Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe
Kind of to go along with what warning posted above, I am interested in possibly rolling my own HTPC box with DVR capabilities. When you have a digital cable box, how do you get around the box and tuning the channels? Do you just split the signal before the cable box and let the TV tuner in the PC handle it or is there something else involved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Fun Shoe
Newegg now has the Intel NUC with support for a 2.5" SATA drive for sale. Only the i3 at this point and it is $50 more than the regular i3 NUC so that sort of hurts the savings of not having to buy a mSATA drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102057

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Fun Shoe

jonathan posted:

Thanks. I found another page with compatible ram, however I'm having trouble finding any online stores with those models.

Ive been looking for compatible brands via this list:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-034586.htm

But pc parts picker etc is coming up blank for crucial and kingston brands with those model numbers. Im confused.

I bought this memory with my i3 NUC and didn't have problems.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LTBLLY/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Fun Shoe

GokieKS posted:

Are you using a wireless keyboard where the function keys (F1-F12) are set as media/shortcut keys by default and you need to press it in conjunction with Fn to make it the normal F1-F12? That's pretty common on a lot of keyboards these days.

My Logitech K400 requires this when I try to get in the BIOS of my NUC or server.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

I wish Tivos could have XBMC installed, or there was tivo for pc.

They are supposed to be getting Plex, although it will be an Opera Store app.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Fun Shoe

cr0y posted:

Just got a new 4k ready TV and a 4k ready intel NUC. The issue I am having is when switching from my cable box (at 1080p or whatever fios is) to the NUC (at 2160p). Kodi resizes to this little thumbnail size instead of its previous fullscreen state. I know it has something to do with the TV switching resolutions and the HDMI handshake but I have no idea how to fix it / work around it. Anyone have any thoughts?

edit: Actually, it *might* be that the NUC is dropping to something like 800x600 when it loses it's display but I have no way of knowing that for fact.

I had the same issue. I just programmed my Harmony remote to close Kodi when going to a new activity (or powering off) and then when I start the Kodi activity reopening Kodi via a keyboard shortcut. If you don't have a programmable remote, I got nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Fun Shoe

Uthor posted:

I got a Harmony 610 that's starting to go bad ("right" no long registers). What's the current replacement for it? Just looking for basic RF functions to control 3-4 devices.

This is still the only basic one that they sell that I know of. I'm thinking about buying 10 extra to just keep for when mine die.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OVECU0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1