Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

choo choo
Nov 26, 2002
I need someone to go over my proposal for a HTPC system and tell me if I'm straying, or if there's options I missed.

Hardware:
P4 2.4ghz
1gb DDR333
ATI 9800 Pro
Hauppauge PVR-350

Now, I have an extensive video, TV show, and music collection that I want to be served, as well as some cable recordings such as hockey games and random things now and then that I want the PVR capabilities with. I will not be recording many shows everyday.

I can't afford a HD TV as of now, and my current CPU won't do HD very well anyways, so I decided to start with this, and look for something new later on, after I get a better TV. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Also, I am leaning towards a MythTV setup. I want to use the box as a backend & frontend combo, as well as a second frontend setup on my Macbook. Also for single file streaming to the Macbook as well (via VLC). What other software can do this and is easy to use?

A large part of my media viewing will be divx and xvid files. Is there any software that excels in this part of the media center package?

This box is also my defacto Usenet and torrent downloader, which I control remotely via the Macbook. Will this have any impact on the HTPC side of things? (aside from unpacking and things I can set to a lower cpu priority).

Really I just want to get some recommendations for the best media center software than handles all my needs.

EDIT - Anyone want to make a usage comparison between Media Portal, and MythTV? I mean how easy it is to setup, and then ease of use after. Is there shortcomings with either of them?

choo choo fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 29, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

choo choo
Nov 26, 2002
I'm aiming to replace my server + WDTV Live combo with a much more low-power friendly HTPC/NAS.

The current server is a single Xeon 3.0ghz, 6GB RAM, with 3x300gb and 3x150gb hotswap SCSI drives. Hugely overpowered for my needs.

It is a file server, sabnzbd+ downloader, and torrent downloader. It feeds files to 2 laptops, but mostly is a repository for the WDTV Live to pull from.

I'd like to replace the whole setup with an attractive and cheap HTPC/NAS combo.

Here's my current plan:

Atom 330 with nVidia ION
2GB (2x1GB) DDR3 RAM
WD 2TB hard drive 'A/V' model
Apevia 250W PSU
nMedia HTPC case (room for at least 1 5.25", and 2 3.5" SATA drives
MCE Remote

This needs to handle x264 .mkv playback at 1080p @ 24p (likely through XBMC), as well as handle the sabnzbd and torrent duties of the old server.

I'm trying to keep this cheap, and power friendly.

Will this setup handle my needs? Any parts that you'd swap out for?

If 1080p x264 playback is too much for the thing I guess I could always strip out the HTPC parts of it, and build just a NAS instead (leave the WDTV Live for media duty)