Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I just threw together an ugly server/media PC out of old parts and scavenged bits. I've just sold my old CRT HD set and am ordering a 37" LCD this week so it should move out of the beta stage into full-usage mode soon.

- Athlon XP 2000 on an Abit NF7-Sv2
- 512MB PC3200 RAM
- Leadtek A6200TDH video card (VGA, DVI, and Component out, for $40)
- 160GB system drive and 300GB media drive, but media is on both of course
- lovely case with too-loud Antec PSU
- etc

I need/want a usable keyboard/trackpad combo and a remote control to use the media frontend which will be the most common usage. Hopefully this thread will give me some good ideas for frontends and input devices - I've tried TVedia and Mediaportal so far, both of which are perfectly usable but I'm not sold on either just yet. I'll try Meedio as soon as my LCD arrives.

Eventually, if I get everything working how I'd like, I plan to move to a smaller form-factor case that just looks like other stuff in my home theater rig. Right now it's more a matter of proving this is a realistic and usable setup to my girlfriend. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Is there any reason to keep using my Denon DVD player with the Faroudja progressive-scan chipset over a software DVD-player in my HTPC? That said, is a certain playback chain for DVDs on a PC superior? I am soon to get a 37" 720p LCD set, just so you know the screen.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I installed Meedio and am having issues playing back videos, in that many videos have audio but black screens. I usually can diagnose this to a codec issue, but they play fine in Media Player Classic. I only seem to be able to select "Default", "Overlay", "VMR7", and "VMR9". If I select WMV9 my framerate goes to poo poo. I don't know what's happening when I select that, but more videos appear to work in Meedio. I only have an athlon 2000 running at 200x10, so it's not exactly blazing fast. Any ideas?

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 3, 2007

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Can anyone who has a slick Meedio setup please try their hand at writing a guide, or point me to a RECENT guide? I'd like to have online and offline media split into TV and Movies. I'd love to have art like TVnight and Movienight seem to offer. Right now I've just been hitting stop points that are frustrating. The main problem I have at the moment is manually importing TV and Movies into separate databases, and having Meedio display them to me separately from each other.

I have no need to capture TV.

Thanks for any help.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

EC posted:

If you have some time tomorrow, PM me with your issues, and I'll see if I can help out. You could also post on meedios.com/forum as well.

I'm not sure what you would like, though. You create sep. libraries for both TV shows and movies, and you use sep. modules to view them both. When you say manually, are you talking about having to actually run the import (which you can schedule to occur at regular intervals or everytime you enter Meedio)? The online/offline thing can get a bit complicated, so you should probably should get the online stuff working first.

I don't seem to be able to get Meedio to use the databases I create with the import modules, instead of it making me navigate through directory hierarchy. When it installed it asked me how I wanted to add my media. I could either let Meedio find it (which I didn't want), or I could navigate through my directories to have Meedio play my media. I want neither solution - I want to set up my imports and have them run automatically.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Do you have any suggestions on mass-renamer tools, specifically for files named in the "scene" nomenclature?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

What the hell... now when I try to play a x264 video with Meedio it's crashing. :( This wasn't happening before!

Edit: fixed it, I think it was a subtitle issue.

So currently I have figured out how to add media and create categories, which is awesome. Stuff is playing fine, besides a weird issue with one video that plays upside down....

I'm going to tinker with TV and MovieNight and offline stuff soon.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 12, 2007

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mazachan posted:

Does anyone know of an easy way to convert a vga output to s-video or component output? I have a pc that only has a vga output and my tv is a little bit old, it doesn't have dvi or vga inputs. It seems like the only way to do it is to shell out the 100 bucks for a box that converts it. I thought there would be a cable or something that you can use to convert.

You can just get a video card that supports component out. Leadtek has a cheap 6200 that has it.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mazachan posted:

Can't. I got an ultra small form desktop with a built in video card.

It's one of those extra tiny cards with the half-height adapter, if that makes a difference. At least I think it is.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Bender posted:

It would be so nice if there was some sort of XBMC emulator or something for the PC. I used XBMC for a few years, but wanted something that could start displaying HD content. Windows Media Center for XP and Vista is all right, but it's just not as usable, intuitive, or customizable as I found XBMC to be.

MediaPortal is essentially the same thing IMO. Even has some of the same skins.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

V-Men posted:

Yeah, I'm with you on the processor part. Now, as for video card, I was under the impression that the 7600 series can also handle the majority of x264 processing. Is that correct?

