Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Grumbletron, sweet setup but I must know what is blurred out in that last pic, it looks like a rat to me.

vvv Ahhhh, mums the word. vvv

poopzilla fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 20, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

poopzilla posted:

Grumbletron, sweet setup but I must know what is blurred out in that last pic, it looks like a rat to me.

I didnt think it wise to include my :420: accessories in the photo. The cats out of the bag now though. Keep it to yourself though. :ssh:

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

King Nothing posted:

My (Chorus line) speaker's tweeters are an aluminum/magnesium alloy. The Utopia line uses a beryllium tweeter, maybe that's what you're thinking of? It's funny you mention Rotel...go read this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=600778

Anyway I love the way my speakers sound. My components (especially the receiver) aren't lovely, I'd say they're very well-matched to each other in terms of the price point. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to drive a pair of B&W 802Ds with my receiver, but considering my fronts were only $700 for the pair I think I'm getting the most I can out of them.

The grills are just black plastic things with some sort of thin foam cover...I took them off because I like looking at my speakers.

I thought all focals used beryllium, just different "types" of strength or something, my bad.

Also, i tend to take the general consensus over one guys epiphany that XR-57 somehow beats out an amp with way more power and higher quality components. Theres reviews of the sonic impact t-amp on moon audio and stuff that say "WOW THIS ALMOST MATCHED MY $3000 DUAL MONOBLOCKS", and then next week he reviews another mini amp and says how it beats the piss out of the sonic impact t-amp somehow.

Dont get me wrong, i think the xr-57 is an impressive amp, and was pretty much set on getting it before i got a great deal on my onkyo, but i always think a seperate amp will be better.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 20, 2007

Nklus
Aug 23, 2005

If you didn't already know, I have an unhealthy obsession with the Joker!
removed

Nklus fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 24, 2017

briggs2012
Jun 20, 2004

Supply 'n' command 'n' all that shit
Technics SL-1200 Mk2 turnie
Marantz CD6000 CD player
Cambridge Audio A300 integrated amp
KEF Cresta 2 bookshelf speakers

antihero
Oct 11, 2004

antihero posted:

no pics unfortunately but here is my current setup:

Samsung 32" HD LCD LNS3251D
Xbox 360
Altec Lansing inMotion Speaker
Comcast HD DVR box

Coming soon:

Mac Mini to connect to my TV
Samsung HT-Q85 Surround Sound Speakers
Xbox 360 HD-DVD player
some DVD racks

Ah my gf's camera on her phone is better than mine:

Here is the current setup in our room.

antihero fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 22, 2007

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Nklus posted:

Not a very good pic. But a pretty good budget set up. A floor model 30 inch HDTV thats not LCD or Flat for only 250 and a 5.1 surround sound system thats also a DVD/VHS player.

Not trying to bust your balls or anything, but that doesnt look like any HD TV I've ever seen. Thats a regular old TV. And those speakers would sound a hell of alot better if you spread them out like they are meant to be. Center on top L/R to the sides and surrounds in the back of the room.

Radio on the TV
Jul 9, 2001

Who will save our village?
I have an old Denon receiver, B&W 602s, and a Panasonic projector. I really need to get a new receiver and a sub. My cable box, PS3, and Wii are all in the back of the room since they have to be hooked up to the projector and can't be routed through my lovely receiver.

Nklus
Aug 23, 2005

Ya, I just redid my room a few days ago, i've yet to position the speakers. And I know, a lot of people don't think it's an HDTV. I had to order a new cable box for my HD Cable, and before they installed it they were like "Are you sure its an HD..." I assure you, it is. I get all the HD channels in HD, its just like, a tube tv. It really old, which is why I got it so cheap.

Edit:

Yea, I wasn't on an HD channel when I took the pic because Fox doesn't present the syndication of Scrubs in HD, so if I'm on the FOXHD it turns it into a small box.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Nklus posted:

:words:

I dont want to poo poo up the thread with this, but unless I'm mistaken, HDTV = a wide screen. Whats the model # on that thing? If I'm wrong and thats an HD I'll buy you a cookie.

