Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Crackbone posted:

Well, it's a little more complicated, but theoretically any card that can read ATSC could read QAM signals. However, right now there are no cards on the market that can properly read and map the qam signals and thus let you watch them. Windows doesn't support it natively either. Thus, even if the hardware can do it, the software won't let you. I looked around and in Jan. this year Avermedia said they were going to put out their own QAM viewing software which they apparently haven't done yet.

The HD homerun is the only tuner I know of that will read QAM and allow it to be viewed in MCE. Even then it takes some hand-tuning of the drivers (you essentially map QAM channels to ATSC equivlents, fooling media center into believing it's OTA signals).

I'm not real up on the Linux side, there a few that supposedly do QAM, but with very mixed results as to it working well or at all.

On top of everything else, are you SURE the cable company where you live is running any of their QAM signals unencrypted? Because lots of cable companies encrypt all their HD channels, premium or not.

As far as I can tell the DViCO FusionHDTV5 cards from DViCO can do unencrypted QAM and come with their software which can display it, at least according to the reviews I've seen on pcalchemy and the like. I was planning on getting one of these mainly for the decent analog tuner and the OTA hd if I can get it, as well as future-proofing in case I can get digital cable in clear QAM. Is there a much cheapter analog usb capture card with similar quality to the analog in those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU