Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I guess this is the best place to post, and especially seeing we're on the topic of DLNA with Samsung TVs. I have a 7 series LCD, DLNA compatible. I used to use my ps3 for streaming because for some reason I cant set the refresh rate on the tv any higher than 60hz now (TV is primary display for my PC). I did have it set to 120 previously, but I did a system restore and now, attempting 120 from my settings just gives me a black screen and I'm forced to revert. I'm someone who enjoys the smooth motion that 120/240 hz allows.

Anyways, my main point/question is, I want to stream from my disc drive to the TV via DLNA. Folders are all fine, but I'm having trouble being able to select my disc drive. I've gone into the advanced sharing settings on the drive properties and enabled it and allowed total access, but its not showing up. Whats the best way to go about doing this?

edit: found a free media server called Serviio, works fine.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

A certain batch of rogue mkv files I have wont seek. Not on my Samsung TV, not even in media player classic. What might cause this? They play I just cant do anything but watch start to finish which is a whole lot of fun when your network drops the connection halfway through something

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Help. Put some shows on my laptop to watch at the cabin. One of the files I think it's corrupted. It's a mkv. I can get through the intro and then the film&tv app has an error, in media player classic I get a little further then it skips to the end instead of showing any error. If I try to skip ahead past where it goes bad the time moves after a little while but no video. Any little tricks I can try? No internet out here

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What of note cant a Shield do? My little lenovo compute stick just isn't cutting it

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Is a projector really worth it?

So great seeing the Shield for 169 in the US and Canadian best buy only carries the loving stand for it

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I finally got to try a shield today and wow. I never thought android could be this. Now I need to get one somehow with no money.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Been dying to get a Shield for a while now, and I'm about to come into a little bit of money I can play with. Is it still a good time to buy? There isn't an upgraded model coming any time soon or anything is there? I also plan to use it for the controller and steam/emulators so keep that in mind if you're gonna recommend the apple tv or anything else.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I understand where you are coming from but I'm getting kinda tired of playing Dark Souls and other controller games sitting at my desk, would rather stream them to the TV and sit on the couch, especially seeing I'm hoping to upgrade the TV too later on in the summer.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm less insane over TV as I am my PC setup. Gf will use the TV more than me, and half the stuff I will watch will be old Frasier and Simpsons, in any case mostly old stuff regardless. Though I want to get the best quality possible I'm just not as anal about it when it comes to the TV. Long as the motion is good and everything is nice and sharp. I don't foresee a lot of Kodi use either, I must say I really like Plex for my local stuff

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was gonna ask did you not read the part about the games but you already replied to that post too soooo

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I don't want to "cobble together" anything, I work in IT and the last thing I want is to have to gently caress around with my own stuff at home. I'm usually a thrifty shopper but when it comes to my electronics I don't cheap out. I like to get a deal but I'm glad to buy something from a company I know, that I know works well and does the things I want with little effort. I was mainly just wondering if Shield 2 (or 3 would it be?) was coming any time soon or if another company might have a competing box, because none of the popular apple/Roku/Amazon etc alternatives I'm aware of offers the gaming stuff I really want to incorporate.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The best part though, for those cringing over how much it'll cost. In Canada, it'll cost me about $300 with the controller.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Still cant stream games from Steam so what do I do if I want to play something besides the 2 good games that come out for any given Nintendo console? And the switch alone costs an extra 100, then the apple tv 4K costs the same as a Shield without controller. So double essentially to still not do what I want

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Windows just never forayed well into the living room. I've got an old guy who don't know poo poo, got roped into buying a chromebox with libreelec. Guy went and got a curved (of course) 4K Samsung, has a loving Fluid soundbar and is trying to use this box to get movies onto this 4K TV over fuckin 5mbps DSL. Did I mention he controls the box using FLIRC and what must be the cheapest universal remote from 1995. Of course no universal will control that stupid piece of poo poo soundbar. Ideally yes I'd love to just have a PC but its just never gonna be convenient to control for that purpose.

I dunno. I'm planning on getting the Sony anyway, I do like their built in Android TV and I find it runs quite well compared to literally every other smart TV solution there is. Did someone say I can Bluetooth an xbox controller to it?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

But I already have a One controller. And the newer generation ones do connect to PC without dongle

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Word. Now I've never found Bluetooth on my Maximus Mobo that good but the antenna thing is 2 feet away and if my controller goes under the desk or anything like that it loses signal.

