Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I'm looking to turn my PC into an HTPC of sorts in the near future. My plan for now is to convert all my TV DVDs (Simpsons, Futurama, X-Files, Twilight Zone, etc) into files that I'll store on an external HDD and use my computer to play them on my PC. As such, I'm looking for a good program similar to Front Row on OSX that I can use to organize all this poo poo. I've already downloaded AntMovie Catalog, but like the name says, it's more suited for movies. Plus, as far as I can tell it's just an indexing system, I can't browse through it and actually launch any videos.

From what I've read in the thread, Meedio is where it's at for a front end if you don't need any DVR capabilities, which obviously I don't. But according to their website, they aren't offering it anymore. Does anyone know where it's still available? Or any other options that might be better for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Where can I download MeediOS though? The official site links to a sourceforge page, http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=170156

The only download on that page is something called Icon Sets, and is an .mpp file. I have no idea what that is. Is that it?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

EC posted:

That's just it, MeediOS isn't ready to dl yet. There's a code base somewhere, but you're looking for the standard Meedio installer file, version 1.41.

Ah, I see. Did all this stuff with Yahoo buying them out happen relatively recently?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

titaniumone posted:

Okay, people were correct and I've confirmed the Mini will NOT handle high-bitrate x264 streams.

I'm considering buying this as my HD-HTPC. How does that look?

Where did you confirm it, and what's your threshold for "high-bitrate"?

I ask because I just took the plunge with a Mini, and I'm curious how hard I'm going to be able to push it. I only plan on going for 720p max, and even then, not that much stuff. Most stuff I use it to play will be SD.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Boltsky posted:

I haven't tried this yet, but Sapphire Browser may help a bit.

As someone who uses a Mac Mini + FrontRow as their HTPC, this looks very interesting. Does anyone know if it works using this configuration? I know that FrontRow in Leopard is pretty much just a port of the AppleTV software, so I'd think it would work, but I'd like to hear impressions before I go mucking about in my setup which is already made up just the way I like it.

Also, I'm running a 1.66GHz Core Duo Mac Mini with 2 sticks of 512MB ram. Right now I can play everything up to 720p flawlessly, but can't even think about touching a 1080p video. Would putting in 2GB of ram allow me to play 1080p videos, or is it my processor and/or video card that's stopping me from doing so?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

King Nothing posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2690171

At least one person has reported that 1080p videos are choppy on a Mac Mini even with 2GB of RAM. I'm hoping for an update after MacWorld in January.

Ah, thanks. I'm actually glad because it means I don't have to spend any money to update the ram on this machine. It's not like I have a shitload of 1080p movies to play anyway, and I don't really have reason to get them either since my tv is only 720.

Also, I posted this in SH/SC, but maybe someone here would know more:

When I'm playing music on my HTPC (Mac Mini running Leopard and Front Row) but using my iMac as the music source, I get no artwork for any of my songs. Could this be because the iMac is still running Tiger? I know it has the latest iTunes. Is there any other reason this could be happening?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I'm using a 1.66Ghz Mac Mini Core Duo with 1GB of ram as my HTPC. It can handle 720p HD material fine usually, but in the past couple days I've noticed on some HD movies when there's a lot of action going on, there will be slowdown and/or stuttering. Will adding another GB of ram help alleviate this problem, or is it something that can only be fixed by having a faster processor or video card?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I run Plex Media Server on an old iMac with a hard drive that I'm pretty sure is beginning to fail. I keep getting slow performance and "resource loader error" on all my Plex clients.

As such, I've been thinking about replacing the iMac with a dedicated i3 NUC. Right now for the NUC + 8GB RAM (2x4GB) + 128GB SSD I'm seeing around $365. Do these things go on sale frequently? Or at all? Or maybe go all bundled together for under $300? It's not super urgent that i get it right now, so if they do go on sale semi-frequently, I can afford to wait.

EDIT: I should also add that I'm not averse to building a box myself if someone points me to a good setup on pcpartpicker, but when I was looking at it earlier today the price seemed like it was going to come out to about the same as the NUC so I figured it would be easier to just go with the NUC.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 18, 2016

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
drat, sucks that they don't go on sale often. However, I did just find this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102092&cm_re=Core_i3_NUC-_-56-102-092-_-Product

This is the same one I was looking at on Amazon, but it comes with a free 8GB stick of RAM. Will I take a significant performance hit if I run it with 1x 8GB stick of RAM rather than 2x 4GB sticks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

G-Prime posted:

HEVC trashes detail so badly though it's not worth using right now. If that is a thing you really care about though, a Skylake NUC does HEVC in hardware, and it's 20 bucks more than the Broadwell one linked above. Either way, that still won't make a noticeable difference between single channel and dual channel RAM.

drat, I already ordered the other one because it came with the free RAM. On the other hand, like you said widespread good HEVC is still probably a couple years out, so by that time there will probably be something better available so I'm not really stressing about it.

In terms of storage for the NUC, I know I don't need much because it just needs to be the OS and a little extra space for some random files, so I was looking at 128GB SSDs (or 256GB if I can find a good deal.) Is there any significant performance or reliability difference between the 2.5"SSDs and the M.2 style SSD's? It looks like the system can take both, so what's the difference besides the form factor?