Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I have a SD CRT TV with an old DVD player, and I was thinking about putting together an HTPC so I could watch movies from the HDD and stream from NetFlix, and record stuff (that's PVR I think?), in addition to I guess playing DVDs and reading the signal from my indoor HD antenna while I'm there. Is it worth getting one in this situation, and would it be worthwhile to upgrade in a year or two for a new HD TV, maybe adding a blu-ray drive and decent sound system?

It seems like most of the guides are HD-focused and with my limited experience (built one computer based on a TechReport guide) it's taking awhile to get a handle on everything.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 2, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Now that Windows Media Center no longer supporting guides for OTA content, are there any good frontends that do for free? Probably gonna subscribe to Plex but I thought maybe I'm overlooking an alternative. I don't care about local media.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Photex posted:

Channels might be what you're looking for

What is that? I'm having trouble googling it.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Jenny Agutter posted:

Just one anecdote but I tried doing this exact migration for my dad, got an approved receiver and Plex pass and on the old wmc PC Plex just completely failed to recognize the receiver (hauppauge USB wintv), total waste of money

Thanks for the ominous premonition. Any recommended alternatives?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I ripped a DVD with handbrake or something and the sound sync is off, I hate technology now. I guess I should just torrent all my DVDs.