I have a Leadtek 6200 that eats 720p x264 content up. I don't own a 1080p capable screen, but I'm willing to bet my Athlon XP 2000+ (at 200x10) wouldn't be able to handle it in the first place. The system is JUST fast enough for good 720p x264 playback, but it's all old spare parts so I'm happy with it for now.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I just recently got an Onkyo HTIAB and all is pretty drat well, besides some audio issues from my PC. The two issues I've noticed:

1)
After I play a .mkv with an AC3 audio track, I cannot go to iTunes (or any software) to play a stereo MP3 or video with stereo audio track. The receiver continues to display a DD light and no sound comes out. If I restart iTunes, all is well again.

2)
A .mkv with a DTS audio track did not play correctly at all.

Why is this happening? How can I fix it?

Some info:
- Chaintech AV-710 card, latest drivers
- AC3filter v1.11 used for AC3/DTS, set to pass-through via SPDIF
- Windows XP SP3
- Zoom Player v5 for my video player
- iTunes v8

I have tried setting AC3 filter in a variety of ways, with the checkbox for mpeg audio checked and unchecked, etc. Is there some magic combination of directX filters and audio driver settings that will make this work better?

Is there a way I can start from scratch, removing all the audio processing filters from the chain and just getting digital audio to simply pass through?!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm still having problems with iTunes not playing music after I play a DD/DTS audio stream through my PC video player. I am using the latest edition of ac3filter to send the signal through SPDIF for my videos. If I restart iTunes it plays music again.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

stgdz posted:

So what is conisdered the quietest hard drive?(non solid state)
I don't need a large size as my dvr is going in the basement, just need it quiet.

Any 7200rpm drive you get will be very quiet, but suspend it if you can and you won't ever hear it.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Recycled Karma posted:

It may not be much help, but I had the same problem with my HTPC. I wasn't using iTunes to play anything, just downloading video podcasts. My receiver would get "stuck" in DD/DTS mode if I played a video that had it while iTunes was running. My solution was to uninstall iTunes. The problem hasn't happened since.

That's not an option for me.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

TheRedEye posted:

I'm hoping one of you guys can help me out, I'm crap at knowing what I need and have a tendency to overspend.

This is what I need:

*Ability to play emulators, let's say Saturn/Dreamcast as a benchmark.

*Ability to reasonably play some modern PC games (not super high spec, just enough horsepower to be able to buy and play a new computer game for the first time in my life)

*HDMI output (as far as I can tell, there is no other way to go 1080p on my TV)

*A Windows operating system (not sure what is necessary)

This is what I don't need:

*Surround sound - I'm not ready to invest in speakers yet, my audio output is the TV. Ideally my HDMI output has the audio too, in normal stereo.

*Video capture - we have a Comcast DVR box, and I barely use the thing as it is.

*Internal storage, I'm building a network

This is what I already have:

*An e-GeForce 8800 GTX graphics card - not exactly top of the line anymore, but it seems good enough to play most games, right? I haven't even used it yet, I got it for free a couple years ago.

So I have two questions: which components should I buy to build a rig around that graphics card that meets my needs, and to your knowledge, will converting DVI to HDMI still allow me to display in 1080p, or do I need to sell this graphics card and get something else?

Not to try to disagree with you, but you can get quite a nice Onkyo HTIB for $2-300 routinely on sale on their web site, with free shipping, and the difference between sound coming out of your TV and surround sound makes ALL the difference in movies and contemporary gaming. I was truly amazed at how much surround added to my enjoyment.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

My bits and pieces will be arriving soon, so I was wondering what would be the best quick and dirty way to make sure my media plays correctly.

My system:
ASUS M3A78-EM
AMD 5050e 2.6+
2GB A-DATA RAM
old 300gb seagate drive
LG dvd-rw
CompuCase 7k09BB HTPC case

I'm planning on using the onboard everything, as I only play 720p video. I will likely need a cheap add-on graphics card to handle 1080p content once I own a 1080p display.

My plan of attack:
Install vista ultimate sp1
install updates
install CCCP
install Haali
install MyMovies plugin
run MCE for the first time, go through setup to create music library only
exit, run MyMovies, point it at movies and let it create db
Run MCE and enjoy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

dfn_doe posted:

Beware! Codec packs are generally poor practice. The shotgun approach to installing codecs/filters often times ends with unexpected render graphs. YMMV, but the trend around here seems to be advocacy towards installing specific codecs as needed.

I was told to install CCCP by someone who does high-end htpc work for a living, so I assume he knows what he's doing. However, I do understand the risks of codec packs and am interested in other solutions.