Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
It could be disabled in BIOS, for that matter.

Many Broadwell models had them, and they were standard on Skylake models.

I don’t think any Haswell models have them.

Flirc is certainly the correct answer, if needed.

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

buildmorefarms posted:

And it if plays nice with the Harmony (without the need for flirc or similar) then that seals the deal.
Just as a PSA, you may very well end up buying a FLIRC anyway to round out Kodi commands that lack without, depending on how you use your Harmony (what buttons you’re used to using).

That said, yeah, a Shield + FLIRC is the best combo, period. Full custom options.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Is Plex Server installed and updated?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Sooo, the Shield 7 Oreo home background color is a mix of, what, light burgundy and diarrhea brown/green, huh?

What goddamn committee sat down and agreed this looks good?

(It’s loving awful. And, no, it doesn’t change with highlight app. It’s static.)

Real edit: Oh, it’s a bug. Only happens now and then and it clears upon wake from sleep.

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 30, 2018

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
For your gaming use case codo27, the Sheild may be awesome. There are other ways to cobble together the functionality, but there's nothing wrong with buying a device that isn't the lowest-cost theorycraft.

I've got three, and the ability to game with an Xbone controller (or M&K) in any room that has a good TV using the horsepower of your gaming rig is awesome.

My wife and father (and sis and kids at her house) have no problem using it, but they don't game. If you've got a Harmony remote you want to continue using, add the cost of a FLIRC to the Shield and get Kodi (or Plex) working just like you're used you. This last bit may not apply to you.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
To be clear, Kafka, do you mean GeForce NOW, the “game rental service” or actual streaming of your titles from your gaming PC to the Shield?

You mentioned both NOW and Steam cloud.

I read as GeForce NOW games saving to you (Nvidia) Store account, with Steam Cloud saves a different animal. I could be wrong, but that’s how it reads.

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 16, 2018

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Ive been too lazy to setup a Harmony in the bedroom, so I’ve been using the Shield remote forever. Context menu is available through a long press of center button.

What I miss is one button/click subtitles enable, and I have to use the TV’s remote for volume.

I’ve actually gotten so used to the responsiveness of the Shield remote that I’ve begun using it in the other rooms, despite having Harmonys available, though I still use them for volume and activity switching.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Boxee was just XBMC (now Kodi) with a custom interface.

Equivalent would be just about any set top box you like, with Kodi installed.

The Nvidia Shield is what all is cool kids buy, unless you have a use case that benefits from an AppleTV, for example (you don't).

Amazon Fire TV is smith option, but steer clear of the Sticks. They're underpowered.

Is simple to load Kodi on these devices.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
We know the Sheild remote can have its slider disabled, right?

Isn't that like the first thing one ought to do, IMO?

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 8, 2019

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

wolfbiker posted:

how? i went into the shield settings and to the remote control but there wasn't an option. just one to have double tapping the volume slider to mimic the pause function.
I believe it's Settings > Display & Sound > Advanced > Fixed Volume

Thermopyle posted:

Well then how are you supposed to control the volume? Two remotes? What is this, 1999?

Facetious, right? Anyone in their right mind has a FLIRC and a Harmony.

The slider thing is just anecdotal for those still slumming with two remotes.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

RestingB1tchFace posted:

And I have little to no interest in a Shield.
You're a real odd duck, huh? Perhaps a contrarian at heart?

You want to sell a 10 year old paradigm to fund... what? Seriously, I, and I'd guess the thread, would like to know what your endgame is.

Is it that you just really want something you can run Ubuntu on? For the purposes of...?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

um excuse me posted:

Just to be clear this is a privacy setting buried in their settings. You can opt out which alarmist publications conveniently left out of their articles.
Whereabouts does one find this, please?

Edit: Ah, excuse me. Alexa Account -> Alexa Privacy. I didn't check in 'Account.'

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 18, 2019

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
This is all 100% correlatable. Empirically.

Would the adherents to this statement form a line at my left and those in disagreement to my right?

(Across identities, service platforms, accounts, and warring ecosystems... right? Right??)

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Kodi on a Shield as of late won't download subtitles that persist. I've read that since Leia, it can't write to external file shares to actually save a file alongside the video in its folder on the file share, a Server 2012 R2 SMB share.

Telling Kodi to save subs to a custom folder doesn't fix the problem either. They download to inside Kodi storage but are just named as number strings.

Anybody know what I mean? Better yet, is there a work around?

I assure you it is not the share/permissions/etc.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Organic Lube User posted:

Well I've already got frontend devices (two fire sticks and a Chromecast, all ancient 1st Gen devices)
Honest question: You don't just hate the performance of the anemic Fire Stick enough to want to gave replaced them years ago?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

ILikeVoltron posted:

The final straw was pushing ads to the home screen for me that auto played with audio. Might be something small for other people I know but as a goony loving goon I just couldn't stand it.
I hear you, but you know there's a toggle to disable that, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Pham Nuwen posted:

For now.

(I returned the Shield. Roku may be kind of crap but I've managed to block all their ad servers so my experience is reasonable)
Yes, and for years. "It might someday" applies to all these toys.

Reasonable relative to having to slum with a Roku, certainly.

I'm sure your pleased. That's a shame.