Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

SnatchRabbit posted:

I'm thinking about putting together some sort of HTPC solution, but not exactly sure which route I should go. Up until now, I've been using good old XBMC, but now that I have an HDTV, I think that's going to go into the bedroom which leaves the living room HTPC free. I'll have digital cable in a few days, but I don't want to pay for cablevisions lovely DVR. DVR functionality would be nice, but it's not really necessary. Mainly I just want something that will play DVD video_Ts folders, AVI, divx and such, plus music, maybe be able to handle torrents, but i dont really want ato use a keyboard and mouse on the couch. I modded a friend's apple tv but I just don't think the homebrew community is there yet. Then there's the Mac mini which is attractive with frontrow and an apple remote. I should mention that most of my media will be stores on my win xp box. Also might bump up to wireless N sooner or later.

As far as hardware goes I'll have a xbox 360, but not sure I want to deal with zune WMP11 and tversity and such. I also don't want to spend a whole lot on hardware if I can help it. I want a fairly innocuous setup, since I'm used to the monstrous xbox 1.0. This is what attracted me to the appleTV, as I said. Linux and mythtv could be a good idea, although id have to find a fairly small case to put under my TV. Any ideas?

If you're worried about size, then you probably don't want a homebrew case for your HTPC. Most cases specifically designed for HTPCs are about the size of a stereo receiver. I have seen a few slim cases designed to be HTPCs, but with those you need to use half-height cards and maybe a slim DVD drive, plus you'll need to fit smaller fans so it will be a bit louder.

I however am using a SFF PC to be my HTPC. They're small and usually a cheaper option, as they include a mobo and PSU that may be missing from a true HTPC case. Still, the size will be WAY bigger than an AppleTV or Mac Mini.

InTrouble posted:

will I be able to get my harmony to interface with an IR receiver if I don't have a remote to teach it commands? Looking though the harmony software it can control a Windows media center, but it asks me for the manufacturer, model, ect when my unit is home-built.

Try looking up Antec as a manufacturer in the harmony software. You might not even need to teach it any commands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Kepp posted:

Can anyone post successful codec setups they've used with Vista Media Center? I recently ran into some trouble with codecs and ended up with 720p content that stuttered. The problems stemmed from trying some patch I found to get matroska containers to play in media center without changing the ending to avi.

What was this patch that you tried to get Media Center to recognize .mkv files? If I remember correctly, you only need a registry hack to make Windows Media Player recognize .mkv as a playable type, which in turn will make it recogized by Media Center.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Kepp posted:

Yeah, that's what happened. I think something happened a few days afterward where MC wouldn't play .avi files so I freaked out and installed DefilerPak over CCCP and screwed myself.

I'd leave the registry hack in place, as that itself only enables MC to recognize .mkv files. Try uninstalling ALL of your codec packs, then installing the ones you want.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Gr1mm posted:

I'm currently using my 37 inch HDTV as my monitor, and use it for playing my movies and such, but now I believe I'm gonna move back to a regular monitor. But I'd still like to view movies on my HDTV, so I'm wonder what would be the best way to get my HDTV to act as my second monitor just for video? I'm using a 7600GT, 2 gigs of ram and a E6600 Core 2 Duo. I'm guessing I can run the video via DVI/HDMI, but for audio that brings up another question. I'm also looking at using this old home theater system of my father's, and I'm wonder how I can connect that to my computer and the videos coming from it, and also my TV for TV viewing and gaming.

With HDTVs, that can be a little tricky, especially if your monitor and HDTV aren't the same resolution.

How many ports does your graphics card have? If you're not concerned with quality, then you should easily be possible to clone the other port to your desktop.

As for hooking up your dad's old receiver to your computer, how old is it? If it's several years old, then it won't have any HDMI or DVI ports, so you would have to bypass it to hook up your video. Does your computer have any digital audio ports (optical or coaxial) as well as the receiver? If so, then cabling will be easier. If not, then you'll need to hook up some splitters to the lines for your desktop speakers and hook up some of these:
http://fyad.org/okjr

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

VulgarandStupid posted:

Anyone using Vista MCE to watch their videos? Pretty much my only goal is to watch downloaded videos on my HDTV and play music occasionally. Are you happy with Vista MCE for doing this? Should I bother with other stuff that isn't Vista MCE? Keep in mind I've already installed Vista Ultimate on my HTPC and it will remain that way, since I will be managing my downloads and such on this HTPC as well as occasionally doing normal PC tasks.

Oh and yes I have the Vista codec pack from the Vista thread in SHSC.

