Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm about to buy all the parts for my HTPC. But I have 2 questions.

1. I'm going to use a SSD just for the speed of the OS on it. Should I also get a cheap platter drive since all the media streaming might wear out the SSD earlier? Or should I just buy the one drive, keep the HTPC silent, and when it craps out, I just hope I have an image of the hard drive and clone it back? I figured SSDs are only getting cheaper by the month.

2. I'm going to use something like Linux Mint & XBMC on it. However, I was wondering if there's a program that I can run so that it acts like an Apple Device so I can pipe the audio from iTunes on my desktop computer to the HTPC? It would be nice to use this all with my iPhone, and the remote app, to control the music on my HTPC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Hob_Gadling posted:

For what it's worth, I haven't yet run into a situation where disk speed would be any sort of bottleneck or even important. Noise level and storage space more important to me. This is partly also because I never shut down the HTPC.

If you get a HTPC and build it yourself you probably want to store content locally since it makes everything much easier and neater. Getting a platter drive cancels out the noise benefits you get from SSD. I got one drive, have everything on it and when it breaks will simply install again on a new disk. I've got something like three programs installed, and backing up XBMC means a new system would be up and running in roughly the time it takes to install the OS and download Opera & XBMC. Copying the content over would be the biggest timesink.

You bring up a good point. I do have 2.5 terrabytes in this computer, but that's because one of the 1TB drives is faulty, and I haven't gotten around to sending it back to WD. I guess I should go ahead and do that, and when it comes back I'll put it in the HTPC as it's storage, and just move whatever files to that.

EDIT: Bam, added an eSATA enclosure since the hard drive is a 3.5 drive, and purchased.

IUG fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 24, 2010

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Woo, HTPC built. Just cloning Linux Mint to the flashdrive to give it something to boot to. Unfortunetly, I have to return my graphics card as I got a PCI Express 2.0 card instead of a x16, so it would stand about an inch taller than the case it fits in. Luckily, video can come out of the motherboard without it, however I want a dedicated graphics card just because I might do some emulation on it, and just don't want to take too much away from the processor if I get a full 1080 TV.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

A large portion of my shows aren't on iTunes last I checked, and even if that wasn't an issue I'd still have to break the DRM to play on all my devices. Given that downloading Tv shows hasnt been shown to be illegal, especially since if I really wanted I could rip everything from my Dish Network feed, I think I've chosen the moral high ground here.

But I think you could figure most of that out, right? (see, I can do passive aggression too)

Oh yeah, those copyright things don't do anything and you never hear anything about copyright owners trying to protect it or anything. Nope.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

That doesn't prove its illegal. I know of no court cases trying the legality of downloading TV shows, which is a completely different beast than movies.

I'm just quoting this because it's so loving stupid. "I didn't know it was illegal to murder someone in North Dakota because I haven't heard of any of these court cases".

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Does anyone know if that Windows 7 "Welcome to Windows" animation that starts up before the login prompt can be disabled to boot up faster? I have a suspicion it stays there until the animation is done, and given that I'm on a SSD, maybe it's done loading the OS before that animation finishes. I don't know if I'm wrong or not, but I keep on hearing "boot up in seconds" with SSDs, and my boot time is about 30 seconds still.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

danbanana posted:

i doubt it, especially since there's stuff going on while that animation is playing. running win7 with my SSD only takes ~20 seconds to boot from cold (including loading BIOS), and when that animation is done, EVERYTHING is loaded.

Well, that's my point. I wonder if it's done before the animation is. However, they let the animation finish before moving on, even if the stuff going on behind the scenes is done. I guess the only way to know would be to disable the animation and see, and I was wondering if it can be done or has been done.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is there a Windows 7 app that will let you run an Airplay service? I'd prefer something that could run from the taskbar in the background, so I can keep XBMC in the foreground. I'd like to find the cheapest way to stream my iTunes library (Mac) to my (future) surround sound system. I know there are other options, but if I can make something that's Airplay capable, then I can also stream from my phone.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

EC posted:

See my post over on the XBMC forums. I ended up dropping AppToService and using something else...FireDaemon I think. But it works well enough.

Seems to have major limitations. No music?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

EC posted:

For music, you'll need ShairPort. It works, sort of. If XBMC plays music at any time, it'll prevent ShairPort from playing back anything. I ended up with a remote button that kills ShairPort process and restarts it, which fixes it.

Once it's installed though, you'll be able to stream music from any iTunes library or iOS device to your HTPC. It's pretty cool.

This is awesome, it worked perfectly. I might actually go and disable the music library of XBMC now, for all I'll have to use it. Hopefully playing a video doesn't disable this function, but I'll test that later.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

EC posted:

In my experience XBMC playing any sort of audio/video file would make Shairport not work. I'm sure XBMC is just taking control of the audio device and not letting it go. It would be super cool if someone turned it into a native add-on, but I'm not holding my breath.

I just tested, and I got it to work pre and post video watching. I listened to a song for a bit, then watched an episode of a show, and then continued iTunes on my Mac to play on my Windows 7 HTPC. So I guess there must be a difference in our setups somewhere.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

szlevi posted:

:what: :what: :what:

And just why would you want to do such a thing...?

