Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Wood for Sheep posted:

I'd go with the second setup for a few reasons.

Ok, thanks for the advice. I think I will bump it up to 2gig and the 6750, it's only like $50 more, so why not? :)

Edit: what's a good CPU cooler for the 6750? I want to get one as silent as possible...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Wood for Sheep posted:

I have not used a cooler in any of my computers, but this Coolmaster one seems to be fairly good as far as specs. It's aluminum and copper so it might not be the best, since a full copper one would reduce more heat) but for the price (read: free) it might just do the trick.

If you want a better one, as far as I know the things to look for would be copper heatsink, the higher AirFlow:Size ratio the better, and then finally the lower dB output the better.

Does the stock one produce a lot of noise? I'm not going to be overclocking the thing anytime soon, so noise is the first priority for me.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Treytor posted:

I have one and it does exactly what it's supposed to.

The software solution to playing the content is still very new, as Cyberlink Power DVD Ultra Deluxe super edition is the only player I know of that properly plays Blu Ray / HD DVD discs. Other than that, it works great.

What are the specs of the machine you're using it with, out of curiosity?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Am I the only one that shudders to think of any Nero software that does this? The latest releases of Nero All In One Burning/Printing/Scanning/Um...Security?/Ripping/Editing software has not made me very confident in anything they might put out.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
It shouldn't be, assuming everything is done correctly? What version of Windows at both ends? Are you connected wired or going wireless? Do you have any a/v software that could be accessing the files as they are streamed?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Holy poo poo that is not normal. You've got an issue somewhere. My first guess would be a/v software that is trying to scan the file while it is being accessed. Second to that, I take a look at the both PCs hard drives (and general hardware) to see if there is any issue copying files locally, to rule out hardware. Then I would take a look at the actual network setup (a good way to test this is to setup a FTP server on both ends and transfer files that way, ruling out problems with Windows networking). If that isn't it, I would start trying to rule out network cards, cables, driver versions, Windows updates, etc.

Just know this: in a wired environment, you should be able to stream extremely large files with no problems at all. I'm talking 10gb rips and what not.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Saukkis posted:

Better way to test that is use a special testing software like Iperf, netcps or netspeed. These rule out harddrives testing only the network and they don't need to be setup like FTP server.

This is true, I just figured setting up filezilla or something would be easier for a non-network kinda guy (no offense Gr1mm).

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
If you look at Media Portal, check out Meedio as well. The latest batch of plugins and themes give it a nice clean look:

Even though Meedio is "dead" there is a very active community behind it. People are also working on MeediOS, which builds on the same concepts as Meedio.

VVV I hate to sound like a goddamn shill, but Meedio has a few plugins and such that will integrate SageTV seamlessly.

EC fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 8, 2007

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Guinness posted:

Meedio seemed good, but it doesn't support my TV Tuner, and it's no longer in development, so I'm SOL there.

As the official Meedio fanboy of the SA community, I feel the need to chime in here. For your TV tuner, I believe you could probably use the BDA plugin to create a graph and then have Meedio detect the card. Normally this isn't very difficult, and has more to do with making sure you're using the right decoders to get everything to playback smoothly. If you have any issues, you can post threads on the MeediOS forums, which is where all the new development of Meedio is located. I think at least one or two people have that card working, but I don't really get into the recording TV scene so I can't help that much.

And there is a LOT of new development. Check out the MeedioVintage theme (I posted some screens on the last couple of pages) as well as TVNight/MusicNight. Good times.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Media Portal II released for those who care. Just installed it and starting to play with it now.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Harkano posted:

As the official Meedio(OS) fanboy could you post a link to a good in depth tutorial for using TVNight (and to a lesser extent) MovieNight to turn a folder of "Show Name/Show name s3e01.avi" into that crazy little database that Meedio uses?

Hey, no problem, just look for the TV Show Setup category in the first post. That is for one specific theme, but if you follow those directions, you'll be good to go for all themes. Essentially it breaks down like this:

1) Use a tag mask importer to import you files into a database with the required info (for you, it would be: \<>\<SeriesName> s<SeasonNumbere<EpisodeNumber>.<>). This creates the intial datase.

2) Use the TVNight importer on the database, which will scan your files and grab matching info from The TVDB, and download all sorts of nice data about your TV shows, like Banners, Season Images, Plot Summaries, etc.

3) Point the TVNight module to the database, and open it via the main Meedio app. You're good to go.

