Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kepp
Jun 26, 2002

Read my books!

Vladimir Putin posted:

Should I just be able to throw in a HDTV tuner card in there and be able to watch some HDTV ? Just how much computing power does it take to display HDTV anyway ?

I'd also like to see a kind of 'bare bones' example of a simple HD capable PC. My 2.4ghz P4 stutters pretty badly trying to display HD content and I'm looking to put together a cheap box to do it for when I get an HDTV this summer. Right now I've been leaning to the hacked Apple TV because of the price but if I could integrate OTA HD, Media Center and DVR features that'd be something worth paying for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kepp
Jun 26, 2002

Read my books!
I'm thinking about putting together the beginnings of an HTPC sometime soon and am looking to save some money. My main concern is displaying 720p content without any lag. I'm not going to be using it for gaming of any type. Displaying ripped DVDs and HD content and acting as media server are the only things its going to have to do until I figure out whether or not I want it to be a PVR as well. Room for expansion is important. I'm looking at purchasing the following:

Foxconn TLM436-CN300C-01 Black/Silver Steel MicroATX Mini Tower
ASUS M2A-VM HDMI Socket AM2 AMD 690G uATX AMD Motherboard
CORSAIR XMS2 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane 1.9GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADO3600DDBOX

I know very little about modern processors but from what I've read I think it should do what I want. Does anyone have any experience with the processor and/or onboard video?

Kepp
Jun 26, 2002

Read my books!
I went out and bought a new HTPC setup with a NVIDIA 8600 card and just installed Vista on a clean partition. What I'm confused about now is how to get the HD Pure Video working. I've been through their website, installed drivers and even got their NVIDIA HD decoder. I'm worried that this feature only works with HD-DVD and Bluray drives and not compressed content running off the hard disc. Anyone know what exactly you need to do to utilize Pure Video?

Kepp
Jun 26, 2002

Read my books!
Can anyone post successful codec setups they've used with Vista Media Center? I recently ran into some trouble with codecs and ended up with 720p content that stuttered. The problems stemmed from trying some patch I found to get matroska containers to play in media center without changing the ending to avi.

So my two problems are getting .mkv files to work in Vista Media Center and at the same time trying to get media center to harness my nVidia 8500. When I bought the parts for this HTPC I assumed I'd be able to play 720p flawlessly and possibly 1080p but that has not been the case.

For reference I'm running an AMD Windsor 3800, an nVidia 8500GT and two gigs of RAM on an nForce 4 motherboard. I've read through the thread and have seen the question thrown out multiple times but I haven't seen it clearly answered. Excuse me if I missed something blatantly obvious, I know it's annoying.

edit: matroska, not mastroka

Kepp fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 16, 2007

Kepp
Jun 26, 2002

Read my books!

kid sinister posted:

What was this patch that you tried to get Media Center to recognize .mkv files? If I remember correctly, you only need a registry hack to make Windows Media Player recognize .mkv as a playable type, which in turn will make it recogized by Media Center.

Yeah, that's what happened. I think something happened a few days afterward where MC wouldn't play .avi files so I freaked out and installed DefilerPak over CCCP and screwed myself.

Kepp
Jun 26, 2002

Read my books!

kid sinister posted:

I'd leave the registry hack in place, as that itself only enables MC to recognize .mkv files. Try uninstalling ALL of your codec packs, then installing the ones you want.

I already flattened it. I guess I was trying to get a feel for whether or not a definitive setup exists yet for the nVidia PureVideo video cards.

Kepp
Jun 26, 2002

Read my books!

dfn_doe posted:

Stuff

Thank you so much, I'm going to do this now.

Kepp
Jun 26, 2002

Read my books!
Just wanted to report back that 1080p content now renders flawlessly. Amazing guide.

Kepp
Jun 26, 2002

Read my books!
I have a real simple follow-up question to the HD nVidia guide. Which codec should I install to handle normal divx files? I'm asking mainly because I'm afraid that left to my own devices I'm going to kill the setup.

Also wanted to add that the MyMovies plugin for MC is pretty awesome in that it detects PowerDVD and allows you to let it handle playback.

Kepp
Jun 26, 2002

Read my books!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

(In before ffdshow is not really a codec pack.)

I thought ffdshow-tryout was the codec pack and ffdshow was more specific. I use ffdshow, haali splitter and PowerDVD codecs for HD stuff. I haven't run into anything I can't play.

edit: http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/

Kepp
Jun 26, 2002

Read my books!

windsor posted:

A comparison would be nice, as I'm still deciding on MeediOS, MediaPortal or Vista MC. Haven't had time to tinker with any of them.

Does VistaMC have a way to compete with TV Night? I know they have a plugin for MyMovies but TV Night on MeediOS really pushed me over. MeediOS can be a real pain to setup and is not very newbie friendly in my opinion.

Kepp
Jun 26, 2002

Read my books!

EC posted:

Have you see the latest version of TVNight? UFGrayMatter just released it over the weekend, and I've been helping him test it. You can update images (fanart, season images, and banners) directly from within the module now, and he added a "new episodes" button that will display episodes imported within the last X days. Very cool.

Whoa that looks very nice I'll have to try and install it. I've never gotten comfortable installing my own modules in MeediOS I've just ran with the MeediOS Ultimate or whatever they put together.

Kepp
Jun 26, 2002

Read my books!

Alowishus posted:

I just bought an Asus P5E-VM HDMI and highly recommend it. It's mATX and has pretty much everything you need right on board. Add a nice 45mm Core 2 and some RAM and you're good to go with something quiet and cool. The onboard graphics can drive 1080p and have the Intel Clear Video HD post-processing stuff.

What is the sound output like on the board? The one thing that makes me nervous about consolidating everything to on board HDMI output is sound interference. The motherboard I'm using now isn't necessarily for HTPC's but the on board sound was crap and there was tons of interference when playing movies at any kind of volume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kepp
Jun 26, 2002

Read my books!
Can anyone recommend a cheap USB IR receiver? I used to have a Microsoft MCE Remote until my dog, literally, ate it. I thought I had held onto the USB receiver for it but it looks like I lost it while moving. I recently picked up a Harmony 880 and just want a cheap way to get it to work with the computer without having to buy another remote in the process. USB-UIRT is around $50 and for that much I could just buy another MCE Remote. There's gotta be simpler and cheaper IR receivers.