getting a CEL (P0401 EGR low flow). I did the vacuum check on the EGR valve when the truck was warmed up and it promptly died. I understand this means the EGR is functioning and I should look at the EGR associated Vacuum Switching Valve. Does this sound right? Is there anything else I should look at before removing and testing this part and getting a new one?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I am still trying to figure out my 2000 Tacoma CEL. It is the P0401 EGR insufficient flow message. I have checked the EGR, the vacuum hoses and removed the Vacuum Switching Valve and confirmed that it does work. I also checked the EGR modulator and it seems intact with no tears in the membrane. Can a VSV fail intermittently? I reset the CEL and it is taking its time returning but I did not really fix anything yet.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Enigma89 posted:

I looked all over Google but can't find anything.

I have a 1992 BMW 325i. When I turn on my fan (AC or heater, or regular air). I hear a clicking noise coming from somewhere in the dashboard. When I turn off my car fan it stops. Tried all different temperatures but I have no idea what it is.

The car has been maintained extremely well. The only thing I have done recently was put in more coolant and a bit more oil.

Any idea? I may take it to a mechanic but I really don't want to shell out a poo poo load of cash to fix this. The noise is really annoying. If I put on the radio and drive I don't really hear it all too much but I don't want to keep turning on my fan if it's damaging my car.

It sounds like leaves/debris in the fan. Mice can stash stuff in there.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I just found out my 2000 4WD Tacoma needs a new rear left leaf spring. The OEM one has cracked. Should I grab one one off Rockauto for ~$200 or go to the junk yard and look there?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

johnny sack posted:

I've put all new speakers in my 2006 Dodge Charger. Of course whenever taking door panels and the dash apart, inevitably clips will break. It's as if they're designed specifically to break and then rattle even after you properly replace them with the other exact correct clip.

Anyway, now I have a couple annoying rattles. One of the them is coming from somewhere under the cheap loving piece of plastic that sits in the front of the dash. Another is somewhere in the rear deck.

My plan is to take some sheets of fleece or felt and cut them to size, fold them over and essentially wedge them under the areas that are rattling. Will this work? Is there a better way to eliminate rattles?

Any ship more than a few months old will have every stateroom filled with little wedges of paper and cardboard to null out rattles and shudders. Truly evil people will remove them and claim they cleaned up the stateroom. It should work fine.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Tried to swap out my bad leaf spring. Got the truck on jack stands and promptly got gently caress all done as the fasteners are all seized solid. I am not comfortable grinding them off and my impact did nothing to it even after PB soaking. I did round off one bolt and nut for my troubles.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I would think that simply idling the engine for 30 min would provide enough heat under the hood to thaw everything.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Oh well.

You could siphon it all out and pump in warm to hot replacement stuff. Repeat as needed till it thaws. Or find an underground garage and park it there for a day or so.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I had ice off a car shatter my windshield a few years ago while driving in NJ. The other driver pulled over, we swapped info and their company paid for my new windshield, no real headaches at all. Obviously state/province may make a difference.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My folks jeep did something like this, it ended up being a bad connection on the battery. Just smacked the terminal and it would go away for a while, tightening it fixed it for good.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Quick physics/theory question:
I understand turbos are paired with an intercooler to lower the temp of the incoming air because lower temps are better for fuel/air/combustion. If cooler air is better, why do I get lovely mileage in the winter? Is it all due to the winter blends and 10% ethanol?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My 2000 Toyota truck had an EGR CEL. I went nuts removing every drat part of the system for tests and whatnot, and in the end it was a torn vacuum line. In my research, I came across lots of stories of people chasing EGR troubles that would come and go with months between a CEL.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Some older cars used the ABS to monitor tire pressure, right? The ABS would sense a tire spinning at a different rpm from the others and infer that the tire was flat. Maybe the other tires are rather worn, and the new one is big enough with that nice new tread that now the car thinks all the others are off or something.

How many miles are on the remaining tires?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Doghouse posted:

My 1990 4runner may, unfortunately, be seeing its last days. So I've never really bought a car - my parents got me the 4runner in high school - and I don't have that much money, so I've been just been looking around on Craisgslist. Seems like there are a lot of good deals there, but I don't really have a frame of reference.

How risky is it to buy a car off Craigslist? Also, if a 2000-2005ish car has 100k or more miles, is it still capable of lasting quite a while? Excuse my ignorance, I don't know that much about cars.