If you need help, IM me, I'm usually on and have helped a number of newbies through the process.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Harkano posted:

I'm now vaguely stuck on tv shows due to my inability to modify RegEx. I can use that tutorial's default one to grab all the shows which i moved into "Series Name/Season x/filename.avi" format. Is there a guide or a massive expression which can grab all formatted in 3x07 308 s3e09 etc? Theres too many to change individually so it'd be great if it could take them all.

You can try this one I use:
code:
(?:[^\\]+\\)*(?<SeriesName>[\W\w]*?)[ .](?:(?:[Ss](?<SeasonNumber>[0-9]{1,2})[Ee](?<EpisodeNumber>[0-9]{2,2}))|(?<SeasonNumber>[0-9])(?<EpisodeNumber>[0-9]{2,2}))(?<Comment>.*)\..{3,4}
That may or may not work with all shows. Its going to be hard to get everything imported correctly with a lot of different file naming schemes. You can use multiple expressions, though.

Also, if you want to quickly standardize your naming scheme, its pretty easy. Once you get all of your episodes imported and info grabbed from TVNight, you can use a plugin called MeeFileRenamer to renamed the files/directories into a format you like. So now when I grab a show, it gets renamed to whatever it was to \SeriesName\Season 01\SeriesName - S01E01.ext automatically.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
uTorrent especially doesn't eat up resources. I had some issues with Azureus (sp?) and memory usage back in the day, though.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
You can buy a USB-UIRT box, but I think you can save some cash buying a remote/receiver combo.

Edit: to flesh this out a bit, I have a Harmony and the USB-UIRT, and it works very, very well. I don't like the directional keys on the Harmony very much, but thats life.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

TPS Report posted:

I came across this today. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880100951

It was the cheapest usb IR receiver I could find. Could I get this for the receiver and then download drivers for a remote and use my harmony?

Also, what benefits does USB-UIRT give me? $50 seems a lot to just be a receiver.

Thanks

As long as you can find software that will listen to the receiver and translate commands into keypresses, you're in business. I think HIP does this, and I know Girder does. Also, some of the front-ends out there (like Meedio and Media Portal) have built in features that will allow you to listen for commands.

As far as using a USB-UIRT, when I first started looking into this there weren't widely available IR receivers like there are now, so most people were using a USB-UIRT. I'm not sure what other advantages it has nowadays, though, which is why I mentioned you could find one cheaper.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

sigma 6 posted:

Thanks to whoever mentioned "Media Portal". I used to use "Meedio" but I guess it got bought by Yahoo. Going to try Media Portal as a suitable replacement. Not a MCE fan and not ballsy enough to learn linux just for MythTV.

I hate it when I read this. :( Meedio's IP was bought by Yahoo, and they promptly released a new version and it hasn't been seen since. Meanwhile, some people, like myself, still use Meedio every day and love it, and there's a lot of really cool stuff you can do with it. Media Portal is great, but lacks a lot of the neat stuff Meedio has (although it does have a nicer looking interface with the animations and what not). MeediOS is a brand-new software product (open source) that is taking the core foundation of Meedio and running with it. Not finished yet, but people are working on it.

I'm ordering new parts for my HTPC! Are there any guides out there for post-processing normal divx/xvid movies to make them look better? I think I've read that it is possible, but I'm not sure about how to go about it at all.

And can you use a HTPC to upscale DVDs like a lot of the stand alone players are doing nowadays?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Have you looked at any of the Silverstone products? I have one of their larger cases (the silver version of the LC13) and while a bit expensive, they are really, really nice. Some of their smaller stuff might be up your alley.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Yeah, why have a surround system that can't do digital input?

If I were you, I would try to swap it out for something a little better. My $500 Onkyo HTIB setup has 3 or 4 digital inputs.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Ok, can someone explain to me the difference, not necessarily in specs but rather real world application, between the following processors:

Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 Allendale 2.4GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

I'm pairing it with 2gb RAM and this motherboard. My goal is to be able to decode 720p/1080p stuff with no issues, as well as be able to expand with a new video card in a year or so if I need to. Obviously there is the difference in cache, FSB, and cores, but I don't know what that relates to in real life. Does one run cooler/quieter than the other? I wouldn't mind saving the scratch if possible, but would rather spend the $25-30 if its going to save me in the long run.

Edit: according to this, I would be better off with the Conroe. I'm not going to be ordering until this afternoon, so if anyone has any opinions let me know.

