Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ryokurin posted:

They need to get together. Mediaportal as a front in frankly blows, but the TV part is starting to come up to speed. meediOS is the opposite. it would save a bunch of time to merge the two.

Why do think Mediaportal blows?? I've used about a dozen front ends and Mediaportal is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Allen Fiverson posted:

I'm going to ask the same question here that I've asked at HTPCNews and Green Button and a couple other places. I have a large and well-organized collection of avi movies.

I'm in the exact same position, and use Mediaportal with the MyDVD's plugin. It took maybe an hour total to setup this portion of it, and it works wonderfully.

I have a section in Mediaportal for all my movies, that is powered by the My DVDs addon. I use my remote to browse through the movies, which can be sorted and viewed by pretty much any field possible (director, year, IMDB rating, genre, etc). When I select a movie, I can click Play and either it starts playing (it will play AVI's or automount DVD's), or am told which disc to insert.

All of this is powered by a 3rd party (free) program, Ant Movie Catalog. This is an excellent program on its own. It was able to bring in a text file of all 300 of my movies, and in about 20 minutes downloaded all the movie information and cover art.

Then all I had to tell the My DVD's plugin was where my Ant Movie Catalog was located, and which field to use for the movie's location (on my hard drive or on CD). I was then able to browse through and play all my movies in Mediaportal. It really all works quite well. If you go this route and have any questions let me know.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I posted this in the SHSC parts thread, and got a response that it was my processor causing the problem ...

quote:

I have a Shuttle with a Athlon Venice 64 3000 with 1GB of DDR400 RAM serving as a HTPC, and it's been really chugging on me. Besides general slowness (I use MediaPortal to navigate through my movies), a few recently x264 encoded movies stutter to the point of being unwatchable.

I'd like to upgrade my RAM but I have two 512 sticks in there and would rather not have to replace them with two 1GB sticks. If I replaced one with a 1GB stick, would the benefit of an additional 512mb ram outweigh losing the DDR capability?

That is assuming the RAM is what is causing my stuttering...

The weird thing is that I swear my system used to be able to handle those files just fine. Do I really need a new system to be able to handle 720p videos?

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Crackbone posted:

I didn't say you needed a new system to play 720p, I said I'd suspect (based off my old system experience) that you're probably seeing high CPU usage on x264 720p files - I recall a couple doing 69-80% on my old Athlon 3500.

You didn't specify what resolution these new video are at. If they're 1080p stutter free playback is out of the question. If they're 720p, are the stuttering in general or only in high action scenes? Are all of you files now stuttering, or just the new ones?

You can always download a widget to see CPU/Ram Usage (or just open up task manager) to see what's actually being taxed on your system.

And Nathan's right, it could be a codec issue, have you updated recently?

Why hello there.

Actually, to begin with I should double check to make sure those videos are in 720p, but I am fairly certain they are. The stuttering occurs almost instantly and seems to have nothing to do with the action on-screen. Only the "new" files are stuttering, but I don't have any old x264 files to compare with unfortunately. Xvid and such files are still playing fine, as are my DVDs.

I'm not sure how I didn't think to check for updated codecs. I think my fear is that I must have spent hours tweaking settings based off advise at avsforums.com and didn't want to risk losing that.

I'll do a codec update and check my task manager to see what exactly is being used. Thanks for the advise.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Crackbone posted:

"Tweaking"... does that mean you're doing some sort of postprocessing on these files through something like FFDSHOW? What's your player software setup?

Exactly. I'm not sure how much of an actual benefit I get through that, of course, but I did follow the guide posted here. I'm using MediaPortal as a front-end with MPC as my player (I believe - I'd have to double check that).

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Well, I checked out my system this weekend, and as it turns out those actually were 1080p videos I was trying to watch. And it sounds like my system just isn't capable of playing those, so my only option seems to be a new system. Ah well. Thanks for helping me find the problem though.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Question about the audio for the Revo. I have a receiver but it doesn't have any HDMI inputs, so I guess I'd have to go from the headphone out to a red/white analog cable.

In doing so, am I losing the 5.1 signal?

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

evilalien posted:

That will only get you stereo. You need optical/digital coax sound at minimum for 5.1. Analog multi outs work too.

Oh, that's disappointing. So I'll need to upgrade to a HDMI friendly receiver to get 5.1 sound from the Revo then.