Nklus
Aug 23, 2005

removed

Nklus fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 24, 2017

Mr_Angry
May 15, 2003
A severe disappointment
College Slice

I just purchased this new TV three weeks ago to replace my Philips 32 inch LCD TV as I wanted a 1080p setup. What you see is the Sony Bravia 52 inch KDL-XBR3 LCD TV and I couldn't be happier with it and got it at a great price. The system setup is as follows:
  • Sony Playstation 3 (the Blu-Ray player)
  • Xbox 360 with HD-DVD drive
  • Nintendo Wii
  • Yamaha DTS 5.1 surround system
  • Buffalo Ethernet converter (the antenna you see up top) to network it all the game systems and Comcast box
The only real issue is that to get true 1080p out of the HD-DVD drive on the 360 I have to use the HD VGA adapter and that particular model of Bravia TV is one of the few to do the right 1920 x 1080 resolution needed.

As far as the Philips I'm waiting for the bracket I ordered to arrive at which point I'll wall mount that in my bedroom, retiring the 13 inch Sanyo I've had since my college days.

TehKrond
Oct 13, 2002

France is for Gays and Damn Dirty Jews, Both of which own Hollywood

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Ignore the mess.

I know that glass well! I've got two from the same resturant, it seems.

I also would love to contribute to this thread but I think I'll have to get a job first :cry:

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I dont want to poo poo up the thread with this, but unless I'm mistaken, HDTV = a wide screen. Whats the model # on that thing? If I'm wrong and thats an HD I'll buy you a cookie.

They made 4:3 hd CRT's. They have an option to compress the guns so that they project only in a 16:9 format allowing for utilization of the full HD resolution on 16:9 content. They were great for people that wanted an HD set, but had 90% of their material in a 4:3 format.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

TehKrond posted:

I know that glass well! I've got two from the same resturant, it seems.

I stole mine from the Lone Star steakhouse. I smuggled it out under my big giant corduroy coat. I left a nice tip so it's OK. It's brimming with Lagunitas "Brown Shugga" ale at the moment.

EDIT:

Nklus posted:

:words:

Juriko posted:

They made 4:3 hd CRT's. They have an option to compress the guns so that they project only in a 16:9 format allowing for utilization of the full HD resolution on 16:9 content. They were great for people that wanted an HD set, but had 90% of their material in a 4:3 format.

Well, color me informed. Nklus, instead of some godless sugar free diabetic cookie, PM me and I'll buy you the forums upgrade of your choice. Sorry for calling you out.

Grumbletron 4000 fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 20, 2007

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Mr_Angry posted:

I just purchased this new TV three weeks ago to replace my Philips 32 inch LCD TV as I wanted a 1080p setup. What you see is the Sony Bravia 52 inch KDL-XBR3 LCD TV and I couldn't be happier with it and got it at a great price. The system setup is as follows:
  • Nintendo Wii
  • Buffalo Ethernet converter (the antenna you see up top) to network it all the game systems and Comcast box
The only real issue is that to get true 1080p out of the HD-DVD drive on the 360 I have to use the HD VGA adapter and that particular model of Bravia TV is one of the few to do the right 1920 x 1080 resolution needed.

As far as the Philips I'm waiting for the bracket I ordered to arrive at which point I'll wall mount that in my bedroom, retiring the 13 inch Sanyo I've had since my college days.

If i were you i would get a nice bell'o stand thats big and wide. That is probably one of the nicest looking tvs out there and it looks sort of ridiculous perched atop a little skinny tv stand.

There was an ikea stand that was like 75" wide that would have been perfect (cost only $100 as well), but i cant seem to find it.

Hell you could just wallmount it since you have the media stand next to it. Of course your crib would be so badass with a wallmounted 52" XBR3 it might explode or something.

Nklus
Aug 23, 2005

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I stole mine from the Lone Star steakhouse. I smuggled it out under my big giant corduroy coat. I left a nice tip so it's OK. It's brimming with Lagunitas "Brown Shugga" ale at the moment.