EC fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 16, 2008

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Ok, I've got the CPU, and I've got the memory, so I'm down to choosing a motherboard. I'm debating between three:

GIGABYTE GA-73PVM-S2H LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 7100 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
ABIT Fatal1ty F-I90HD LGA 775 ATI Radeon Xpress 1250 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
ASUS P5E-VM HDMI LGA 775 Intel G35 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Lets assume price isn't an issue for now. In comparing the items, the big difference is the number of various ports (not a real issue for me) and the video chip. I'm more concerned about getting a decent display on my TV (preferably something with a matching native res) and decoding HD files. What do you guys think?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Anybody seen this guy:

http://www.everythingusb.com/hauppauge-hd-pvr-14104.html

I'm wondering if its going to be a solution, assuming you have the hardware, to grab HD content directly. Would be nice for capturing your own HD stuff.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
As an addition to SnatchRabbit's question, is there any compatibility issues with using the same 360 controller for the 360 AND the HTPC?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Goldmund posted:

Has anyone played around much with the Linux port of XBMC? I will be using the guts of my current system in a HTPC build in the next month or so, and I'd really love to put XBMC on it.

I could never get it working reliably in a virtual machine, so never took the plunge to try and dual-boot a system. I'm not a linux guru by any stretch, though, so take that for what you will. The next time I rebuild the machine (shortly) I might toss a linux partition on there to screw around with.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Edit: Wrong thread!

EC fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 25, 2008

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

dfn_doe posted:

Sage support firewire capture and seems to have a reasonably large user base. As for the other stuff I don't know, but since firewire capture is the one 100% needed function for you I'd start with figuring out what supports that and sage is the first thing that comes to mind.

And if Sage doesn't do all that other stuff, you can tie Sage into Meedio fairly seamlessly and it will. A little more complex, but HTPCs usually are. :)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Well, I had an interesting HTPC night last night. I friend of my recommended an Acronis product to create an image of my HTPC, and then do a restore after I install the new mobo, CPU, and memory. Unfortunately, that didn't work, for whatever reason.

And then the existing OS install wouldn't boot, even in safe mode.

Then my vanilla OS install I keep around for cases like this refused to boot, even in safe mode.

So I figured I would do a repair install, which is when I found out my MCE disc was either scratched or not working.

Which made me find another disc, which worked (yay!) but I couldn't find the valid product key for (boo!).

:( So, I figure I will do a complete reinstall of everything, assuming I can find my product keys/install discs. I should know better than to try and do something like this on a weekday.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

furushotakeru posted:

A follow up, even though it seems that no one cares: Upon further experimentation it seems that the unit only has trouble with 1080p when there are huge numbers of moving objects on the screen. I was playing a 1080p backup copy of my Planet Earth disc and the only parts it had trouble with (which was what I was referring to before) were two scenes where they were showing massive flocks of thousands of birds taking off. Everything else played without any trouble.

Overall I am very satisfied with the unit, especially for the cheap price.

This was the first file that I tried on my new HTPC to see if it could handle playback. :)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
You have MCE, which one of the versions of Vista has built in, as does XP. Its ok, especially if you want to record stuff.

One the standalone side, you have Meedio, Media Portal, Sage, and Beyond TV. Meedio and MP are your best bets if all you need is the ability to record stuff. Both are nice looking, have lots of nice plugins that will do various htpc-related stuff very well, and both have active communities going at the moment.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

dfn_doe posted:

I'm skeptical about anything hitting that price point and being feature complete for playing the full gamut of SD and HD content. But please keep us updated.

It really depends on how much stuff you have already. I just did a really nice build for about $320, but that was mobo/cpu/memory only.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
The nvidia drivers are pretty drat cool. They have a "adjust tv size" setting or something that basically let me choose my res, which ended up being some crazy rear end 1216x668, but looks great!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

mattfl posted:

I had the same problem with my plasma an the built in graphics card. First thing I had to do was update the ati drivers, I also went from using HDMI to using VGA and I think ultimately that allowed me to choose the true native resolution of my plasma.

Yeah, looking back I really should have picked a tv with vga input. I hooked up my father-in-law's laptop up to his new lcd and it worked perfectly, even with the built in Intel graphics chip.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm putting some parts together for my server (WHS) and wanted to get some opinions on it. I have the case/psu/etc:

Motherboard: BIOSTAR P4M890-M7 TE LGA 775 VIA P4M890 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
CPU: Intel Celeron 420 Conroe-L 1.6GHz LGA 775 35W Single-Core Processor Model BX80557420 - Retail
Memory (x): CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory Model VS1GB667D2 - Retail

That board was the best board I could find that has 2xPATA ports, and I have a total of 4 PATA devices currently, and didn't want to buy PCI IDE card. That and it has SATA ports, so I'll be able to slowly upgrade and switch over to SATA going forward.

