Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

This may have been answered before, I'm really sorry I read through the first few pages and didn't see anything about it, but I am going to ask anyway. I am trying to make a nice little media portal for my TV. I used a big rear end full fledged computer for this task all year at school, Athlon 64 3000+ 1GB of ram 80GB HDD and all the fixings, and it was just so impractical. The thing was a beast as far as power went and the interface, I could never find a good interface for just a media portal and nothing else, basically a box I stream network video from. I am now looking for a nice cheap alternative, really looking into the mac mini or AppleTV because of their size and because they are pretty :3:. I have about 750GB of media on my main PC so there is absolutely no way I am going to offload it directly onto the media box so it has to be able to stream. Wi-Fi is not necessary since I can run a Gigabit Crossover cable between my main computer and the portal. But the machine HAS to be able to handle 720P, have potential for a High-def format playback, most likely by being ripped on my main PC.

As I said before I was leaning towards a Mac Mini with a DVI->HDMI Adapter and a m-audio transit to feed into my receiver. I don't want a full fledged HTPC box because I have no desire for DVR functionality, the TV quality where I go to school is ABYSMAL and is not worth recording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

Is there anyway to remove judder on x264 media playback? I want to stick with coreavc for decoding because it is way faster but I can't get rid of the judder which is annoying as hell.