Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
I was about to purchase a Zacate motherboard/cpu/gpu combo and then read that they don't work well with Netflix. Is there another combo that people recommend that isn't a year and a half old and/or doesn't have issues with Silverlight? Am I just better off getting a more powerful machine?

Xenix fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

jonathan posted:

I use makemkv for DVD's, the paid version does bluray as well. Pretty simple but doesn't have a ton of options.

You do not need to pay for MakeMKV to do bluray. It's free while MakeMKV is in beta. It's also really easy to use.

edit: It'll still ask you for a key. They provide a temporary one here

Xenix fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 22, 2012

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
I've had the same HTPC for about 11 years now and it's been slowly dying. I'd love to replace it with something like a Raspberry Pi, but they are perpetually out of stock and I don't really feel like buying one from one of the many places trying to make a buck flipping them on Amazon. At this point, I mostly use it to watch Youtube with adblocker. I'd like to replace it and have the following needs and wants:

• Youtube with adblock
  • Stream via Plex, netflix, etc
  • Emulate older consoles (mostly just a want)

Is there something out there that isn't a Pi that would readily do these things without building a new HTPC or fixing the failing components in my current one? I know casting youtube from another device to my TV is probably a better option for the youtube stuff, but the ads annoy me and I'm hesitant to install a third party youtube app (though it looks like Youtube vanced is no longer a thing?)

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

SamDabbers posted:

You can get Alder Lake mini PCs for less than the Shield TV Pro and they have AV1 hardware decoding. Something like this

Ah that's probably the closest thing to what I'm looking for coming from what I have now. I have a gen 3 i3 or i5 in my box, which is basically this thing but bigger. Thanks for all the responses. I'll also look into the Xbox thing, too.