Total price is $130 before shipping, which isn't bad. What do you guys think?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Wood for Sheep posted:

I have never used Linux before, but I think I am going to try it this time. Meedios is the Linux OS for HTPC's right? What about the XBMC port I remeber reading a few pages back, is that out now?

MeediOS is a new, open source, windows based HTPC front-end. It is still in early, early alpha.

Meedio is an older, closed source windows based HTPC front-end with a very active community and lots of plugins. Yahoo! bought the IP and then basically abandoned it, but the latest version 1.41 was released for free and is still used by lots of people.

Plugins and themes available from OpenMAID: http://www.meedios.com/OpenMAID/
Help and support for plugins and themes available on forum: http://www.meedios.com/forum/index.php
meedioVintage theme support thread has tutorial for configuring most of the basic plugins that would work out of the box with just about any theme: http://www.meedios.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1477

I personally haven't been able to successfully get the XBMC Linux port working yet, but am going to give it another try soon since it is just too drat awesome.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I just wanted to show everyone the coolest HTPC case ever:

Link

Its wall-loving-mountable, yo! :D Their other models are pretty slick as well, although none are available in US yet. If I hadn't just bought a Silverstone several months ago I would be buying the TF8. They'll probably all cost a goddamn fortune.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Randi Challenger posted:

That is hot as poo poo but room for 1 HDD is a bit rough.

Yeah, I noticed that, but I would wager that most people* use their HTPC simply as a playback device, and have recording, file storage, media streaming happening on another machine.

*most people being the small niche who have HTPCs, more than one computer, have setup a PVR before, and would actually consider hanging a HTPC on the wall underneath their flatscreen. ;)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Wood for Sheep posted:

Also, those codec packs that I have tried in the past have made it unable to use Media Center to watch anything. And that doesn't really help me since that was why I posted in the first place. Next time, if you really can't help then don't say anything, it makes everything easier.

As for the files, when searching download services I only come across .avi which are not HD. They can be upscaled fairly well, but they're not true HD. So my question was where does someone find HD content files to play? How do you rip DVDs to your harddrive and have Media Center recognize them, and then upscale them? Maybe I am just missing something, so tell me what I'm missing.

Jesus christ you're an idiot. Talking about downloading illegal content will get you banned, which is why that guy linked you to the MS site.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Strict 9 posted:

Exactly. I'm not sure how much of an actual benefit I get through that, of course, but I did follow the guide posted here. I'm using MediaPortal as a front-end with MPC as my player (I believe - I'd have to double check that).

I saw that the other day, but the OP is over a year old and I've been looking for something a little newer.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Honestly, you would probably be better off getting an old Xbox and modding it. Its just about the best thing out there for what you're trying to do (minus the recording and HD antenna), the only downside is that it can't handle HD material.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Kresher posted:

I have a gaming rig with Geforce 8800GTX(2 DVI, and 1 S-Video), and I wanted to use my 52" Sony Bravia as the display.

So, I picked up a DVI-HDMI cable and connected my PC to the TV, and the boot process shows up on TV. Immediately after that, the screen goes black and nothing happens anymore.

How should I go on about using my TV as my PC's display? The TV has a PC input in the back with a VGA port and a stereo speaker port, but I want to use the HDMI if possible.

Secondly, can I get a TV tuner card and connect it to my satellite set-top box to record HD contents?

Thanks in advance.

Your default resolution is probably out of range from what your TV can actually display. Check the TVs native resolution and configure it to that.

I would try both the VGA and HDMI input and see what works for you. Sometimes HDMI can have a certain amount of overscan which VGA doesn't, although some TVs have a poor VGA connection. Its worth looking at both.

A TV Tuner card will allow you to catch basic, non encrypted channels from either your cable provider, SD antenna, or (if the card supports it) an HD Antenna. Currently there is no way to record HD stuff from a satellite for the consumer, although there are a couple of devices coming out this year that could possibly change that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
It should be noted that while MeediOS is the Open Sourced successor of Meedio, it is still far from primetime. Meedio, on the other hand, still has active plugins and a great community, even though there hasn't been an update to the core product since Yahoo! took over the IP.

Edit:

The_Franz posted:

XBMC, now available under Windows and Linux although it is very much a work-in-progress right now.

Have you managed to get this working in windows or linux at all? I had no luck getting connected to shares and the like.

EC fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 7, 2008