Did you read his question? He asked for a fix, he doesn't want it to do this.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Could you set up a cron job that would just quit the program at a certain time, and open it at another? Or are you looking for something more elegant? Because otherwise that would allow you to use any program of your choice.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Alright, so I bought a Logitech Harmony remote recently, and I am still programing it all. I also have an IR receiver for my HTPC that runs Windows 7. That receiver did have a remote, and it's own software with it too. However, I'm wondering what's the best way to go about installing something on the computer to make it see the IR receiver, and then how to best program my remote. Does someone have a guide that works well without installing a million hacks or 3rd party programs?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Probably, but you have such a limited selection of stuff there, and it's way overpriced too. I used to work at a Best Buy, and you'll get the option of about 2 cases, no motherboards or CPUs unless you order online and ship to store, and about 3 average power supplies. Any shipping you pay from another website has to be cheaper than them.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Powdered Toast Man posted:

So, I'm trying to cut the cord. What I have:

- PS3 (newest model), currently with Netflix and Hulu Plus

Somewhat related, but you should read this topic:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3482219

Basically, content providers are trying to make it so you need a cable subscription to use Hulu.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is there a MCE IR receiver that is like those micro bluetooth adapters? I have a spare USB port right on the front of my HTPC, and the other one has the bluetooth adapter in it that's the size of the port, and only a few millimeters out from the port. Seeing as I also have a Logitech remote, I don't need a remote for it (although if it's inexpensive enough, I guess it won't hurt).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

jonathan posted:

Last question, is 100mbit wired good enough for streaming 1080p ?

Gigabit is so much faster and not expensive, there's really no reason why you shouldn't get gigabit switches/routers, even if to only future-proof your network. It's 10 times the speed for a minimal investment.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Call logitech support and maybe they will replace it.

I strongly doubt they would:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/23/logitech-q3-earnings-selling-harmony-remotes/

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Stugazi posted:

Plex running on my Grandstream GXP2200 Androind deskphone.

Plex has come a long way. I am loving it. The fact Plex runs on every device I own, and I own many, is sweet.

Playing American Idol? The worst use of office equipment. You're fired.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

kri kri posted:

If you don't need or want to run windows just get a 8 or 16gb SD card for OE.

I've been thinking of doing one of these HTPCs that is a bit more portable. But is it really a good idea to run a OS off a USB or SD card? I was under the impression that a large number of read/writes would quickly fry flash memory like that.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, I know they're inexpensive, I just didn't want to throw it away every few months (it would just seem wasteful to me). How is the boot time on that setup?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Traxxus posted:

I tried mysql once, but it syncs everything with all XBMC installs, including watch tags, separate profile or not. To separate them by profile requires setting up different databases for each one. I ended up just ditching it in the end.

That's it's intended purpose though, so it's not like that was a broken function.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just got a AD10 and all the needed parts to make this HTPC. However, I can't really do that right now, as I need a computer to manage backups for multiple computers, so I was going to do a dual partition for this computer for the time being. I was going to do one partition (32 gig SSD) with FreeNAS for the backup management for the time being, but also wanted to put OpenELEC another partition for it. Basically so when I'm done having it manage backups, or when I want a more portable HTPC I could just grab and go with a USB stick of movies.

My question is, do I have to get another bootloader so I can pick between the partions? So far I have only used Chameleon back when I was running a Hackintosh, but that was a long time ago that I set that up, and probably only for Intel PCs trying to boot OS X (although it would also boot Windows for me when needed). Anyone have a simple bootloader solution for this, or is this more than I need to worry about?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

iceslice posted:

Instead of partitioning you could install either (or both) onto USB thumb drives or SD cards and either plug in or use the BIOS to select what you want to boot from. OpenELEC works great that way.

You could also install a full blown Linux distribution like Ubuntu, and run XBMC from there. I don't know what your back-up management is like but it should be able to provide all of the services FreeNAS does.

Alternatively, and I've never done this, it might also be possible to do something like a full OS on the SSD (with XBMC installed), and virtualize FreeNAS. I don't know what the minimum resource requirements are, but OpenELEC will run on a RasberryPi, and I don't think FreeNAS uses much either. I might mess with it this weekend just to see how horrible it is.

I just bought a 128 gig SSD drive to put in my actual HTPC, and was going to take the 32 gig out of that and use for the Zotac. That's why I was going to try a dual partition, rather than buy some more USB drives.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I have a 32gig drive that's available to me that I'm taking out of another computer. So I figured since I'd have way more space than I need, I was hoping to do two partitions. One for FreeNAS for the back system I'm putting together (going to attach a 4 bay external enclosure), and another partition for OpenELEC so I can detach that enclosure and bring the computer with me with some movies on a thumbdrive/SD card so I could have a more portable HTPC. But I guess if I can't put FreeNAS on a partition then I just won't.

