Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Biff
Dec 26, 2006

I've always wanted to build a HTPC, but the only hardware I've got lying around is a G4 Mac tower.

Therefore, a few questions:
  • Am I correct in assuming that MythTV is my only option? I'm not new to linux by any means, but I've never come across any outstanding Mac OS products in my travels.
  • If the MythTV/Linux thing is the way to go, are there even any internal video capture cards for the Mac? I did a quick Google search, and only came up with some external POS made by Hauppauge.
  • Lastly, assuming this is all well and good, is it even worth it to use hardware that's lying around my house? Or should I just scrap this notion until I have a few hundred bucks to sink into this project to do it "the right way"

:ninja: Edit: The Mac is a dual-867Mhz w/1 GB of RAM. HDD is irrelevant because that's cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Biff
Dec 26, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Doesn't VLC use it's own internal decoders for playback?

It does for most content (like WMV), but I think it relies on outside codecs for some formats.

Mister Biff
Dec 26, 2006

Juriko posted:

They have some videos of linux MCE out there, and it is what you would expect from a linux media center. Overly complicated, to many features and lovely UI. It honestly has one of the worst UI's I have seen in a media center app, and I have seen a lot. It suffers from "use every square inch of the screen" syndrome and shows no design cohesion.

Seriously, feature wise it seems awesome, but function wise it seems unusable. Lord forbid someone that isn't a serious user has to handle it because I am pretty sure they would die from overload.

Which package was this?

I've seen some screens of MythTV, and they didn't strike me as that at all.

:colbert:

Mister Biff
Dec 26, 2006

Does anybody have any HDD recommendations? What brands to stay away from, what's not worth the money, etc. I'll probably be using SATA, for what it's worth.