Have a mechanic you trust take a look at the car you are interested in. Ask the current owner for service records, receipts, etc. Google the model you are looking at for major issues.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Kind of random question I have here. Like so many WRX owners, I have an accessport which changes some aspect of the way the car's ECU works and results in more power. Is there a thing where people do this with other parts of the car? Say the wiper interval bugs you, or the dome light turns off too fast. Do people mess with this stuff? CAN you mess with this stuff? Is the car's OS in some moon language that only the manufacturer car work with? Seems like as cars are more and more networked with all the features, that a bold owner could customize all sorts of things.

Basically, I would love to turn off/on and adjust things I am pretty sure are computer controlled in my car, but I have no idea if that is possible.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

DrPain posted:

Reprogramming control modules takes big $$$. Between manufacturer specific proprietary software, time sensitive subscriptions often measured in hours or days, a dedicated machine to run it, and training to know what the gently caress you're doing.

It's simply not worth it if all you want is to host interior light rave dance parties. I know exactly one guy who has all the gear, and he's spent tens of thousands. His service calls start at $200, but he is worth every penny. He's the man you call when a late model BMW eats a tranny and every module in the car must be reflashed to accept the new tranny control module, which is internal to the new assembly.

I figured it was something not worth messing with. I am however looking forward to the day we will need antivirus software for our cars. :rolleyes:

My specific issue is the rear wiper wipes almost constantly, when every 30 seconds or so is fine. I do like that when the car is in reverse, it works constantly.

Little stuff like that which would make a car much more enjoyable if you could control them.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
A friend recently changed the thermostat on his early 90s S10 pickup. A few days later it appears he needs a new radiator. I am pretty sure the two issues are related, but cannot say why. No overheating, just lots of coolant suddenly all over under the car. I thought maybe a poor bleed job but honestly don't know. Any ideas?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Well my friend replaced the radiator. For now the issue seems to be fixed. FWIW, there was no leaking at the thermostat, and it appears to be working correctly. He had the head gaskets already replaced for an earlier overheating issue.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I am looking to possibly sell my 2000 4wd Tacoma extracab with 243,000 miles. I have never sold a car before and I am doing what I have read to be prudent such as researching current asking prices, what people look for with your model, etc. So far it seems that KBB is very low for Tacoma Values. In my experience buying it was always high. I am looking on cars.com and see lots of similar trucks with asking prices several thousand over KBB excellent condition. Can anyone comment on if this is normal for some cars?

For background, I have had the truck since 2001/17,000 miles and these days I just don't drive it much. I have put maybe 2-3K miles in the last 2 years on it, and I figure I might as well cash it out now while it is running and in decent condition. I hope to maybe buy a newer tacoma in a year or three when we have to sell our other older car. Has anyone had to make the decision to sell a running but unneeded although much loved vehicle? Should I bother with doing the brakes and rear shocks for resale value or is that not worth the $$?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My 04 wrx with 5 speed manual has a smell that comes from the vents. The clutch is 3000 miles new, as is the flywheel. The smell shows up when the car is warm and the car is stopped. The smell to me smells like burning clutch but it shows up even if I baby it. The smell is stronger the faster I drive.

The wheels/brakes are not hot and the smell only comes through the vents, I cant smell it outside the car at all. I have looked several times and tightened everything I can see and see no signs of a leak of anything. I thought it might be oil dripping on the exhaust, but see no smoke and the smell only comes through the vents.

Other than this issue the car drives great, the clutch grabs well, acceleration is good, etc. The mechanic is going to look at when I can afford to loan out the car but that is a few weeks away.

Any ideas anyone?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Rontalvos posted:

In my 2000 2.5L manual Subaru Outback wagon I've got this strange rattling sound coming through the firewall. In 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear when the RPMs are above 3k and the gas pedal is 1/2 depressed or more, it sounds like somebody is rattling a marble inside a plastic cup down below the pedals. Only happens during acceleration under those conditions.

At first I thought "weird sound during high throttle, predetination?" but I just put in a full tank of 91 octane and the noise is the same. I can try to get audio of it tonight but it's been happening for about 2 weeks now and the car behaves normally otherwise.

First thought is exhaust heat shield. They migrate out of position and make a clattering noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Mister Kingdom posted:

No, it doesn't. Until it causes performance problems (and it hasn't in the two years I've had it), I'm gonna let it go.

I had an egr issue that drove me batty on my 2000 tacoma. It ended up being a cracked vaccuum hose. There are some simple tests you can do to see if the egr is bad or something else associated with the system. If no emissions though let it go unless your mileage goes to poo poo.

• Locked thread