The reason why I'm doing this odd setup is that I am trying to buy a house or condo, so depending on the living situation in the future, I may be able to come up with a better network in the new place, so then this computer would become a full HTPC.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I got a AD-10 and it just won't stop giving some 3 beep error code every time I boot it up. Searching their site or Google doesn't give you any kind of table for what these error codes mean, and they manual is devoid of it too. I've tried a different stick of ram, taking the SSD out, taking everything out, and still nothing when I power it on. I'm already regretting this purchase, so unless their tech support gets back to me soon I'm already left with a bad impression of it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

There's nothing plugged in at all except for the power cable. Doesn't matter if the ram/SSD are in it, or any combination of those two.

I've submitted a ticket to them, let's see what their reply is.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2386006&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=183#post412610643

Find some documentation that describes what that number of beeps means so you at least know what the problem is.

That's the thing, there's nothing on their site, on Google, or their message board that lists what the beeps mean. It's incredibly frustrating.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It's me. I'm the idiot (although Zotac's customer service could be a bit faster).

The three beeps means "no ram detected/bad ram", and I thought it was weird I was getting the same beeps for ram in and ram out. Turns out I wasn't pushing in my ram stick far enough it's its slot before securing it in place. Therefore, basically not connecting the ram at all. I could still see the pins and the clips weren't securing it quite properly in the ram's grooves for the clip. Pushed it in a bit more and then it was complaining about having no boot disk (because I hadn't given it one).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just setup my AD-10 with XBMCbuntu, and it works fine. I dropped in my advancedsettings.xml from another HTPC and it's almost behaving exactly like that HTPC now. I just have to figure out how to set a static IP for the AD-10 and I'll be golden I believe.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Seventyfour posted:

Question: I want to buy a mini system to run XBMC and play music. But I need to stream Netflix, which means I think I need Windows 8 + media center.

I was thinking the same thing for a friend who had a similar request, and I was going to look into how easy it is to jailbreak an Apple TV, since that's cheap, has the other streaming stuff built in, and then XBMC for the local network streaming. But I have to look into how easy it is to jailbreak one now.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ah, I didn't know there was a v3 Apple TV. Well, I'm just trying to find a cheap option for some friends who aren't ready to buy anyways. Maybe I'll do one of those Android on a stick things for just XBMC.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/15/meet-utilite-a-99-quad-core-arm-based-pc-running-ubuntu/

So I just came across this article, it seems like this thing would be perfect and cheap for a HTPC. My AD-10 is also on ubutntu, and it works fairly well (I haven't worked out all the kinks yet, as it's not my primary HTCP).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm just going to warn you that I went the build-your-own route with my main HTPC, and wish that I bought an Apple Mini. Not just because I like the Mac operating system better, but those things are silent, smaller, use less electricity, etc. Really the noise is my biggest problem from my HTPC.

I also have a Zotac, but at least my main HTPC is more powerful (I do have a cheap graphics card in it, since I planned on it also being used for Emulation/Steam, and wanted to at least do the N64/PS1 era stuff). It's hooked up in my living room, and it's noise is noticeable. If I have the volume up on the surround sound it'll drown it out, but it's still one of my biggest issues with the machine. My Zotac isn't as powerful and doesn't do as much, but it's silent.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

shymog posted:

Aftermarket cooling is important. The stock Intel HSFs don't do a great job in a lot of smaller cases because they can't vent out enough air, making them get screamingly loud. My Silverstone ML05B requires that my 3.5" SSD sits above my processor (until I get around to buying a cheap 2.5" to replace it), blocking a vent.

I grabbed a Noctua NH-L9 and it is unnoticeable unless up-close.

I personally will be thinking about this part. However, it's about $60 on Amazon, so that would make Revol's PC about $530. So that just makes it even closer to a Mac Mini in price, and much much larger. The only benefit is the extra storage on his PC, the processing power which you don't really need if it's video only, and being able to run whatever OS more easily.

EDIT: I'm not pushing you towards a Mac Mini, but that's just the computer I wish I bought instead for myself, so I'm comparing it that way for that reason.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

At this point I would say just spend the 200-300 to get an AD-10 or one of these Intel systems people are talking about. I built a system and I'm just so tired with how noisy it is because of the fans. I did make it a bit more powerful as I wanted to game on it. But now that Steam is doing a streaming thing, it's completely useless to have a powerful system at the TV, humming over what you're trying to watch.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, I'm actually going to downgrade my HTPC just to have it silent. Steam Home Streaming is amazing. You just need to be able to use a Steam client on the HTPC, and it will put all the power on some other computer on your network that the game is actually installed on. So I'm trading my HTPC with the semi-decent graphics card for my AD-10 as we speak just to get pure silence from the HTPC.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just found out my Zotac has OpenElec on it, so I'm downloading Ubuntu now to put on it. I want it primarily for XBMC, but if I can find an easy way to make XBMC launch Steam's Big Picture mode on that, that's my goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Nope, it keeps you logged in. I haven't tried with three systems yet (Mac laptop, PC desktop, Linux HTPC), but right now I'm logged in on the Mac and PC, and both Steam clients show the sum of both games.

Notice how Fallout NV has "Stream" as a button on the Mac. Also, that game is obviously Windows-only, so it's not installed on the Mac. And I'm in the Streaming Beta, so that's how I can do it.