Does Vista MCE automatically recognize obscure filename extensions like *.mkv and *.ogm? I know in XP MCE you have to install a registry hack to get them all to show up in the MCE interface.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Does anybody know the status of when Blu-ray/HD-DVD combo drives hit the market? I would imagine that they'll cost your firstborn and you'll only be able to get them in pre-built PCs at first.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Boltsky posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827136124

It burns Bluray discs but can read HD DVDs.

Awesome! Only a thousand bucks, when a Bluray-only burner costs less than half that! Why do I have a feeling that over 2/3 of that is licensing costs and MPAA hush money? I suppose that if you just had to have a "do everything" HTPC box right now, it's technically possible...

I'm surprised LG was allowed to sell this drive alone this early. I would have figured that the licensing companies would force this drive to be sold only included in retail-built PCs.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

moron posted:

That looks really nice! Sadly, it looks like i've got sod all chance of getting one in the UK.

I don't know about that:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-bluegears-b...VQQcmdZViewItem
"Ships worldwide"
Of course, they want $20 more for it than Newegg does, and they'll assrape you on shipping...

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

desy posted:

I posted this in the sh/sc thread but it seems to have died pretty quickly so I'll ask here:

For all you people using a modded xbox how do you connect to your network? Unfortunately my router is on the other side of the house, so running a cable from my living room to it is out of the question. I am leaning towards using a PC instead so I can use a wireless usb card.

So do you all simply have a cable running from the xbox to your router?

You can use a wireless bridge to hook up an ethernet device to your wireless network. Also, if you happen to have an extra router (like vg8000 was talking about in the other thread) or wireless access point around, you can often reconfigure them to work as a wireless bridge. That's a big plus for routers, since you can usually get them for cheaper than a WAP or bridge, not to mention that they have a 4 port switch on the back.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
So I want to get back into the HTPC game for the first time since 2004 (gently caress, I'm old). Back then I had one box that could do everything: DVR, DVDs, videos and emulation all on one WinXP MCE 2005 box. Right now I got my PS3 to do most of those, but the one thing I miss is the DVR functionality. So what's my best option for a do-everything box 9 years later?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Fillerbunny posted:

You can do the things you want to do with XBMC and a PC. I don't know what form factor you're after with the computer, but the DVD drive may be your limiting option there. DVR functionality isn't perfect, especially if you're used to MCE. I never used it much, but I understand people liked it a lot. Emulators take some doing, but I was under the impression that emulation was going to get rolled into the master branch of XBMC relatively soon, so it might get better soon.

Kri kri's answer may be cynical, but is technically correct. There certainly is no easy plug and play answer, unfortunately.

Well I suppose I could keep the DVDs and Blurays out since the PS3 does them. Wait a tick, I think I have a spare Win7 Pro license somewhere, along with my old remote and its receiver. I suppose I could still do Media Center. I would just need a new box, a modern tuner card and then jump back into codec hell. VLC, you spoiled me. :argh:

Or is XBMC what all the cool kids are doing now? Is it that good?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 4, 2013

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

EC posted:

XBMC is a treat, although it can take some getting used to. Once you understand the basics you'll never go back. The new version supports various PVR backends, although your success with that can vary depending on what you have an what you want to do. Emulators are easy to setup and get working with a little effort on your part. Definitely check it out.

They're also the most organized group of people making free software I've ever seen, too.

I'm not dead set on a form factor yet. I don't have enough spare parts right now to throw together a NAS or backend so I may just get a bigger HTPC case so I can fill it with hard drives.

Even more organized than the Firefox crew?

I'll put it this way: it sounds that XBMC now is like MythTV back in 2004 when I first got into this, and I didn't go that route since it required a metric fuckton of tweaking and fine tuning to get it to work right, even for a Linux-based program. Is XBMC any better than that?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 4, 2013

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
So is there a standard tuner card/device now that everyone and their mother supports? Back in the day it was the Hauppauge PVR-250.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

Google tells me MCE's can view live TV streamed from a Media Center PC.

Wouldn't any MCE box have to live stream TV from an HDHomeRun since it's a standalone network device?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
My wife wants to sell crap on Facebook live streaming. The last time I've dealt with video capture was building a HDTV 14 years ago when Hauppauge was king. What are the cool kids using now to capture HDMI off a camera?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Sorry but no MLM. It's actually lady's fashion and other stuff she liquidates. I didn't believe how much someone in Kazakhstan will spend for a Michael Kors purse that isn't a Chinese knock off. People are stupid.

Ixian posted:

Agreed on both points. Also if it is an MLM (it's an MLM) you are better off just going with the phone you probably have and not investing in a bunch of video production stuff because hoo-boy are you in for a financial ride.

I told her that several times, but she's pretty far along with that. The studio, the lights, the mikes, the camera... I'm just looking for advice on how to get that video into a PC for streaming.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 7, 2018