Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fnord
Apr 20, 2001
WHAT

RibeyeJaksom posted:

Thank you. I have already looked into ATSC but 1) in my area it would require a roof antenna which is not possible in my current living arrangement and 2) would not have HBO/premium channels which is why I am looking for something that can take the unencrypted signal out of my cable box. HDHomeRun looks exactly what I want, only I hope it can take the signal from my box instead of dircetly from the cable coax and let me use it in conjunction with an IR blaster.

edit: Do I even need a tuner for this? Would a coax video card input and a IR blaster to change the channel work? I guess I need a tuner for stuff like program guide?

Your premium channels will all be encrypted, making the HD Homerun useless. Unfortunatly, the only way to get what you want right now is to buy a brand new very expensive media center with cable card slots. You can thank cable labs rear end hattery for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fnord
Apr 20, 2001
WHAT

dfn_doe posted:

Big cons you forgot:
- Only supports 2 tuners
- No QAM digital cable support

Both of your cons are wrong. I am doing both of these right now.

Fnord
Apr 20, 2001
WHAT
I have the silver antec fusion case as well. I just took out the lcd screen and mounted the microsoft media center IR reciever behind it. The LCD doesn't add much and the IR reciever isn't 100% media center compatible.

Fnord
Apr 20, 2001
WHAT

poemdexter posted:

I have cable with a set top box. My tv in the bedroom can catch a bunch of channels. I'm just worried that I'll get the card, and then I won't be able to catch Noggin or Nick Jr. because they're encrypted. I don't suppose there's a way I can check if they are before I drop the cash on a card is there?

Are the channels in your basic or expanded basic analog packages? Can you receive them without the cable box? If you need the cable box to get them then, unless your cable company is incompetent, they will be encrypted.

Fnord
Apr 20, 2001
WHAT

poemdexter posted:

Thanks for the help guys. I talked to the cable company and everything is encrypted after 71. So I will need a set top box to record the channels I want for my daughter. Since I already have a stb in the living room and this is where the pc will be, I guess I'll have:

coax from wall --> stb --> htpc --> tv.

With this set up will I be able to record one channel while watching another at the same time? Does the stb decode all signal or just the channel I want to watch? Will I need another stb just for my htpc so I can record shows with one stb/htpc and watch tv with another stb/tv and just have some cable going from my htpc to tv for later viewing?

So many questions, but the cable people weren't very helpful with my htpc questions.

I know that this is the HTPC thread, so what I am about to say may not go over very well here but... for your needs and considering the complicated chain of equipment you are going to have to setup and maintain, it really might save you a huge headache to go with you local cable companies dvr service. You are already looking at adding another digital box to make the HTPC work. With my local provider the cost of 2 digital cable boxes is $10 a month, the cost of a DVR is $15 a month. Not having to maintain that HTPC is easily worth the extra $5 if you don't want to make this your new hobby.

Fnord
Apr 20, 2001
WHAT
I have a fusion. The display is worthless and the IR reciever isn't 100% compatible with windows media center. I personally ripped both out, left the black plastic there and mounted my media center IR receiver behind it. At least that way the space was usefull.

Fnord
Apr 20, 2001
WHAT

vanilla slimfast posted:

I get that, I'm wondering why he's buying TWO dual-tuner cards. That is, unless he simply listed it twice in his build list by mistake?

Because he wants four tuners? It isn't that unreasonable of a desire, especially if you are recording TV for more than one person.

Fnord
Apr 20, 2001
WHAT
mulitrec is a killer feature that I would love to have, but you can't really rely on it to always supply you with more available tuners. I have a hard enough time explaining how the DVR works now to my wife without having to explain how sometime we can record 3 programs, but in this specific case we can only do 2 because they aren't the right channels.

Fnord
Apr 20, 2001
WHAT

Crackbone posted:

Right now, those tiny media boxes that Acer/Dell/Popcorn Hour are putting out are pretty compelling, assuming you're not trying to use them as a regular computer. The only reason my full size box is still around is the promise of a true HD-Cable PVR solution that's supposed to be available early next year. And even then I'd guess there will be a external box/usb solution eventually.

From what I have heard of the new cable card decoders all of the work is done on card so you still won't need a beefy computer. Hard drive bandwidth will be the biggest issue when you are trying to record 4 programs at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fnord
Apr 20, 2001
WHAT

Gravitom posted:

Does anyone have a good resource for designing a CableCard HTPC? I've been holding out on building one but with the recent change to allow non-OEM PCs to use CableCards, now seems like a good time.

You might want to hold out a little longer. New multistream capable cable card tuners are coming out Q1 of 2010 that will allow recording 4 programs at a time. Right now you can only get single stream tuners, and they are fairly expensive IMHO.