Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
What is the best mpeg encoder for Windows Media Center 2005?

I have a VBox Cat's Eye 150...

They suggest Mainconcept Mpeg encoder for MCE, but I was wondering if there was a better / free alternative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

So apparently Shuttle, http://us.shuttle.com/G5_3300m.aspx, and HP, http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2007/05/hp_goes_into_dualformat_territory.html (not sure about this one...) are selling dual format drives for HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. Where are they getting these drives?

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

What's going on with these HD DVD and Blu Ray drives? Why are HD-DVD only external, and why can't I buy a combo HD DVD / Blu-Ray drive that some PC manufacturers (Shuttle) are advertising in their new computers?

Treytor fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 19, 2007

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

My media center PC has a 8600GT, connected to my 37" flat LG HDTV via component at 1080i, and I'm having a bad problem with video tearing. It only happens with videos decoded with ffdshow in windows media player. Any ideas how I can resolve this?

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Is there any way to take line out / optical out / SPDIF out from a PC add that audio signal to an HDMI cable?

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

KaLogain posted:

How do you guys access folders and files from another vista computer from your vista htpc. I've shred the folders, and I see them on the network in the "folder" for the pc, but I can't go into the folder, "access is denied" I've looked and I seem to be doing everything right, I've created a user account for the htpc on the computer the files are on and it doesn't work. Any Ideas?

I've had all kinds of problems like this. In addition to the permissions set correctly and the group 'Everyone' being allowed, check the security tab of the drive / folder you are trying to share and make sure Everyone is specified in there as well. Stupid I know, but it took me 2 months to figure this one out and would have saved me a lot of headache had I known this...

Edit:
VVV That was my thought as well... until I found the above mentioned. Try it. VVV

Treytor fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Nov 11, 2007

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Does anyone in here have any experience with the Origen AE S21T case? I have 2 of them and was having an issue with the TFT touch screen.

As you can see, when I set it to 1920x180 in clone mode, I get these black bars on the left side. No adjusting can fix it, either. Any ideas?

Treytor fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 13, 2007

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Mike Toole posted:

Hey, what's the story with that newfangled HD-DVD/blu-ray combo drive that everyone's trying to get? Is it still backordered to hell and back? I've got my media PC, it works awesome, now I just want one of these drives and a Radeon HD to future-proof myself. Has anyone gotten one yet? Any known issues?

I have one and it does exactly what it's supposed to.

The software solution to playing the content is still very new, as Cyberlink Power DVD Ultra Deluxe super edition is the only player I know of that properly plays Blu Ray / HD DVD discs. Other than that, it works great.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Snozzberry Smoothie posted:

I'm interested in setting up a Media PC in my living room. Vista's Media Center looks nice, but I really don't need anything to do with television, recording, etc. I have a fair few DivX files and MP3's that I'd like to easily access, as well as games that I'd like to play on my TV.

Is it possible to ditch all the stuff like that I don't want from Media Center? I like the interface, from what I've seen, but I'm not looking to build a TiVo alternative - Just a simple way to play videos and music, that's fully customizable. If not, what are my other options?

http://www.mediacenterguides.com/index.php?title=Menu_Customization

This tells you how to remove the stuff you don't want from Vista's Media Center.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Bender posted:

This might be a related question to the one above.

I recently got HD-DVDs to play through PowerDVD using the SlySoft AnyDVD product to bypass the HDCP monitor requirement. Problem is, the video is slightly choppy.

I'm on Windows XP.
Athlon 64 3700+ CPU
Nvidia 7600 GT video card
1 GB RAM

Which of these components would be best to upgrade to get choppy-free video? Would a RAM increase even make a difference at all?

I'm using the Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive, and I do have the Nvidia PureVideo codec enabled, if any of that makes a difference.

My first guess would be the processor, and then the video card. Try ripping the DVD (using AnyDVD) to your hard drive and then play it to ensure it's not your external drive having trouble keeping up, which I doubt.

Currently only PowerDVD Ultra 7.3.3319a or earlier will play HD movies off the hard drive. Newer versions have disabled that feature.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Bender posted:

It was my processor. The 3700+ is just under the limit that PowerDVD can work with, apparently.

I was able to get a nice dual-core Athlon X2 chip from newegg.com for only ~$70. One of the last socket 939 chips I could find. I also got a fanless GForce 8400GS. The HDDVD movies play like a dream now.

On a side note, the tiny fan over my northbridge sounds like satan raping a pile of cats if I leave it plugged in. Does anyone know if there would be any major heat problems if I leave it unplugged. I've been running for about 2 hours now with no issue, but I don't plan on turning the box off except for rare circumstances, and I don't want to burn my home down.

This should be okay, but I would get an extra case fan just to be sure. Take the dead fan off to allow for a little better airflow over the northbridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

weaaddar posted:

I have the a somewhat similar machine to this
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4209676
The above computer isn't exactly my machine but its close enough.
AMD X2 4000+ 2.1 GHZ
1 gb of ram (A bit low maybe)
DL DVD writer
Built-in video card NVidia 6150 w/128 mb of ram(I know, I know crap)
320 gb harddrive
I bought the machine very cheap (sub 300 dollars), and the case is fairly attractive.
I want to use it as my HTPC for mostly 480p videos, hddvd rips and I want hook up my xbox's HD-DVD drive to my 1080p display.

Would this machine have the performance necessary to run vista's built in media center for the above tasks?
If not which component is most suggested to update? I'm assuming I probably need to buy a video card.

Definitely get another gig of ram (Vista loves ram) and possibly a new video card. You might be okay with that onboard, though. Get the ram and try it out.