Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aaearon
Jul 9, 2001
Can anyone recommend me a tv tuner card for my situation? I'm returning to university in August and I rather leave my 6 year old, heavy, tv/vcr combo at home and just use my computer as a TV with my Dell 2001FPW. I'm looking for cards that can do QAM and ideally has two tuners (so I can record and watch at the same time), but two tuners isn't that necessary.

Does anyone have experience with the AverTV Combo PCIe tuner? For the single tuner card, I've also read about the Fusion5 HD Tuner.

Can anyone input on the two above cards or any other HD tuner card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaearon
Jul 9, 2001
On the specs for the AverTV Combo Card, according to http://www.aver.com/mpd/combopcie.html can do QAM:

quote:

Easily watch analog or ATSC TV with the Unencrypted “Clear” QAM capable TV Tuner.

Or am I missing reading it and the QAM doesn't apply to the analog part?

Aaearon
Jul 9, 2001
Ah okay. I don't plan to use MCE at all. I'll be running Windows XP since it I'm going to be using my desktop machine. From what I've read in avsforums, in my area they do send the non-premium channels unencrypted and I've also read in numerous places that cable companies are required to send their non-premium channels unencrypted by law.