BorderPatrol posted:

Boxee writeup

Thanks for the writeup. I think I may still get the Revo even though it sounds like Hulu isn't really watchable. 80% of my watching is of local media, and a $199 price point is just too good to pass up.

So now with Windows 7 out, I don't need to bother with Linux to get the true hardware acceleration or whatever it was that allows you to smoothly play 1080p content on the Revo?

EDIT: Actually, I suppose I could get a USB -> S/PDIF? http://tinyurl.com/y9kggmu

Strict 9 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 14, 2009

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BorderPatrol posted:

Yup, Boxee uses DVXA on the Windows side now, so no Linux required. DVXA should get ported to XBMC eventually, but Boxee's running with it right now.

I'm still iffy on the Hulu business. I just realized that Flash 10.1 will not install for some reason on my system so I'm pretty sure that if I can get it installed it will run Hulu fine.

Ah, ok. I hope they do that soon as I'm almost done migrating over to XBMC. Though I don't even have 1080P content in there, just 720P, and I assume I could still play those fine even without DVXA on the Revo.

Fist of Fury posted:

That should work great, yeah. You could always justify the added cost of the dongle because it might have some good long-term applications as well (install it in a netbook or laptop) if/when you upgrade to an HDMI-ready receiver.

edit: Turtle Beach is a good brand, but feel free to survey your other options. For instance,

Tons of inputs on this one, and ten bucks cheaper, though added size might be a constraint.

Seems OK for 12 bucks, but one reviewer says that only the L and R channels and not all 6 channels are passed through the digital outs. Really strange if true.

Thanks for those other options. I'm recommending the Revo to my dad who doesn't have digital in but could take advantage of the multi outputs.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I know I was just posting about the Revo, but I'm a bit torn now. I'm wondering if it's not worth the extra $150 to get the ASRock 330 instead. Besides from the beefier system all around, I'm thinking that having the ability to play streaming media out of the box might be well worth it.

Anyone else debate between these two systems?

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just ordered an ASRock Ion 330 Pro from Newegg (they just put $40 rebates on pretty much their whole line there).

I didn't really need the Pro, and already forgot what the benefit was, but with the rebate it was only $10 more and the non-pro is out of stock.

May have bought the Acer 3610 if not for the fact that Acer are some dumb fuckers for discontinuing a product two weeks before Christmas just so they can add a VESA mount.

Anyway, I'm pretty psyched about this. Going to throw Windows 7 on there and pray that with Flash 10.1 I can get Hulu streaming well enough.

If anything I can't wait to finally take advantage of the full 1080p on my Samsung DLP, and also get rid of the four year old Shuttle HTPC I have that's gotten slow and noisy.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just reporting in to say I bought the ASRock Ion 330 Pro last week, and it's been working wonderfully so far, streaming 1080p off a Windows Home Server machine, via gigabit ethernet. I setup XBMC to play using MPC-HD which was surprisingly simple, and don't have any stutter or lag issues.

The computer in general is also very snappy, running Windows 7 64bit. Overclocking to 2.0Ghz took about 5 seconds in the bios.

I haven't really tried Hulu yet because Boxee is a piece of poo poo that never works for me, so I'm looking at installing the Hulu desktop application instead.

I did have one small issue, when I filled up the hard drive to about 95% I started hearing very distinct seeking noises. I emptied about some space and haven't heard it since.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

suddenlyissoon posted:

I don't get all the hate for Boxee. I am a new user to both it and XBMC and in terms of just set up and go, no deep day-long customizations I can't see why Boxee isn't better. XBMC looks so bland and I have to spend days searching for whatever option I'm looking for.

Like someone else mentioned, the skins for XBMC really blow Boxee out of the water.

I did use Boxee for awhile, as it was much friendlier in terms of initial setup than XBMC. But as soon as I wanted to take my HTPC to the next level, I found Boxee really lacking in terms of customization. In the interim, XBMC has also become much easier to setup (though it could use a wizard for new users).

Also, I think Boxee hates me. I have it installed on my third machine now (all Windows), and things like Hulu, Netflix, even Apple Trailers never work.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
For some reason, going 1900x1080 on my htpc cuts about 10% of the edges off my tv, and I have to go down to 1776-ish. Any idea how to fix this? I'm worried I'm not getting true 1080p quality. I have an as rock ion 330 and a samsung dlp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Gunslinger posted:

Play with the overscan slider in your videocards control panel settings.

So doing that still reduces the resolution a bit, but it does still say 1080p, so I suppose that's good enough?