Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

codo27 posted:

2 issues I'm trying to get to the bottom of. Plex works fine on every player except my Roku TV, which stalls at 33% every time. And on the Shield, while it works, there's AV sync issues on virtually every application it seems.

As time goes on I'm drawing closer and closer to actually buying a HTPC

Does your TV have a game mode setting? I was having av sync issues with my Blu-ray player and toggling that setting resolved it. It may have some effect on image quality, but not that I’ve noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You kodi pros out there, I'm sending an old android box to my parents cabin with some content stored on an external drive so they will have poo poo to watch (and me if I'm stuck there). While I'm here and with internet, what do I do to get it to grab all the title/art info and present it as cleanly as possible? I wanted to use Plex but I think either media server wont work or is more hassle than its worth.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You can just let a scraper do that work for you. Then go into settings and find the option to export the library to (separate) files. I think it’s under the library settings. It’s prompt you if you want to export the files as one file (don’t) or separate, then if you want to export the script files, then if you want it to overwrite whatever meta files that already exist or not.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Anyone having strange Shield issues this past week? My 2019 needs a power cycle to wake up and the 2017 isn't recognizing the remote until I hold the select button very close to resync.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone having strange Shield issues this past week? My 2019 needs a power cycle to wake up and the 2017 isn't recognizing the remote until I hold the select button very close to resync.

My remote physically feels like it's falling apart, but other than that my 2019 Shield Pro is doing fine.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

TheScott2K posted:

My remote physically feels like it's falling apart, but other than that my 2019 Shield Pro is doing fine.

The back of my shield's remote is so loose it will just fall off if I pick it up vertically. I replaced it with a harmony elite which I wouldn't endorse (I think they've been discontinued anyway) but I imagine any old Bluetooth remote will do the trick.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Tea Bone posted:

The back of my shield's remote is so loose it will just fall off if I pick it up vertically. I replaced it with a harmony elite which I wouldn't endorse (I think they've been discontinued anyway) but I imagine any old Bluetooth remote will do the trick.

I need the IR for it to work with my soundbar, and the original remote has the advantage of my wife and kids knowing how to use it. I put it in a silicone sleeve made for it, which has worked for a while. Next set of batteries I think I'll try putting the lower half in heat-shrink, see if that keeps the battery door in place.

Had the exact same problem with the Xbox media remote. It's a bad battery door design concept!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The thin remote for my Shield just stopped working so I had to buy the triangle one. I kinda miss the flat one. I wish I had a good universal solution, but I have some kinda CEC fuckery going on and things turn on/off when they shouldn't anyway.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I like the triangle remote so much better than the thin flat one, particularly because of the physical volume buttons and the fact that it uses AAA batteries instead of button cells. The backlight isn't bad either.

gently caress the Netflix button though.

Fake edit: Anybody know if there's a mod to remove the ads from the home screen in Android TV? That was a super bullshit non-optional change.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

SamDabbers posted:

I like the triangle remote so much better than the thin flat one, particularly because of the physical volume buttons and the fact that it uses AAA batteries instead of button cells. The backlight isn't bad either.

gently caress the Netflix button though.

Fake edit: Anybody know if there's a mod to remove the ads from the home screen in Android TV? That was a super bullshit non-optional change.

I use Wolf launcher and like it so much more than the default interface. I don't need or want those dumb lists of stuff, and this lets me just have a grid of apps.

https://troypoint.com/wolf-launcher/

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I don't believe I asked in this thread, think it was in the Windows thread but figure someone here might have experienced it.

I have an arcade cabinet with a PC in it, hooked up to a TV. Everything works great until I turn off the TV. At that point it will no longer have video when I turn the TV back on, which requires me to either hard reset with the power button on the PC or remote in with my other computer and do a reset through windows.

Windows 11, tried multiple HDMI ports and cables and still the same issue.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

KingKapalone posted:

I've been having similar oddities with my 2019, but for a month or so now. Its like it won't do the HDMI handshake. Either restarting my receiver or sleeping the shield tv and waking fixes it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Medullah posted:

I don't believe I asked in this thread, think it was in the Windows thread but figure someone here might have experienced it.

I have an arcade cabinet with a PC in it, hooked up to a TV. Everything works great until I turn off the TV. At that point it will no longer have video when I turn the TV back on, which requires me to either hard reset with the power button on the PC or remote in with my other computer and do a reset through windows.

