Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I hope this is the right thread, i'm doing some very basic media streaming with a powered external hd hooked into my router via usb and an inherited Fire TV stick (i'm not exactly sure when it was purchased, 2018 or 19 i think?), and the stick just doesn't seem to have enough power to play some higher bit rate/file size 1080p videos. with vlc it'll just outright choke, kodi for some reason seems to be better at it, but still stutters occasionally. i have 0 experience with these devices, but i was wondering if there's a similar kind of thing to the fire stick but with some more power...and i guess not having to look at ads whenever i pause would be cool too.

site fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ty. i forgot to mention it in the first post but would that be good enough to also decode (much smaller) x265 videos?

site fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 2, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
perfect. thanks a bunch

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well I already ordered the chromecast but can you be more specific

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh, yeah, ngl i dunno how to access that folder let alone how i'm even supposed to make that file using nothing but the remote. the thing's already shipped, i'm just not gonna worry about it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
wired to the router using moonlight on x265 has only like 1-2ms lag on my network, which is pretty good. but tbh i just mainly use my shield pro as a streaming box. it has dolby vision and 120fps support (at 1080p) so i can get some kinda use out of this new 4k lg tv we got and kodi doesn't poo poo itself every 20 minutes and stop working until i completely reboot the system like it did on chromecast or the old fire stick 4k so it's been worth it for me. plus i like the remote

site fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 30, 2022

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ILikeVoltron posted:

Man, I haven't read or seen LibreELEC in a long time! I just replaced my shield pro with a apple tv, everything about android OS is going down the shitter imho. The final straw was pushing ads to the home screen for me that auto played with audio. Might be something small for other people I know but as a goony loving goon I just couldn't stand it.

i haven't upgraded to 9.1.1 yet so maybe they got removed, but the options under home screen allow you to turn off video and audio previews. still has the one ad bar on top tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
so even though i have updates disabled, google apparently force pushed an update onto my shield tv pro, which not only added an non-removable google tv channel to my dashboard even though i don't even have it installed, but silently switched my auto-update choice from never to on and updated a whole bunch of apps without even giving me a notification or anything. which ended up breaking a couple. so that's nice

site fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 16, 2023