Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man-Eating Cow
Jan 18, 2001

by Fistgrrl

BrutusBeefcake posted:

Good catch on that. For only $350 for the system maybe I can just upgrade the power supply to something quieter, unless anyone knows of a cheaper system out there.

SeaSonic makes near-silent power supplies that get rave reviews on their quality and performance. SilentPCReview has a few reviews and always give them high marks. Newegg has some starting for like $60 shipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man-Eating Cow
Jan 18, 2001

by Fistgrrl
While I'm here, I'll ask my own HTPC question:

I'm putting together a HTPC/fileserver. One of the things that differs a little from most builds I see is that it'll have 3 hard drives in RAID 5. For cost-savings and performance, I decided to go software RAID, and Linux was one of the only solutions I could find. So far I've been set on Ubuntu due to ease of use and reviews of other people using it on their HTPCs with success. But with that in mind, are there any better OSes for what I'm doing? Has anyone here done software RAID 5 with Ubuntu 7? What filesystem did you choose?