Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If anyone are just using TVHeadend like I was (just letting it run quietly in the background because it's just one of those pieces of software that work consistently), you may wanna check if there's a version that includes all the changes done since the last release.

There's been more than 2000 changes in total, including the ability to define a "Now" in the EPG, full support for Perl-Compatible Regular Expressions in searches, several updates to the EIT EPG grabber, updates to ffmpeg and libav, and many many fixes.

Xenix posted:

I've had the same HTPC for about 11 years now and it's been slowly dying. I'd love to replace it with something like a Raspberry Pi, but they are perpetually out of stock and I don't really feel like buying one from one of the many places trying to make a buck flipping them on Amazon. At this point, I mostly use it to watch Youtube with adblocker. I'd like to replace it and have the following needs and wants:

• Youtube with adblock
  • Stream via Plex, netflix, etc
  • Emulate older consoles (mostly just a want)

Is there something out there that isn't a Pi that would readily do these things without building a new HTPC or fixing the failing components in my current one? I know casting youtube from another device to my TV is probably a better option for the youtube stuff, but the ads annoy me and I'm hesitant to install a third party youtube app (though it looks like Youtube vanced is no longer a thing?)
You might wanna look at something like the Asus PN42.
It's a completely fanless mini-pc with the N100 Alder Lake CPU, a DIMM socket, an M.2 socket, and a HDMI port that supports CEC according to the specs.

I have the PN41, and while I wish I'd known that the PN42 was coming out, I'm still very happy with it.

EDIT: As for ad blocking, that's part of the YouTube add-on, and SponsorBlock can be found in the siku2 repository.
I don't know about streaming; Netflix might work depending on a lot of DRM/authentication factors, whereas Plex looks a lot easier to get to work.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That Works posted:

Cross post from the Plex thread cuz I didn’t know this one existed
LibreELEC is supposedly going to be on the RPI5.

Oh, nevermind. I misunderstood and thought you wanted to avoid Plex.
Seems like the Plex thread is the best place to ask about Plex.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I wanna get an N100 powered HTPC of some sort, preferably fanless - and I'm currently eyeing the Asus PN42.