EDIT:

Well, color me informed. Nklus, instead of some godless sugar free diabetic cookie, PM me and I'll buy you the forums upgrade of your choice. Sorry for calling you out.

Well sir, I do not have the ability to PM on the forums yet and you do not appear to be on AIM (using the handle from your profile) Although it is no problem you questioning me (no one believes me) Any upgrade would be savvy as I've had an account for two years with no upgrades.

Mr_Angry
May 15, 2003
A severe disappointment
College Slice

Omegaslast posted:

If i were you i would get a nice bell'o stand thats big and wide. That is probably one of the nicest looking tvs out there and it looks sort of ridiculous perched atop a little skinny tv stand.
Yeah, point taken. When the set arrived faster then I expected I was understandably more interested in getting it set up and going then looking for the right stand. The stand the TV is on is rated for LCD's up to 60 inches and 150 pounds so I'm well within the limits but I do need to get some type or earthquake straps or something for it.

Omegaslast posted:

Hell you could just wallmount it since you have the media stand next to it. Of course your crib would be so badass with a wallmounted 52" XBR3 it might explode or something.
I've thought about it and I'd definitely have to call in the professionals on that one as there's no way in hell I'd trust myself to wall mount a 52 inch TV. I'd probably need to have the wall torn out and some type of bracing put up as well which only further complicates matters. Mind you my crib would only be bad-rear end if I wasn't in it; sadly I tend to take away from the coolness factor of pretty much anything.

Digital Fiction
Jun 17, 2004

Huh?

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

My Sony HDTV isn't widescreen either. Do you live under a rock?

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider
Video:
Sharp Aquos LC-32D40U

Audio:
Denon AVR-3806 Receiver
Axiom VP150 Center, M22 fronts, and M2 rears
HSU VTF2 MK2 Subwoofer

Source:
Oppo DV-981HD
Xbox 360
PC

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

The HD standard includes widescreen. 4:3 CRTs that were refitted into "HDTVs" are capable of 1080i (540p) but aren't widescreen are sort of a bastardized HD spec.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

40" Sony Bravia. (Only 1080i, but the price was right.)

Don't want to nitpick but that is a 720p TV. It will support 1080i signals, but it will convert them to 720p internally.

There are no LCD/Plasma/DLP/LCOS TVs that are native 1080i. The only TVs that ARE 1080i are HD CRTs.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
all ATSC signals (above 480p) are required to be broadcast in 16:9 to fit the conformed standard. it was common for tv manufacturers to make 4:3 televisions when ATSC was first being adopted because most content users were viewing was in 4:3 format. Around 2003 was when they started moving away from the 4:3 model and to 16:9 across the board. Samsung quit making 4:3 lcds around 2002.

Stezzargh
Feb 15, 2005
Donkey Kong Engineer
There are some beautiful set-ups in this thread. I'm tempted to spend vast amounts of money once I finish university. For now, here's what I got:

- Sony STR-K670P receiver with bundled satellite speakers, which perform remarkably well.
- Sony VPH-1000 projector onto DIY screen - 90 inches of poorly-calibrated S-Video goodness!
- generic HTPC with HD tuner
- video games

I haven't finished re-assembling everything, but here's my shelf of stuff - The HTPC was cannibalized to repair another machine.

All driven by the handiest wireless keyboard I've ever used.

Stezzargh fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 5, 2007

Tukker
Jul 17, 2005

Gränsa utforska och om möjligt förlägga
Not the best pictures but here they are:

edit: I didn't have component cables for my XBox when I took this picture, hence the crappy resolution on the TV.