e: on the note I've been trying to make about using the Shield for gaming.. https://www.androidauthority.com/nvidia-shield-geforce-now-884560

codo27 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 10, 2018

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Is the dongle Apple? Is the HDMI cable Apple? Is the TV Apple? I'm sorry, but they just do not and will never like to play well with other things. Do you have two video adapters? A musicians friend MBP was being all glitchy and weird, impossible to use but I managed to turn on "always use the better gpu" or something along those lines and it suddenly started working fine using the Intel iGPU instead of the radeon chip.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah and it'll probably be an extra $40 in Canada due to magical reasons. When you search it right now its not even the first thing that comes up, its some cheapo china android box. gently caress me out

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I think you should buy an actual brand name product. But some of those cheapos are okay. Right now I usually go with the 2gb/16gb S905W boxes. Brand doesn't matter, it's all made up generic China poo poo. Like W95 was the name of the last one I ordered. Maxesla another. Same shape, guts, different names

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

TomR posted:

And as a bonus my Xbox controller connected to the Shield and in home game streaming works really well with it.

Wirelessly? I was wondering about that, I opted for the edition with the controller but would be nice to have the flexibility to add a second to beat the poo poo out of people in MK2

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah the newer ones that dont have a separate plastic piece at the top/front of the controller are the newer ones that are more versatile with their connectivity options. We have a couple of those.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah just buy it already you dummies

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

There is no substitute for the Shield, I know its considerably more money, but its definitely worth it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

bobfather posted:

ATV4k is flawless, especially if you set up an Automator macro to auto-resign and install Kodi on a regular basis, or just shell out for Infuse.

Apple TV is flawless if you gently caress around with it so its possible to install useful apps. No thanks.

Android = google, so on any quality device (not cheap china poo poo) your voice commands should be fine. I only just bought a Home Mini for the gf for Christmas so I guess I'll see how all that works with the Shield then.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

EC posted:

My least favorite thing about the Shield is the remote. It's been very buggy and unreliable for me.

The remote is one of my favorite things, the size and feel of it. I haven't had an issue for far, but it does seem like there may be a couple QC issues along the line somewhere.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just wondering how you achieve that? Are you playing it off a NAS or is there a service I dont know about you can watch it on?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sorry I forgot about Canadian netflix where all we can watch is loving maple syrup slowly oozing from a tree, Degrassi and Beasties.

How does Frasier look on netflix? I've been waiting for a HD release.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I went to BB to get a smart thermostat the other day and they had a deal on, get the Home mini for the price it was previously on sale for, if you bought any other smart switch or plug. So I got a plug and the Home, though I'm not sure how much use we'll get out of the plug. I feel that at the very least it'll come in handy for hard-to-reach christmas lights.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Do not understand the hate for the Shield remote. Gf hates it too. I love it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I dont really find I hit it all that much by accident. And I find ok for play/pause does me just fine. But then I dont consume as much media as a lot of you. Button feel and responsiveness are the biggest things for me and I give it high marks for that.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Inept posted:

This is some silly libertarian poo poo. I'm sure there's some privacy invading thing that you're using that you didn't know about.

Yesterday I texted gf we should go back to this restaurant, a review of which I saw I left on google. "I've never been there" she says. So I go into google maps, search the place, and find the date we went along with a complete list of places we were on that day, with pictures I took along the way.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've had a cold lately, the other night my dad called and he urged me to get some Buckley's. Had him on speaker phone. Shortly after, gf phone had an ad for the same pop up.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thats one of the reasons I got a Shield. I haven't used it much for that purpose but when I did, it worked. I'll have a look at it tonight and see how its working.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Having a lovely couple hours, lovely evening really. Too frustrated to play games. I'll sit down and watch tv for a change. Turn on some Boondocks on plex on the shield. Your connection is too slow to play the content! The shield and my NAS are 2'away from each other connected to the same gigabit switch! Hahaha! DESTROY! DESTROY!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I wonder do I still have those DVDs that came with KFC meals years ago

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

As someone who shamelessly sold those loving cheapo boxes for a couple of years (to combat the crooks in my area selling them for loving 200% markups), stay the gently caress away. Either get a Shield or get a Fire device if money is an issue.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

EC posted:

Shield TV Pro launching this month: https://www.androidauthority.com/new-nvidia-shield-tv-pro-1042791/

The pre-order link on Amazon doesn't work right now though.

Nice, not too much of a performance improvement to make me want to get rid of mine. Plus I dont like that remote and much prefer the current one

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Cant understand anyones issue with the current one. Small, feels nice, does the job. I honestly want nothing more from it

example: My old Samsung 46" is drat near 10 years old, but with one press of the select button on the Shield remote, the Shield, my TV and my R-15PMs which are only connected via aux all spring to life! What more could you want?

codo27 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 17, 2019

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Mine isn't like that at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Also, the volume control is hideously bad.

I didn't mind it at all though it's easy enough to hit by accident. But I've also disabled that so I control by the volume on my monitors