What kind of TV and how is it hooked up?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

What kind of TV and how is it hooked up?

Insignia 42-inch Class F20 Series Smart Full HD 1080p Fire TV (NS-42F201NA22, 2021 Model)

Connected via HDMI port (Nvidia 2060 card, but same thing happened with a 1030)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

Yeah windows doesn’t like having all its displays yanked like that. I think you have two options:

1. Try mashing win+p and waiting like 15 seconds. Repeat through all the options in the projection menu.

2. Get a headless hdmi dongle thing so windows always thinks it has a monitor. When your tv is on, just mirror the displays. This is what I use for my pc when I just want to remote into it sometimes and other times I want to give it a monitor: DTECH HDMI Dummy Plug 4K 60Hz... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07BK311DC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have a refurb mini desktop waiting for me when I get back from vacation and I cant wait to set it up as my Plex server so my poor Shield can breathe and stop having to tend to that duty, because its been chugging really hard for quite a while now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

tuyop posted:

2. Get a headless hdmi dongle thing so windows always thinks it has a monitor. When your tv is on, just mirror the displays. This is what I use for my pc when I just want to remote into it sometimes and other times I want to give it a monitor: DTECH HDMI Dummy Plug 4K 60Hz... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07BK311DC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

This worked like a charm, though I had to do it with a dummy displayport one since the HDMI port was being used. I'd actually considered doing this a while back but had read that DP didn't work the same as HDMI for dummy adapters, but figured for $8 it was worth a try. Thanks!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Is there a way to use my Logitech Harmony remote with the Jellyfin windows desktop app?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

fletcher posted:

Is there a way to use my Logitech Harmony remote with the Jellyfin windows desktop app?
I've had an old Windows MCE remote receiver since I was actually using XP MCE for my HTPC and that's always worked great with every HTPC app I've tried. Never tried with Jellyfin, but I'd put better than coin flip odds on it working since a lot of the third party remotes for HTPCs emulate the MCE command set. If you find a USB remote intended for use with PCs that has the four colored buttons there's a decent chance it's one of those, and then you just configure your Harmony for Windows MCE or Xbox 360.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I bought a Shield Pro on a whim the other day and it showed up today. How do I get the most out of it? I have a NAS running Plex and also sharing the files via normal SMB shares. I've already set up Kodi with PlexKodiConnect and it seems to be working ok. What other cool poo poo can I do? What do you all do with your Shields?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I mean, honestly? Gaming is how you get the most out of it, but I've never found it that great for that purpose. I find streaming from my PC has just that bit of lag that makes it unplayable for me. You can throw on retroarch and run some emulators, or sign up for the geforce now cloud service.

In terms of differentiating it from other stream boxes, if you take out the gaming there isn't a lot different.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

codo27 posted:

I mean, honestly? Gaming is how you get the most out of it, but I've never found it that great for that purpose. I find streaming from my PC has just that bit of lag that makes it unplayable for me. You can throw on retroarch and run some emulators, or sign up for the geforce now cloud service.

In terms of differentiating it from other stream boxes, if you take out the gaming there isn't a lot different.

And honestly, with Xbox Series Ses out there for $200, the case for gaming on the Shield is tough to make nowadays. I like mine a lot as a streamer but our living room TV being a Vizio SmartCast gives it a hell of a headstart. I'd probably end up putting it away if we had to replace our TV.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
wired to the router using moonlight on x265 has only like 1-2ms lag on my network, which is pretty good. but tbh i just mainly use my shield pro as a streaming box. it has dolby vision and 120fps support (at 1080p) so i can get some kinda use out of this new 4k lg tv we got and kodi doesn't poo poo itself every 20 minutes and stop working until i completely reboot the system like it did on chromecast or the old fire stick 4k so it's been worth it for me. plus i like the remote

site fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 30, 2022

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
This Kodi issue on my Intel NUC has been so annoying: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=361253

About 10% of the time when I try to play something it will hang for a few seconds, then start the video with no sound, then freeze after a few seconds. I've got a Shield on a different TV and haven't encountered this issue, so I'm tempted to ditch the NUC for a Shield because I can't seem to fix this issue.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

fletcher posted:

This Kodi issue on my Intel NUC has been so annoying: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=361253

About 10% of the time when I try to play something it will hang for a few seconds, then start the video with no sound, then freeze after a few seconds. I've got a Shield on a different TV and haven't encountered this issue, so I'm tempted to ditch the NUC for a Shield because I can't seem to fix this issue.