Video
Samsung LE32M61B: 32" LCD TV

Audio
Onkyo TX-SR503E: 7.1 Channel receiver
Infinity Reference Mark II Speakers: 2 Front, 1 Center, 2 Back

Source
Onkyo DV-SP402E: Progressive scan DVD player
XBox running XBMC: :)
Samsung DCB-9401R: crappy SDTV decoder
JVC HR-J672: old fashioned VCR

Connections
I'm using component cables from my XBox and DVD player to my receiver and from my receiver to my TV. All audio links are optical except for my VCR ofcourse. Unfortunately, SDTV decoders all use SCART so maybe I'll upgrade to an HDTV decoder, although HDTV in the Netherlands is still not interesting. But hey, it would add no extra cost to my current service plan.

Remote
Logitech Harmony 885: that's the EU version of the 880, I think

Notes
This setup does all I want it to do and even my girlfriend doesn't find it to complicated to control everything (since I got the Harmony remote). I do have to think hard about getting a new decoder though, I could also get a twin tuner SDTV one with 160GB. Or maybe a dreambox?

Tukker fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 20, 2007

Zombie Dictator
Jan 14, 2005

by angerbotSD

TV - Mitsubishi WD-52628
Pros: NetCommand is awesome. I can control every device through the TV with 1 remote. PerfectColor allows the home tweaker to get pretty goddamn spot-on NTSC color correction. Fantastic picture quality.
Cons: Not true 1080P (doesn't accept a 1080P signal input). Can't use the same input with a different setting on the receiver to allow the control I need (Wii and Xbox run on same input, through the TV, but different on the receiver. It won't let me create a Wii and Xbox input, have to use Wii/Xbox and change manually). Changing channels through the ATSC tuner is slow as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I have a cable box, so that doesn't really matter.

Receiver - Onkyo TX-604SR
Pros: Tons and tons of features. Easy calibration. Tons of inputs.
Cons: Couldn't customize my inputs as much as I wanted. Can't customize the name of inputs. Direct input mode clicks whenever input changes.

Speakers - Velodyne Front Row CHT
Pros: Great sound quality for the price (clearanced at $200, normally $600).
Cons: None really.

Sub - Acoustec BIC H-100
Pros: This is easily the best subwoofer for the price you can possibly find. A $200 sub that looks and performs like an $800 one.
Cons: It didn't come with a prostitute like I expected. :mad:

DVD - Panasonic RP-82
Pros: Everything.
Cons: It's discontinued and will eventually die. :(

Cable - Motorola DCT3412 I
Pros: It allows me to record multiple HD channels and watch later.
Cons: Everything else. God, this thing is a loving buggy piece of poo poo.

Xbox 360
Nintendo Wii
Xbox (modded)

Zombie Dictator fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 20, 2007

antihero
Oct 11, 2004

Tukker posted:

Not the best pictures but here they are:

That's a very nice wall!

Tukker
Jul 17, 2005

Gränsa utforska och om möjligt förlägga

antihero posted:

That's a very nice wall!
Thanks! It was white when we moved in and we painted it "aubergine". It's also nice on the eyes when watching a movie. That's another reason I hate the decoder, it should be black :)

Original vs Current (long exposure test shot):

Tukker fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 20, 2007

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Nothing too fancy here, but good enough for me :

- LG 32LC2R
- Sony STR-DE585
- Sony DVP-S525D (old, but no point in buying a new regular DVD player anymore)
- Xbox 360
- Infinity Alpha 20's

PC hooked up occasionally for some HD movie goodness. :awesome:

chuckelZ
Jun 7, 2004

If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.
For those that are using an HD-TV as a monitor for surfing the web, how is it? Would I be able to use one as my primary monitor? Do you think 720P/1080i is good enough to do this or would I need a 1080P set. I'm thinking of getting a 27-32", would this be acceptable if I'm sitting less than 7' away from it?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Stezzargh posted:

All driven by the handiest wireless keyboard I've ever used.

I have one of these and I like it except I constantly have to take out the batteries and put them back in to wake it up. Do you have that problem?

antihero
Oct 11, 2004

chuckelZ posted:

For those that are using an HD-TV as a monitor for surfing the web, how is it? Would I be able to use one as my primary monitor? Do you think 720P/1080i is good enough to do this or would I need a 1080P set. I'm thinking of getting a 27-32", would this be acceptable if I'm sitting less than 7' away from it?

