Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Please press [ENTER] to continue to the
Las Vegas Bowl
Anyone have advise on where to shop for a HTPC case? I usually shop at newegg but their selection is pretty lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Las Vegas Bowl

KublaKhan posted:

Lastly, I don't understand how I should go about connecting the audio. I have a SB Audigy with a digital out plug and from what I understand, I'd need to buy this:
http://www.buy.com/prod/creative-sound-blaster-digital-i-o-module/q/loc/101/202268788.html
to be able to connect it (digitally) to my home theater system. But then I read that if you go this route, only DTS encoded streams will utilize all of your speakers, everything else will be in stereo (2 speakers). How should I go about this? Thanks.
Ditto here, I've been wondering this for a few weeks and I can't seem to get a straight answer. I asked a guy at Fry's and got one answer, then I decided to ask another to see if he would say the same thing. No dice.

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Las Vegas Bowl
Ok I've seen all the love of Media Portal cause it's free, but compared to the retail products out there, does it hold up?

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Las Vegas Bowl

Juriko posted:

Like most free products the functionality is there ,ad the look is close, but the setup and maintenance is all over the place. After you get it setup and stable it is awesome, but it can be a little anoying to setup depending on what you want.

Ok here's a follow up question. If you had the money and the choice to use anything out there, which one would you load up?

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Las Vegas Bowl
So what do you guys think about media extenders? I was looking at this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124282

I'm thinking it might be nice to continue to run my media stuff on my computer upstairs and use this to access it in my media room.

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Las Vegas Bowl
Anyone running MediaPortal v2? Should I use that or just the v1?

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Las Vegas Bowl
I've been planning on building an HTPC for awhile now, but I can't seem to find a decent answer to this question. Is there a way for me to record content off the digital cable I get from Comcast? Has anyone here done it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Las Vegas Bowl
Thanks for answering my question. I did see the FAQ, but this thread started such a long time ago I didn't know if that answer was still valid or not.

I was also asking cause Comcast just converted everyone in my area to a digital signal (yea great timing there with the over the air conversion going on). But basiclly the only thing they are transmitting via analog now are channels 2-32. Used to be 2-72 were analog. The loving thing sucks because they give you lovely remote and cable box that has to be on every TV you have. Flipping channels sucks too cause it's take a good half second to a second before you see the picture from the next channel.

Thanks for "Improving" Service Comcast!