You could run Kodi through a Linux on there and save yourself having to buy another piece of hardware. I don't know if it'll fix your problem but at least it's free.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I can't remember my NUC model numbers but LibreELEC on them has been pretty solid. Occasionally I get weirdness but I can't remember the last time we had playback problems.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've heard lots about moonlight but it never clicked that I could use it with the Shield. I was talking about the Nvidia games app being laggy.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I’ve been a GeForce Now user for a few years and use it play older hitman and Assassins Creed games and 99% of the time it’s great on my 2017 Shield Pro. Handled FarCry 5 and 6 like a champ. IMO worth the $5 a month or whatever I pay for it for how infrequently I play video games anymore.

But that box is my streaming box and I’ve rarely had issues with IT specifically. Usually it’s my Plex Server or something vs the box itself. I did opt for a different launcher, because the ads got to be too much for me.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I can't remember my NUC model numbers but LibreELEC on them has been pretty solid. Occasionally I get weirdness but I can't remember the last time we had playback problems.

Man, I haven't read or seen LibreELEC in a long time! I just replaced my shield pro with a apple tv, everything about android OS is going down the shitter imho. The final straw was pushing ads to the home screen for me that auto played with audio. Might be something small for other people I know but as a goony loving goon I just couldn't stand it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

ILikeVoltron posted:

Man, I haven't read or seen LibreELEC in a long time! I just replaced my shield pro with a apple tv, everything about android OS is going down the shitter imho. The final straw was pushing ads to the home screen for me that auto played with audio. Might be something small for other people I know but as a goony loving goon I just couldn't stand it.

I put a new launcher on my shield at home but I'm spending a couple of weeks with my dad and we're using his firestock and it's so bad. Ads everywhere, rows of apps that are sponsored or not installed. Big banners in the middle of the screen, just gross.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ILikeVoltron posted:

i haven't upgraded to 9.1.1 yet so maybe they got removed, but the options under home screen allow you to turn off video and audio previews. still has the one ad bar on top tho

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

ILikeVoltron posted:

The final straw was pushing ads to the home screen for me that auto played with audio. Might be something small for other people I know but as a goony loving goon I just couldn't stand it.
I hear you, but you know there's a toggle to disable that, right?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tapedump posted:

I hear you, but you know there's a toggle to disable that, right?

For now.

(I returned the Shield. Roku may be kind of crap but I've managed to block all their ad servers so my experience is reasonable)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its funny, I have no screensaver selection on Roku cause I'm in Canada, but I assume thats also the same reason I'm not getting these dubious home screen ads (with audio??) on my Sheild

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Pham Nuwen posted:

For now.

(I returned the Shield. Roku may be kind of crap but I've managed to block all their ad servers so my experience is reasonable)
Yes, and for years. "It might someday" applies to all these toys.

Reasonable relative to having to slum with a Roku, certainly.

I'm sure your pleased. That's a shame.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

weirdly aggro

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

KingKapalone posted:

On wakeup I've been having my x900f just crash and reboot when HDMI-CEC tries to kick in with the shield TV 2017 or something. It's weird. Usually happens if the TV has been off for a few days. Could definitely be a x900f or the HDMI splitter just being dumb.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Dont rule out the Shield. I've had to turn off some of its CEC features because it will just randomly turn on the TV

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Yeah. Downside is I do like having CEC on to let the TV remote control the shield. Pretty sure I've turned off every other part of CEC beyond it making the shield wake up (but not letting the shield swap the TV to it's input or turn the tv on. Had major problems with it and the PS5 fighting each other since they're on the same splitter) and letting the TV remote control the shield.

Edit: I had to disable CEC entirely with the PS4/PS5 (both were dumb and would turn on the moment I swapped to that input even when the splitter isn't turned to it. So I think the splitter may be causing some of the issues since it's letting the TV see everything on the one HDMI port and could be confusing it.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

fletcher posted:

I made a bunch of attempts at fixing this issue, but I gave up this week and bought a Shield Pro. I've been using on for the guest room and it's been great. Should have listened to the thread title all along.

I was glad to see it works great with my Harmony remote as well.