Yeah I would like to know too as I am thinking of getting a mac mini.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

chuckelZ posted:

I use a 32 inch polaroid HDTV as my primary monitor and tbh I like it pretty well. I use it at 720P which doesnt allow for a ton of screen real estate but i find that on my screen at least it works best (my tv does not support 1080P). For basic comp stuff i find its just fine (web surfin, email, aim etc) and for gaming its super fun.

Youll want to turn your font size way up and depending on how high off the ground it is you may want to look into buying some kind of floor chair ( i use some "gaming chair" i got for $50. at bestbuy and i think its great, comfy, portable and I can drop it right down 2 feet from my screen if i wanna get up close)

I still have my 19inch samsung monitor, but I actually havent used it since i connected the HDTV. for the stuff I do at home on my PC the HDTV works fine and is conveinent.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

Wiseblood posted:

I have one of these and I like it except I constantly have to take out the batteries and put them back in to wake it up. Do you have that problem?

No way, just hit the Ctrl button 2 or 3 times and it will wake up :cool:

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

I am not at home, so I don't have access to my main A/V setup, but I will go back and add that later. It is great to see an A/V forum here!

For now, I will list my mainly audio office system

It is a hard drive based system. I use apple lossless through itunes. All my files are output via USB to my apogee mini dac which also serves as analog volume control. The apogee outputs to two ATC SCM 10 active monitors via DNM solid core XLR cables. Sunds pretty nice, and the monitor is pretty too.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Mr_Angry posted:

• Nintendo Wii

Not to be rude, but why spend so much on a tv and not much on a surround setup? BEAUTIFUL tv though, if I had the means I would certainly consider one.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

expunge posted:

^^ How did you get HGTV & Food Network in HD? Who's your provider?

I have Dish with their HD and Voom packages. I get Food and HGTV in Hi Def, along with the great voom channels. I have so much great HD content, I rarely watch standard def channels anymore.

pastis
Aug 1, 2004

Ouzo is for louzos

TV: Mitsubishi WD-52628
Projector: Optoma HD70
Pre-amp/Processor: Anthem AVM-50
Amplifier: Anthem PVA-5
Blu-ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD10
HD DVD Player: Toshiba HD-A20
DVD-A/SACD Player: Oppo DV-970HD
Cable box: Motorola DCT-3412
D-VCR: Marantz MV-8300
Radio Tuner: Sirius SR-H550
Power Center: Panamax MAX5300
Game Console: Microsoft XBox360
Remote: Harmony 880
Front Speakers: Onix Rocket 750 Signature
Center Speaker: Onix Rocket RSC200
Surround Speakers: Onix Rocket 750 Signature
Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

pastis fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 24, 2007

Nabisco
Feb 26, 2006

Metanaut posted:

Nothing too fancy here, but good enough for me :

Where did you get that TV stand? Im looking for something to go with the TV im getting http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Magnavox-32-LCD-HDTV-32MF231D/sem/rpsm/oid/145316/catOid/-12867/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Nabisco posted:

Where did you get that TV stand? Im looking for something to go with the TV im getting http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Magnavox-32-LCD-HDTV-32MF231D/sem/rpsm/oid/145316/catOid/-12867/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I can't remember, but it was bought from some finnish store. :v:

It's made by Kayman, which is apparently some swedish company. It's also about 4 years old, so I'm not sure do they even make this model anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr_Angry
May 15, 2003
A severe disappointment
College Slice

DoktorLoken posted:

Not to be rude, but why spend so much on a tv and not much on a surround setup? BEAUTIFUL tv though, if I had the means I would certainly consider one.
There is a surround sound setup, there are three speakers below the TV and then I have two on the left and right in the back of the room (that's what the Yamaha DTS 5.1 receiver is for). I'd get a better system but as I live in a condo and can already have people on the third floor know what movies I watch no sense getting more if I can't take advantage of it.