Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

TheScott2K posted:

Y'all are still out there huh

trying to think how you coild hand a remote to someone and ask them to launch the apps that were listed and have it work near as well as the shield interface (which also has significant issues but christ)

I remember folks making HTPC-specific active desktop backgrounds on XP, and I feel like that would be still be better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Amazon has Shield TV Pros back in stock if you, like me, have been looking for them.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

ChiralCondensate posted:

link? They're not in stock on my screen..

It was this one but it's already sold out. I signed up for one of those stock monitoring services and ordered it as soon as I got the email.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
My shield pro came in and I love the new remote. It’s got a good weight and the buttons feel clicky like I like.

I won’t have time to get it setup until next week, but I’m not looking forward to logging into every single streaming app ever all over again.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Has anyone managed to get Kodi to go to the Shield's home menu using the BACK command? This seems to work in most apps, but I can't find anything besides people saying to use the KeyMapper add-on to change the BACK button to close.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I don’t know why I didn’t think about it before, but I just assigned HOME to a button on the Harmony so I don’t have to use the screen anymore.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Can someone explain a plex issue to me?

I have a Plex server setup for my father-in-law on his laptop. On my server, there's a large collection of tv shows. I don't want to point plex at the entire collection, because the dude doesn't deal well with overstimulation. I do want to add specific tv shows from that collection, though, so I went to the tv show library and added a folder that looks like this

/videos/tv shows/show name/season 01/show name - s01e01.ext

If I point plex to /videos/tv shows/show name, it doesn't scrape correctly. If I point plex to /videos/tv shows/show name/season 01, it scrapes fine.

For the meantime I just added each season folder individually, and it worked out fine. In the future I just don't want to have to do that.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

TheScott2K posted:

Might just be better off making a TV Shows For Dad folder and a library that justs points at that. Yeah you'll duplicate some poo poo but space is cheap.

Why would I do that? Again it works if I point it to the season folder, just not the show folder. I figure it's some weird scraping issue.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
My server seems to be struggling running Plex (streaming to an AppleTV) while also running SAB/Sonarr and me streaming 4k stuff to my Shield. I'm looking into building a new server, but it just occurred to me that I could potentially move the Plex server to the Shield and get some more life out of my existing server.

Is the (new) Shield TV capable of watching a 4k/HDR file over the network on top of streaming a different file to a different device? The server and Shield are connected via ethernet, the AppleTV is wifi.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Wait you plugged the mic into the Shield? That's pretty slick. The lack of voice search is my one complaint about the Harmony.

Also if you have an iPhone the Harmony widget is surprisingly good. I just wish it had volume up/down.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Can the newer Apple TV's play 4K/HDR mkvs natively via Plex, or does it still need transcoding?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I don't think file size matters as much as having a server that can do hardware transcoding. And you should re-rip or re-download those AVI files as opposed to trying to convert or compress them down.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
This is probably not the right thread but here goes: I've got a ShieldTV running Kodi, connected to a gigabit network where my Synology NAS lives. I can play massive 4K/HDR stuff off the server with no problems.

On the server is a share with about 1000 folders in it, each with one or two video files in it. They aren't movies or tv shows (it's mostly horse videos lol) so using the video library won't work, I just added the folder as a source in Kodi and browse to it directly. The problem is that it's extremely slow when backing out of a folder to the main list or when deleting a folder. Each takes about 5-15 seconds. I've tried connecting via NFS and SMB and didn't see much of a difference, so I'm assuming Kodi is the problem. Anyone have advice?

I'm also open to getting a whole other video player on the shield I guess?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

SamDabbers posted:

I like the triangle remote so much better than the thin flat one, particularly because of the physical volume buttons and the fact that it uses AAA batteries instead of button cells. The backlight isn't bad either.

gently caress the Netflix button though.

Fake edit: Anybody know if there's a mod to remove the ads from the home screen in Android TV? That was a super bullshit non-optional change.

I use Wolf launcher and like it so much more than the default interface. I don't need or want those dumb lists of stuff, and this lets me just have a grid of apps.

https://troypoint.com/wolf-launcher/

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

ILikeVoltron posted:

Man, I haven't read or seen LibreELEC in a long time! I just replaced my shield pro with a apple tv, everything about android OS is going down the shitter imho. The final straw was pushing ads to the home screen for me that auto played with audio. Might be something small for other people I know but as a goony loving goon I just couldn't stand it.

I put a new launcher on my shield at home but I'm spending a couple of weeks with my dad and we're using his firestock and it's so bad. Ads everywhere, rows of apps that are sponsored or not installed. Big banners in the middle of the screen, just gross.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Xenix posted:

I've had the same HTPC for about 11 years now and it's been slowly dying. I'd love to replace it with something like a Raspberry Pi, but they are perpetually out of stock and I don't really feel like buying one from one of the many places trying to make a buck flipping them on Amazon. At this point, I mostly use it to watch Youtube with adblocker. I'd like to replace it and have the following needs and wants:

• Youtube with adblock
  • Stream via Plex, netflix, etc
  • Emulate older consoles (mostly just a want)

Is there something out there that isn't a Pi that would readily do these things without building a new HTPC or fixing the failing components in my current one? I know casting youtube from another device to my TV is probably a better option for the youtube stuff, but the ads annoy me and I'm hesitant to install a third party youtube app (though it looks like Youtube vanced is no longer a thing?)

Easy answer is the Shield TV, depending on the consoles you want to emulate. I use an app called SmartTube for YouTube, which kills ads and even sponsor segments, all with a customizable interface.

The default android tv interface is horrible nowadays imo, but you can install a different launcher and make it extremely simple. (https://www.techdoctoruk.com/custom-launcher-for-nvidia-shield-remove-adverts/)

Emulation works through like PS1 I think? I mostly moved that stuff to the XSX which is way more capable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

SamDabbers posted:

You can get Alder Lake mini PCs for less than the Shield TV Pro and they have AV1 hardware decoding. Something like this

What OS are people using for these? I never want to book a Windows box to my living room tv again if I can help it.